Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Coolant Leak Around Back of Motor. ( With Pics )

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolant Leak Around Back of Motor. ( With Pics )

I have posted on here before about my leak but have never really came up with a solid answer. I am definately leaning towards the headgasket not sealing properly and a coolant passage is leaking. I did a compression test and its perfect. I put Buschur head on the car a few months ago and it has been leaking out the back since it was tuned. If your looking at the front of the car the leak is coming from under the far left intake manifold runner right around where the water pump is bolted to the motor. I can not see any leaks coming directly from the water pump but while the car is running if I watch the area it leaks from and give the car gas I can see it start to come out. My question is can a bad water pump cause this possibly or am I right with the gasket just not sealing properly?

Here are the pics. This was with me putting a mirror by the dip stick so you can see under the intake manifold. You can see the freeze plug in the water pump so it gives you an idea of where your looking.

Old Aug 26, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the pics it does look to be seeping out the back of the head, just be careful because if you can visually see it leak I would think it would be very possible for it to leak into other things as well such as the cylinder and oil. I would be removing the head and checking the head and block for flatness to be sure it is in spec. Believe it or not I have seen a few stock blocks that weren't very flat. Clean both surfaces then use a new stock head gasket and torque it back on in the correct sequence.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 07:26 PM

Is that coolant on TOP of the head gasket? If so, it's the head gasket leaking. The entire water pump is BELOW the head gasket.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks, like a head is not seating properly I would check ^^^ also
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

I am not seeing any white smoke at all while driving or WOT and my oil doesn't look milky at all either so it looks like its just not sealing properly around one of the coolant passages. Would a local machine shop be able to check the flatness of my head instead of me having to ship it somewhere? Also I am using basic ARPs at 34psi so I might have lifted the head some because like I said it didn't start leaking till after I was tuned. I drove around for about a week before getting tuned just to let everything set and it never leaked. Might be time to step up to some L19s
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AcePitcher11
I am not seeing any white smoke at all while driving or WOT and my oil doesn't look milky at all either so it looks like its just not sealing properly around one of the coolant passages. Would a local machine shop be able to check the flatness of my head instead of me having to ship it somewhere? Also I am using basic ARPs at 34psi so I might have lifted the head some because like I said it didn't start leaking till after I was tuned. I drove around for about a week before getting tuned just to let everything set and it never leaked. Might be time to step up to some L19s
You can check the flatness yourself by using a straight edge and a feeler gauge. On the block the book calls for a standard value of no more than .05mm or .0020 of an inch if I remember correctly and I believe the head is the same.

I don't think you need L19 head studs, just a correct clean install. Keep in mind that detonation can cause a head gasket to fail but you will know if this was the case when you take it off.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Do you guys reccommend to spray any kind of sealant on the head gasket to help it seal a little better?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AcePitcher11
Do you guys reccommend to spray any kind of sealant on the head gasket to help it seal a little better?
No I do not, many people do use a copper spray but I am not one to recommend it (just my opinion). The one time I used it I ended up finding the copper in the coolant and who knows where else it went. I just didn't like seeing this, I have used small amount of RVT on the back of the gasket around some of the passages.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:41 AM

I've used a hi-tack red spray before that was recommended by Fel-pro for use with their mls head gasket. I want to say Permatex made it, but my buddy says Fel-pro did. Anyway, we've used it on Mitsu and Fel-pro mls hg's with good success on a 16g/direct port nitrous cars up to 35r cars.