Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The best forged piston money can buy!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are some really well made pistons out there these days.

I've been running AMS spec Ross pistons at over 700WHP DAILY for awhile now.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like Ross as well. They make some good stuff..
Old Aug 30, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got Carrillo rods and teamed them up with CP pistons for my 2.3L + T67 build...
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
CP Pistons followed by JE.
+ 1 but I would also add Wiseco HD some where in there
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by konstantinosIX
Hello,
I am just wondering...
Which one is the best forged piston money can buy for heavily built Evo IX?
I was thinking that this piston have to be 2618 and with ofset pin (more timing)... or not???
I am talking about pistons for 700+++ whp Evo's.
Too many brands out there... but it must be something that is the best...
The best huh? Well if money is no object contact these folks and see if you could get something made up.

http://ipp.nasa.gov/innovation/Innovation54/complic.htm
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
This is going to go on forever

Been running 700 for awhile with no major issues.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
This could quite possibly be one of the worst threads I have ever seen for answers, sorry if it offends any of you that answered.

I have been building 4g63's for nearly 20 years. Not sure when I built the first one but very-very early 1990's. I've used Venolia, Ross, Wiseco, JE, Manley, CP and I am sure a few others I can't remember. None of them were "bad". I have never seen a pistons just fall apart into powder, so it's not like any of them are "bad".

Most of what has been recommended will hold up to 700 hp no problem. Is that what you want? You want one that is good for 700 hp, what about RPM? I can tell you the higher you rev the engine the more problems are going to show up in a piston.

I currently build about 85% of our engines with JE's, custom part numbers WE have developed with JE over many years and maybe a hundred changes. We use Wiseco for some builds and the rest of the majority is Manley.

You are asking for an offset pin, OK, big deal honestly. ANYONE of those manufacturers can build an offset pin for you.

I guess my point is, any piston company can make a piston. What you and anyone else building an really high end engine is going to need though is a custom part number with some development behind it, not just some shelf piston that is offered.

In the last year alone I bet we've changed piston designs 15 times. Our shelf pistons right now I think are the best, strongest piston you can buy for an EVO, this referring to our JE's or Manley's. Manley just made some major changes AGAIN for us and are running a batch of 40 of the new parts for us now.

I was blind in the past as obviously most people are to how many things can be done to a piston to make it stronger, lighter and better at getting the combustion process done.

There's more to it than "Who makes a piston in XXX alloy that will make 700 hp with an offset pin." The answer to that is, "50 peoples opinions referring to what they use."

So we are clear, I don't care if I sell a set of pistons, just chiming in on the subject because of the answers given.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

what about arias?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
You are kidding right?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
This could quite possibly be one of the worst threads I have ever seen for answers, sorry if it offends any of you that answered.

I have been building 4g63's for nearly 20 years. Not sure when I built the first one but very-very early 1990's. I've used Venolia, Ross, Wiseco, JE, Manley, CP and I am sure a few others I can't remember. None of them were "bad". I have never seen a pistons just fall apart into powder, so it's not like any of them are "bad".

Most of what has been recommended will hold up to 700 hp no problem. Is that what you want? You want one that is good for 700 hp, what about RPM? I can tell you the higher you rev the engine the more problems are going to show up in a piston.

I currently build about 85% of our engines with JE's, custom part numbers WE have developed with JE over many years and maybe a hundred changes. We use Wiseco for some builds and the rest of the majority is Manley.

You are asking for an offset pin, OK, big deal honestly. ANYONE of those manufacturers can build an offset pin for you.

I guess my point is, any piston company can make a piston. What you and anyone else building an really high end engine is going to need though is a custom part number with some development behind it, not just some shelf piston that is offered.

In the last year alone I bet we've changed piston designs 15 times. Our shelf pistons right now I think are the best, strongest piston you can buy for an EVO, this referring to our JE's or Manley's. Manley just made some major changes AGAIN for us and are running a batch of 40 of the new parts for us now.

I was blind in the past as obviously most people are to how many things can be done to a piston to make it stronger, lighter and better at getting the combustion process done.

There's more to it than "Who makes a piston in XXX alloy that will make 700 hp with an offset pin." The answer to that is, "50 peoples opinions referring to what they use."

So we are clear, I don't care if I sell a set of pistons, just chiming in on the subject because of the answers given.
couldnt agree more than what mr. buschur said. cant really go wrong with any big name pistons. currently awating my 2.0 stg 3 6 bolt
Old Sep 17, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

David is 100% correct. Any piston manufacturer that is still around today can make a piston that will start, run an drive (aka work). The difference between the brands is in the details. Some manufacturers just "make" a piston and put it in their catalog and that's it. These pistons will work, but aren't the best design. Other brands, such as JE with David Buschur, have worked back and forth together to make constant improvements. This is why David has a very solid design that you can be certain you'll be happy with.

You would be amazed at the differences in engineering and manufacturing between piston brands. There is a reason why NO PROFESSIONAL racing program uses Arias, Ross and Venolia pistons. By professional, I mean a team that invests a $1 million PER RACE or more. These teams CANNOT afford stupid failures such as one caused by a poorly designed piston.

Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK8G4crsOnA
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:03 PM
Former Sponsor

David hit the nail on the head on this one. More factors to consider are compression the size of your motor, and what kind of fuel it is going to be running.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, a 2618 alloy piston will be necessary for that application.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 06:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SeanC
I love how they didn't go into more detail about the forgings. Most of the forgings JE gets come from Wiseco. Heck Wiseco manufactures most of the forgings for the majority of the piston manufacturers. And both JE & Wiseco are both owned by Dover Corp(whom also owns Rotary Lifts).
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

My choice for pistons is between JE Buschur spec and CP pistons.
Cosworth is out because of the 86mm that make me worry about the 1mm wicker cylinder wall.
The top RPM for my motor will be 10000.
Boost pressure from a GT35 to GT42 will be from 35 psi (100 oct gas) to 50 psi (race gas) for drag races.

I google the CP pistons and I found out that the have many add on for their pistons like...
-Wrist Pins
-Crown Coating
-Skirt Coating
-Lateral Gas Ports
-Vertical Gas Ports
-CP Groove
-Oil Support Rails
-Plunge Valve Reliefs
-CNC Underhead Milling (MIL)
-Window Mill Box
-Window Mill Skirts

All the above add ons can double or triple the price ofcourse....
Do I need them all?
What is the difference?

Quick Reply: The best forged piston money can buy!!!