Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

busted oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
busted oil cooler

i had an inccident the other day where i was doin a little off-roading and i dont know if i ran over something or bottomed out, but i managed to crack the oil cooler. As soon as i saw the oil light come on i shut the motor off. I needed to get the car home so i took the cooler ofand the only thing i knew to do was loop the cooler line back to the oil filter house and just eliminated the cooler. i filled it back up with oil, started it with no leaks and everything was fine. I know it sounds bad but i only put 3 qts back in it so it wasnt empty. I drove it very carefully towards home. it was fine til i got half way home. the car started laging very badly and i had to stay in the gas more to get it down the road. i pushed in the clutch to slow down and it cut off. and then the oil light came on. i double checked everything again, full of oil and no leaks. i sat the for a second and then wnet back down the road, the car had no power at all. as i was getting off the interstate on my exit i started to hear a rattling noise from the motor. i checked everything i coud, i had my ear literaly up against the oil pan and couldnt hear anything. the noise sounded like it was up top. compresion was good al the way across. it had 180 on all four. the noise gets less and less everytimei start it. Is it possible that i didnt have any oil goin to the head for a shot time and ran the lifters dry? does anyone have any opinons or answers of possibilitys?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it now have more than 3 quarts of oil in it?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:36 PM

yes it is full of oil, when i looped the cooler line i made sure it was full before i started it.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:42 AM

no one has anything to comment? im worried if or how bad i damaged the motor. just kinda wana get a heads up on things before i got pulling it apart. and i need another oil cooler if anyone has one they want to sell.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you have an oil circulation problem. You may have oil...but if you blocked off the path to the cooler--you may have restricted flow to the rest of the engine ( I have no way of knowing short of a picture what you did)--being as you have oil and a rattle and are low on power and cracked the cooler--ever think you may have trashed the pump by bottoming out? Check your pan. I am thinking all this points to a truck for your next vehicle.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 06:30 PM

it didnt even scratch the bumper, it just messed the lip up some. all sensors still attached. i think i kicked something up off the tire because the way the cooler is broke, it seems like it came from behind the cooler and not hit head on. no scracthes on anything else. pan is find nuthing else is hurt. i dont have a picture but a better description of what i did. i removed the busted cooler, then i had the two hoses there, and they were still atached to the oil filter housing. i removed one of them completely and then took the end of the one hose left and just attached it to the other side of the housing. im trying to get another cooler to make sure that it is gettin the right amount of oil flow to everything else. when i looped the hose i made sure that it wasnt kinked or anything weird.