Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

3.8" Garrett IC vs. 4" ETS IC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,
someone beet me to it. Your selling point has absolutely nothing to do with an evo and u happen to be on an evo forum in a thread about an evo. My personal experince has netted a 29whp/19wtq gain going to a Garret core from yours. My graphs and links are all over this forum so I was trying not to post it in hear, but numbers don't lie. You can argue all you want but the proof is everywhere from buschur, Cbrd, and forum members repeating the same results.

I'm not saying your products don't work or don't have a good application outside of the evo specific market. I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way but I am just tryng to help other foum members get the most out of their cars. Your pictures above ae actually showing people why the Garret core is more efficient then your own

Jeff
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by atkins
Mike,
someone beet me to it. Your selling point has absolutely nothing to do with an evo and u happen to be on an evo forum in a thread about an evo. My personal experince has netted a 29whp/19wtq gain going to a Garret core from yours. My graphs and links are all over this forum so I was trying not to post it in hear, but numbers don't lie. You can argue all you want but the proof is everywhere from buschur, Cbrd, and forum members repeating the same results.

I'm not saying your products don't work or don't have a good application outside of the evo specific market. I'm sorry if I came across the wrong way but I am just tryng to help other foum members get the most out of their cars. Your pictures above ae actually showing people why the Garret core is more efficient then your own

Jeff
Jeff,

Your testing was on seperate days correct? It wasn't a true back to back test? Several things change from one day to another. The tune changes, etc. You could have had a boost leak before, there are several variables. We have seen our products perform time and time again with no problems. You will also see several other threads on here that have nothing but good results! It's unfortunite you had a bad experience, but because it happen to your car it doesn't mean it's going to happen to every car.

The facts I pointed out are relevant to evo in several aspects. The main being air flow blockage to the radiator is blockage to the radiator, no way around that. You may have ducting that provides air to the radiator, but you still hindering flow. That's like saying if we put a plate in the bumper opening and it's ok, because we have air ducts to the radiator..

Thanks,

Michael

Last edited by ETS Michael; Aug 27, 2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Another Note.. We have done back to back testing in house and both cores had the same gains and air intake temps. We have also tried several other variants before deciding on the core design. Don't get me wrong, the Garrett is not a bad core, we just have different designs.

Michael
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:21 PM
Account Disabled

I passed on ETS seeing that they under performed next to Buschur's intercoolers.

I have talked to a bunch of guys who sold their ETS cores to go with Buschur's and or CBRD's.

These guys all have street cars as well. I know that Michael uses the selling point that the ETS cores are for street cars. Well not the case here with me and my buddies, they saw higher temps with the ETS.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Michael, awesome comparo!
Any chance to get a core shot from the end that gets the tanks to compare the fin rate there?

IM glad we are finally getting someone to give us some more info. This will be great for searching purposes later for others. I have looked thru like every thread and they are very wishy washy and just comments. Nothing hard set like pictures, comparos, figures, ect.
We are deff getting closer.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm not using a selling point... We offer both the Garrett and the ETS Core? I'm telling you what we have seen and several other shops seen...

It's up to the customer to make the end decision. We have several places that sell/install our kits and never had a problem!

MAPerformance, Extreme PSI, TTP, Mike@AWD, Slowboy Racing, English Racing, Tuning Technologies, Road Race, ETc, Etc.. The list goes on and on. We have done back to back testing ourselfs.

I don't think we would be in business if we sold a part that didn't work =) Everyone has a shop that they love and it's usually the one closest to them..

Thanks for your time!

Thanks,

Michael
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AWD_Terror
Michael, awesome comparo!
Any chance to get a core shot from the end that gets the tanks to compare the fin rate there?

IM glad we are finally getting someone to give us some more info. This will be great for searching purposes later for others. I have looked thru like every thread and they are very wishy washy and just comments. Nothing hard set like pictures, comparos, figures, ect.
We are deff getting closer.
Let me see what I can do. I appreciate your feedback. It's funny to see the guys jump down our throat when we offer both cores =) Either way, we sell the intercoolers... I'm just trying to tell you why I feel one is better then the other! Both cores are very similar in price. I think the question people should be asking is why are you paying so much more else where, where you can get the same core from us at a fraction of the price and a higher quality product!

Thanks,

Michael

Last edited by ETS Michael; Aug 27, 2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
Let me see what I can do. I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks you Michael!

These are always going to turn into my dads car will beat your dad's car threads. Im glad you can still come in here and provide info like this. To some people this means alot that you are willing to spend the time.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AWD_Terror
Thanks you Michael!

These are always going to turn into my dads car will beat your dad's car threads. Im glad you can still come in here and provide info like this. To some people this means alot that you are willing to spend the time.
The reason we are on the forum is we have tested and believe in what we sell. The product works! If it didn't, we wouldn't sell tons of these kits everyday!

Thanks,

Michael
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:34 PM
Account Disabled

I do not live in Ohio anymore there Michael. However, I do get your point about going to a shop near you.

Maybe if I am ever in the area I can stop by and buy you a beer and a hot dog.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheDream
I do not live in Ohio anymore there Michael. However, I do get your point about going to a shop near you.

Maybe if I am ever in the area I can stop by and buy you a beer and a hot dog.
It's on me!

Michael
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

the garrett core looks busier than the ets core
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fuct
the garrett core looks busier than the ets core

in techinical terms from someone who sources IC cores such as your self, this means what to a consumer?

Id deff like to see more technical info on these threads. I get tired of searching for these threads and the posts say

" I have ETS, I like it"
" I got a CBRD, they are great"
"I have Buschur. We all know Buschur is god!"
" I went with AMS because they have the fastest Evo in the world"
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Mike,
you are correct the test were done on seperate days, like 10 days apart. Boost leek test were done before both tunes so that's out of the equation. The day the Garret core was tested it was hotter, 25% higher humidity and rainng outside, so take that for what it's worth. Just putting the Garret core on and not tuning the car made the same power as the ets but was a lot richer due to the more efficient design. We were able to make more power by evenng out the afr to were it was before with ets core and the ait dropped enough that we could add timing throughout the power band starting with initial spool up to make even more power throuout the whole curve just not up top. I was there during the whole process being shown everystep that was taken because I to didn't think that the Garret core would make more power then the ets, but I saw the proof right n front of me. I saw the graphs after every pull was made and saw every change tha was made in person in real time. After that experience there is nothng you can say to try and prove your core is better then a Garret one. My conclusion is based on facts not what ithink I know.

Your in house testing is not worth that much either considering it's not a unbiest test in any way. Take a look at the buschur forums, there is a full thread on there with him logging intake temps from random intercoolers w random turbos just gving plain information from testing he has done. The garret core is more effecient then ant other core he tested plain and simple. I'll post I link when I get s chance.

Jeff
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

here is a before and after going from the ets3.5 inch core to the garret core the conditions are listed in the post above.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...k-ftw-scan.jpg

the only change was the intercooler.

jeff

Last edited by atkins; Aug 27, 2009 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.8" Garrett IC vs. 4" ETS IC