Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Timing Belt Slipped

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2009, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Evokid8
tensioner...
I'd agree.....
and also agree on the pistons and valves.... very slim valves don't damage pistons when they contact, but you'll have to also see what else could be damaged.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 07:40 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your valves are bent and the motor is out of time. When the piston comes up, it is hitting the valves because the timing of the cams and crank is off.

Depending on how hard the contact was, it can either mean a valvejob and replacing bent valves and possibly pistons as well.

We have an entire longblock available for sale we just listed for sale in the forums which may be your cheapest solution by the time you get done fixing everything.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most likely its just valves that are jacked. your pistons should be fine. no guaranteeing it.
so go ahead and call your closest head/machine shop to price the valve installation.
going to need.

new valves
timing belt
tensioner
head gasket
and hopefully not pistons as well
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Any help would be appreciated

Hi COuld someone please help me im in a pickle right now.

I was driving down the road yesterday going 60 and all the sudden I heard a pop and my car stoped acclerating and so i coasted it to the side of the road. I tried to turn it on but it would just crank. The car can switch from park to neutral to drive etc. However, I took it to aamco yesterday and they got it to start and they said it might be an electrical problem but they still have to do more diagnostics. Has this happened to anyone and does anyone know what it could be?I thought it might be the tranny but I have no clue. Im just hoping it aint the tranny.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by andymilonkis453
Hi COuld someone please help me im in a pickle right now.

I was driving down the road yesterday going 60 and all the sudden I heard a pop and my car stoped acclerating and so i coasted it to the side of the road. I tried to turn it on but it would just crank. The car can switch from park to neutral to drive etc. However, I took it to aamco yesterday and they got it to start and they said it might be an electrical problem but they still have to do more diagnostics. Has this happened to anyone and does anyone know what it could be?I thought it might be the tranny but I have no clue. Im just hoping it aint the tranny.
You blew a hose off.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Take spark plugs out and look in the holes with a flashlight.....you might be able to see pieces of a valve if they broke.....if they are bent, you gotta take the head off to look.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If I were you I would just pull the head off. Will take a few hours but worth it. If its just bent valves its not an awful thing to rebuild. I have rebuilt a few and its not rocket science. I did it on my kitchen table.. LOL. You just need a good machine shop to clean and redeck the head. Like everyone said once you pull the head you can see if the pistons are scored or damaged. If they are then thats a different story. Better crack open the wallet..

Good luck snap some pics and post them up I am sure everyone on here can tell you what needs to be done.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
You blew a hose off.

+1, exactly what happened
Old Aug 30, 2009, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You said the tensioner caused the belt to slip, did you swap it out with the belt or reuse the old one?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 06:16 AM

ye you just a few bent valves.a compression test will give you a rough idea how many ar bent,u will defo have to tae the head off anyway
Old Aug 30, 2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by 05blue8
You said the tensioner caused the belt to slip, did you swap it out with the belt or reuse the old one?
Thats a bad move if u did....i just did my 60K tune up and i replaced everything. After your rebuild i would put a HKS or Gates timing belt on there. Wont happen agian.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
man i feel for ya. same thing happened to me.. tensioner went.
still rebuilding my motor. my head was completely trashed, not salvageable. bought a brand new stage 2 from slowboy racing. i had to bore the bloch .2 over due to all the scratches on the cylinder walls for valve peices.
its been expensive, if your short on cash i recomend just finding someone selling a complete motor.

good luck with the rebuild
Old Aug 30, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davy
ye you just a few bent valves.a compression test will give you a rough idea how many ar bent,u will defo have to tae the head off anyway
No, a compression would cause even more damage. If you suspect the valves are bent, you should not crank the engine anymore.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
After all this talk about how to fix the engine I think I would be getting the timing cover off for a look at the belts. If both belts look good and the tension feels about right I'd suggest turning the crank by hand enough to check if the crank and cam marks line up or not.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
****ty deals, you'll see the damage once the head is off