Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Magnus vs Driven Innovation intake test

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And Mike that's what sucks the most. Discouraging vendors or members from publishing comparo/results/testing...whatever because of the ensuing flamewar/ name calling ( nut swinger ) etc... I'm not saying this thread is to that extent but everyones seen it.

I'll take any and all data I can get when it comes to these motors and let my intelligence...or lack there of guide me if it is worth anything or not.

So, to the OP....Thanks.

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I UNDERSTAND that sharing information with competitors, regardless of it's nature, may compromise your performance advantage. No one elses shares their ignition advance, so why start now? The issues comes when less informed people are making decisions as to which product to run without significant data to support the claim regardless of it's eventual validity. This thread IS and WILL be used as a deciding factor between the two intake manifolds for several forum members... whether or not you intended it to be.
This is funny. To those "several" forum members who take one post on a forum as gospel and part ways with their hard earned 800+ dollars...they got what they haave coming to them if they get junk parts.

It's called get informed, if you want your 800 + dollar manifold to treat you right, do some research before you buy it. Read/Search/email/call/read and search again...Buy.

Last edited by zbomb; Sep 1, 2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the new 8-injector manifold

Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
DI,
what kind of Tig welder do you have? Dynasty 350dx? What torch?

Oh... and I forgot that this was a 9. Did you happen to do timing sweeps on the MIVEC?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

Like Gadiel said he paid both intakes and he did r&d in his own car I was there and talking on race fuel at 35 psi with the magnus had 68? And at same 35 psi with DI intake 728 and the power curve was more impressive from low rpm to the top end is ridiculous how it was working at race fuel to bad we run out of fuel and Gadiel couldnt finish but I know as soon he finish it he will post the results DI FTW and Gadiel doing and amazing job on his car
Old Sep 8, 2009, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RACE MAN
Like Gadiel said he paid both intakes and he did r&d in his own car I was there and talking on race fuel at 35 psi with the magnus had 68? And at same 35 psi with DI intake 728 and the power curve was more impressive from low rpm to the top end is ridiculous how it was working at race fuel to bad we run out of fuel and Gadiel couldnt finish but I know as soon he finish it he will post the results DI FTW and Gadiel doing and amazing job on his car
Thank you for confirming! I do appreciate your input Oscar!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Driven Innovations
Here is the new 8-injector manifold

I still haven't seen or posted here the mani they have tested? Can you post pics Tom?
Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evovin
I still haven't seen or posted here the mani they have tested? Can you post pics Tom?
Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2009, 06:58 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
DI,
what kind of Tig welder do you have? Dynasty 350dx? What torch?

Oh... and I forgot that this was a 9. Did you happen to do timing sweeps on the MIVEC?
Looks MIG'd. The dime stacking looks pretty heavy. Hard to tell about penetration but with that top heavy dime stacking it probably isn't into the material like a TIG. Not to say that MIG is bad, but I had a half penetration welded MIG'd intercooler that seperated at 20psi and needed major reinforcement to withstand 30psi. I'll never go back to any welded intercooler or intake ever again. Cast only for this guy.

I'll take a cast manifold anyday due to reliability. Its pretty easy to break any sheetmetal intake manifold with an intake backfire. The cast ones take the abuse and come back for more. That is important if your car actually see's any street time.

Last edited by 0xDEAD; Sep 8, 2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
0xdead, obviously you know very little about welding. That intake doesn't look anything at all like an aluminum or steel for that matter, MIG weld. You are out of your mind.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
0xdead, obviously you know very little about welding. That intake doesn't look anything at all like an aluminum or steel for that matter, MIG weld. You are out of your mind.
Even if Tom used a solder gun/iron, the manifold has pass the 50psi durability boost test!
Tom's products are top notch and even if there was a problem he stands behind his work!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 0xDEAD
Looks MIG'd. The dime stacking looks pretty heavy. Hard to tell about penetration but with that top heavy dime stacking it probably isn't into the material like a TIG. Not to say that MIG is bad, but I had a half penetration welded MIG'd intercooler that seperated at 20psi and needed major reinforcement to withstand 30psi. I'll never go back to any welded intercooler or intake ever again. Cast only for this guy.

I'll take a cast manifold anyday due to reliability. Its pretty easy to break any sheetmetal intake manifold with an intake backfire. The cast ones take the abuse and come back for more. That is important if your car actually see's any street time.
Sir, I think you have no idea what your talking about!

My welder has 18 years of experience and has been AWS certified for past 12! We get about 90-100% on all our welds. Our material is 1/8 inch or thicker. The design also uses large radius's for strength!

The manifolds have been tested on race cars to over 60psi! We pressure test them to over 80psi before they are shipped! We have pressured them to over 110psi by accident in the past without any problems.

We did have issues in the beginning due to the welder. Since than I changed the welder and not one manifold issue.

90% of people running DI manifolds have street cars!

@ R/T
We use old school TIG Air Products VIA-ARC THFC200RJ and CNI-20 torch! We have 350 dynasty and the 200RJ TIG welds aluminum much better!

Cast manifolds are great and reliability is unbeatable! But dont be folled as even stock ones crack! I understand where your coming from but its unfortunate that the company that invested in cast manifold lacked in R&D! The results are shown above!

Last edited by Driven Innovations; Sep 8, 2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 0xDEAD

LOL

I vote on this being best post of the week.

Nice job DI on making a nice looking and great performing piece.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Nice! I run a Dynasty 200dx with an air cooled torch. It makes welding aluminum exciting! haha. I'm surprised that your welder doesn't like the 350dx. I'm not familiar with the 200RJ... I'll have to look it up tomorrow. The 350dx has some nice features especially for Tig welding alum (balance/freq/pulser/squarewave/etc) The 200dx has a lot of the same features, but without the raw amperage to get penetration without significant pre-heat.

I'd be interested to hear what your welder thinks about the 350, because I was looking into upgrading from my 200.

Your welder is very skilled. Only two stops on the longest weld on the plenum... he runs all his beads in the same direction and stops in the same place. Something that only another tig welder would notice, but it's the attention to detail that makes him an excellent welder.

Here's an intake manifold I did earlier this year. I've also done a lot of work on intake manifold development for our FSAE team... it took a lot of dyno pulls and ideas to find out what worked and what didn't.

Keep up the great work!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
R/T, looks nearly identical to AMS's.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

But it's for an SRT-4

Quick Reply: Magnus vs Driven Innovation intake test