Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 Clutch or master/slave cylinder help.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2009, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 Clutch or master/slave cylinder help.

I am having some issues with my 2003 evo 8. I think it may be the master or slave cylinder going bad. It is also a possibility the clutch is going.

I had an issue with it today when I tried to crank the car up and put it into gear. I had the clutch pressed down to the floor and I couldn't get the car to go into gear. After fooling around for about 5 min I finally got the car into gear and parked it in the garage for inspection. My mechanic thought to first check the hydraulic fluids for the clutch/brakes.

As I pumped the clutch pedal I noticed it was stuck to the floor while trying to pump the air out of the line. I had to manually pull the pedal off the floor. I took the car for a spin after wards and it seems to drive fine but I am not convinced the problem is fixed.

Any ideas on what could possibly be going wrong on the car?

Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2009, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Clutch, sorry to say. We just went through this on a buddys car. We put a new slave on, bled, and bled again, and never got the pedal back.

Take the slave off. If you can move the shift fork at all your clutch is needing replacement or TOB came apart. Either way a new clutch is in your future.

The clutch fork arm should be all the way to the drivers side when engaged. If and when you pull the shiftfork to the drivers side manualy your pedal will ruturn home. It all leads to the inevitable. Good luck.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:37 AM

Can anyone recommend a decent clutch to put in that doesn't cost to much?

I was looking to sell the car before this happened so I can get a new 2010 Evo X. I haven't felt the clutch slipping at all but sometimes I get a grinding sound when shifting.

It has an ACT Stage 1 clutch in it now but I noticed a new one is $800 for just parts. Maybe I should just get an OEM one from Mitsubishi?

Also can anyone tell me where to get a new master and slave cylinder that will hold up well?

Thanks
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

OE or RPS, vivid has a good price on that bad boy.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

same problem for me.

soorry dude but it might be time for new clutch for you too.

my slave cylinder is leaking as well. just wondering whether aftermarket replacement is better that oe. i will be replacing the lines too. **** $$$$$
Old Apr 25, 2010, 07:19 AM

Bumping my old post since the problem is back. Let's keep in mind here that the car has a brand new clutch. It seems that air keeps getting in my clutch line. I had someone help me pump the air out of the line(all of it) and when I go to drive the car it's fine for 10min or so. Then the problem comes right back. I can drive the car by shifting at the correct rpms with the clutch pedal on the floor. I have to start the car by putting it in first and then cranking it up.

Any know what could cause my clutch pedal to stay at the floor?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

i am having the same issue on my 05. did bleeding the clutch line help?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:13 AM

It did help for a short period of time(10min). After that the pedal went back to the floor when pressed inward.
Old May 9, 2010, 08:07 PM

same here!! I have an 04, slave took a dump on me last night after a 3rd and 4th gear pull. Bleed it in the morning drove fine then some spirited driving and its back. After doing some searching its a pretty common problem. However i cant find an answer as to why they go bad. I don't wanna replace it with a stock one if it is gonna happen again. If the stock slave went 80k and a new mitsubishi slave goes 100 miles theres another problem....I am not a novice i've been working on cars for for 8yrs and actually been a tech for 5 so i know cars but is there an Evo related problem???? Maybe a sponsor could chime in?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iroc
same here!! I have an 04, slave took a dump on me last night after a 3rd and 4th gear pull. Bleed it in the morning drove fine then some spirited driving and its back. After doing some searching its a pretty common problem. However i cant find an answer as to why they go bad. I don't wanna replace it with a stock one if it is gonna happen again. If the stock slave went 80k and a new mitsubishi slave goes 100 miles theres another problem....I am not a novice i've been working on cars for for 8yrs and actually been a tech for 5 so i know cars but is there an Evo related problem???? Maybe a sponsor could chime in?
what do you mean stock goes 100 miles after you just said it last 80k!?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Same problem guy but havnt attempted to fix yet on 05. But I took a look and the boot on my slave cylinder is backed off and its leaking fluid. appears the seal is shot inside due to debris getting past said boot. if you havnt tried that take a look at the seal.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spac3clown
Can anyone recommend a decent clutch to put in that doesn't cost to much?

I was looking to sell the car before this happened so I can get a new 2010 Evo X. I haven't felt the clutch slipping at all but sometimes I get a grinding sound when shifting.

It has an ACT Stage 1 clutch in it now but I noticed a new one is $800 for just parts. Maybe I should just get an OEM one from Mitsubishi?

Also can anyone tell me where to get a new master and slave cylinder that will hold up well?

Thanks
Comp clutch from English Racing . Just put a stage 4 6 puck sprung in mine and the clutch was only $490. Just use same flywheel and have it turned. I switched from an ACT HDSS stage 2 and instantly fell in love with it. I believe my slave cylinder is going out as well because my pedal doesn't come back up all the way after shifting. Air somehow keeps on getting into my lines so I'm pretty certain thats whats going on.

Last edited by 03BoostedVIII; Mar 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You can get stock type replacement slave cylinders from RockAuto for $20.

Even comes with the little rubber valve to slow down engagement. ( But I'd take that out )
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Did you replace the TOB and the snap rings? I had this problem when my snap rings were bad.