Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo rebuild

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo rebuild

Hi guys ive been having some boost issues lately. Still have a stick 16G and i only reach 10-11 psi at full boost and at 5600 rpms. So yesterday i did a boost leak test, found a couple tiny leaks and fixed them. Went for a drive and the samething was happening. I took a peak inside my turbo and in the pictures attched is what i found. It looks like the turbo ate a bolt or rock or something. Or someone stuck a flat head screw driver in it..... Dont know how far the damage is but im seriously suprised im still producing boost. Im thinking of doing a rebuild on it cuz i cant afford a new turbo much less a 35r or something. Are there any balancing of the compressor wheels or anything like that? Or can i get a new wheel and rebuild kit and put it together? Man this sucks...
Attached Thumbnails Turbo rebuild-picture-009.jpg   Turbo rebuild-picture-008.jpg   Turbo rebuild-picture-007.jpg  
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by preludepearl417
hi guys ive been having some boost issues lately. Still have a stick 16g and i only reach 10-11 psi at full boost and at 5600 rpms. So yesterday i did a boost leak test, found a couple tiny leaks and fixed them. Went for a drive and the samething was happening. I took a peak inside my turbo and in the pictures attched is what i found. It looks like the turbo ate a bolt or rock or something. Or someone stuck a flat head screw driver in it..... Dont know how far the damage is but im seriously suprised im still producing boost. Im thinking of doing a rebuild on it cuz i cant afford a new turbo much less a 35r or something. Are there any balancing of the compressor wheels or anything like that? Or can i get a new wheel and rebuild kit and put it together? Man this sucks...
holy crap... How did you not hear that!!!
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

I know you can buy the parts to rebuild it, but Im pretty sure you have to have it balanced.... not sure... you could always give FP a call and ask... I know they sell all the parts to rebuild it your self....
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by EVOIXreno
holy crap... How did you not hear that!!!
There was any weird noises....wish there would have been.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i can sell you a stock evo8 turbo for dirt cheap if youd like, you need one and i need to get rid of one.. shoot em a pm if your interested.

steve
Old Aug 30, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You are only a couple hours down the road from FP. They literally have piles of used 16G comp wheels in their shop. Send them your CHRA and have them replace that damaged wheel with a good used comp wheel and and do a balance job.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by sparky
You are only a couple hours down the road from FP. They literally have piles of used 16G comp wheels in their shop. Send them your CHRA and have them replace that damaged wheel with a good used comp wheel and and do a balance job.
Nah not anymore, i live in CO. I will give them a call on monday tho to see what i can do.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky!
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:03 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With all the time and expenses in rebuilding (even if you do it yourself) you are just better off finding one locally! A balance would be necessary.
"Performance without the Price Tag"
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:07 AM
Account Disabled

Secret Attack came along! ;X
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Damn.
If you can, do a compression check on the motor just to make sure pieces of compressor fins didn't wind up in there and did damage. Hopefully it all got caught in the intercooler (which probably should be replaced) and make sure all the piping is clean too.
Sorry man.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Something definitely hit that compressor wheel.If you find out what caused it let us know.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by turbolarry
Damn.
If you can, do a compression check on the motor just to make sure pieces of compressor fins didn't wind up in there and did damage. Hopefully it all got caught in the intercooler (which probably should be replaced) and make sure all the piping is clean too.
Sorry man.
Good idea on the compression check. Havent found anything but it looks like its been goin around for a while.