Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Thoughts on AMS vs. ETS IC cores

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009 | 05:57 AM
Former Sponsor

im on the ams ic and love it
Old Aug 27, 2009 | 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

I support ETS all the way. I have put my ETS 3.5inch intercooler through the ringer. Last time I was at the track I hot lapped my car 4 times in a row withing a 4 minute period in 88deg weather. The car trapped consistent 132mph traps. Now that is efficient cooling for sure. All of my dyno numbers and track times in my sig are with the ETS 3.5inch intercooler on my car.

The fitment is flawless, the customer service is excellent, and the pricing is very competitive.
Old Aug 27, 2009 | 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

we use the begi cores.....you can see their stuff at http://bellintercoolers.com/

they tend to be a true high density core
Old Aug 27, 2009 | 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

There are pro's and con's for both:
The AMS intercooler has been proven to make monster power for years. The build quality is exceptional. It is pretty expensive and there is no option for anodizing.
The ETS intercooler looks absolutely amazing. It fills the opening better. You have several end-tank options depending on your bumper or Cusco brace. It is a little cheaper and you can get it anodized from ETS. There just isn't as much data to show how the intercooler works after several runs (anybody correct me if I'm wrong). It seems like messing with the end-tanks at the top will only make things worse.

I went with AMS simply because of their track record. I road race here in Texas so I had to be sure that the intercooler can dissipate enough heat during the hot summers. I got mine anodized locally which cost me an arm and a leg. But I went with ETS for my intercooler pipes, so they equal out.

Side note: Another guy just got a 3.5"ETS intercooler and will be racing with me in September. I'll post up any comments if I remember.
Old Aug 27, 2009 | 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

There are folks in the Ecuflash section that have been logging IC effectiveness...You may want to look in that section...
Old Aug 27, 2009 | 08:01 AM

I have the ETS, no complaints!
Old Aug 27, 2009 | 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

wow if JMFab really does that deal!!!
yea the guy i was gonna get the AMS from said his car had cooling issues with that IC. Then ETS states about cooling issues because of the density of the garrett cores so i kinda threw the garrett core thing out the window unless ETS really does a garrett for the same price
i serched and searched and searched and no real info yet other then buschurs posts on his forums

i checked in the ecu flash section and there is nothing. any lnks?

Last edited by AWD_Terror; Aug 27, 2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2009 | 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

I posted this on the other thread that was linked. So I will post it here as well.

Jeff,

It's not BS. If you slap a garrett core on a dsm, you will see overheating like crazy. The reference is a general reference. Cars that are not designed with a front mount. RX7, 300zx, 1G, 2G, GVR4, Supra, the list goes on and on. Suffer from over heating by the garrett core. The garrett core uses a very dense external fin pack that does blow air flow the radiator. The evo is an exception to this since it has ducting that allows air flow to the radiator, but it still does block more air then ours to the radiator. There is no way around that.

We have tested the garrett core vs our core and they both have the same AIT when tested back to back. The internal fin design is very similar to the garrett, but the external fin pack is staggered and louvered to allow air flow to the radiator without sacrificing heat dissipation.

I haven't tested the AMS core, but the external fin design is very similar to ours. Garrett relies on a turbulence factor to cool air which creates a wall and prevents a ton of airflow to pass through to the radiator.

If you set 2 intercoolers side by side, the garrett and the ets you will see the key difference and what i'm talking about.

If anyone has questions regarding our products or design let me know! Again, we don't just build intercoolers for the Evo. So we have tested several platforms and an off the shelf core will not work for most vehicles, so we designed a core that keeps the same AIT and allows more air flow to the radiator.

We have no problem selling the Garrett intercooler core if a customer has to have it. We offer it at the same price as the ETS core.

5" ETS = $849.00
4.5" Garrett = $849.00

4.0" ETS = $699.00
3.8" Garrett = $699.00

3.5" ETS = $599.00
3.5" Garrett = $599.00

3.0" ETS = $499.00

We stock around 600 different core sizes in the ETS core. Ranging from 10" wide to 30" wide and up to 36" Tall in thicknesses ranging from 3.0" to 6.0"

Thanks!

Michael
Old Aug 28, 2009 | 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

^^^Great info Michael. You guys seem to really have your stuff together up there.
Old Aug 28, 2009 | 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

seems fishy......why would one car over heat and 100 others don't over heat?
Old Aug 28, 2009 | 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fuct
seems fishy......why would one car over heat and 100 others don't over heat?

Dunno, just what the dude told me thats selling his.
Its on Ebay right now for $385.
I dunno anything about his setup tho so I cant say.