Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intercooler water spray Science ® by http://www.CarPhoto.net

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2003, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with MP5 on this one. Alcohol is more volatile because it has a lower Latency (896 J/g) then H2O (2260 J/g). This means that water can absorb more energy before evaporating. Assuming an equal VOLUME of water and alcohol are used Water will provide the most efficient cooling.

Although this very simple lab shows the opposite:
http://www.bcpl.net/~edandlin/Meteor...s/Evap_lab.htm

If you guys want to toss **** around do it somewhere else. If you want to prove yourself start posting up formulas that prove your side. If you're both chemist this shouldn't be too difficult. I just proved myself wrong which I don't mind admitting.

Last edited by mayhem; Oct 29, 2003 at 01:15 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alcohol is a vey bad idea to use because it corrodes aluminum. say good bye to your intercooler in a year or 2. all you chemists talking about Latency should have know that!
Old Oct 29, 2003, 01:10 PM

Just a thought, but in the winter time, is it a possibility that the IC could freeze over by using the water sprayer or even if it's on auto? I would think that the heat from the engine should keep it warm enough that it wouldn't freeze, but you never know. My thought would be to use some Prestone De-Icer Fluid in there. I would think it would do the same as the water, but yet, not have the tendency to freeze.

Another time it could posibly freeze is from getting wet, and then sitting outside somewhere over night. Just a thought....
Old Oct 29, 2003, 01:10 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Check that rubbing alcohol mixture! Not all rubbing alcohol is equal. Isopropyl is flammable, and not exactly as cheap as water. I'm sure as hades not spraying that shat on my IC. Want something that is dyno proven to make power? Get an N-terchiller kit or something of that ilk and spray nitrous on your IC. Its not corrosive and not flammable. Much safer and makes more power.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 06:26 PM

Guys, is freon water solluble?

Or can you put the freon into the IC bottle, with minor customizations?

Yes, I can get freon here ... pretty damn cheap also.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

freon is illegal to be dispensed into open air from what i know.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 07:23 PM

Yes it is, it's a bio-hazard. thats why you're not allowed to do anything with refridgerators or the cooling system in a car.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 08:32 PM

ok here you go, for best results:

1. remove your intercooler

2. mist that **** down with some water

3. shove it in the freezer for an hour or so so the water you sprayed on there freezes

4. QUICKLY install it back onto your evo, then go race

Old Oct 30, 2003, 03:51 AM
Evolving Member

so the majority agrees that a close to 50/50 mix works.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 05:25 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net
so the majority agrees that a close to 50/50 mix works.
This minority thinks that putting a flammable item in your IC sprayer reservoir.. albeit diluted with water and much less flammable than pure form.. is NOT SAFE.

Dyno it, because it isn't cooling it that much, and even N2O which is a lot colder doesn't make that much power. I bet you don't get 2whp more than regular water with an Isopropanol/water mixture.

Spray the alcohol inside the motor, not all over the intercooler.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

I'd just like to point out that the alcohol used in windshield washer fluid is typically Isopropyl Alcohol, not Methanol or Ethanol. Methanol & Ethanol are corrosive to aluminum, unlike Isopropyl Alcohol which is used as a major component in "dry gas" or gas line anti-freeze.

Also, I don't think we're looking at a substances specific ability to absorb heat before it evaporates. I believe that the maximum cooling effect occurs when the substance sprayed on the intercooler evaporates rapidly. In general, the more rapid the evaporation, the greater the cooling effect.

Having said that, really the only effect way to gauge the effectiveness of a spray solution is to measure intake air temperatures before and after the after the intercooler while spraying each solution under identical ambient conditions. As you all probably know, the ambient temperature and humidity will greatly affect a substances ability to evaporate.

Water will evaporate more slowly than pure alcohol, which will result in a higher duty cycle for the spray system (edit: when using water). As long as the system isn't running @ 100% duty cycle to maintain a lowered IAT, then great. Also, alcohol may provide a lower cooling latency. Regardless, if your running at 100% duty cycle and you still can't keep IATs down, then maybe a Iso/water blend might help. I doubt it would help much though.

If you've got constant heat soak that a spray won't take care of maybe you should upgrade your intercooler or look at an alcohol injection system.

Just my $0.02...

(edit: an interesting article on intercooler spraying, including testing effectiveness )

Last edited by propellerhead; Oct 30, 2003 at 08:52 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 09:03 AM
EvoM Administrator

I agree that Isopropyl is nowhere near as flammable as Methanol or Ethanol, but its still definitely flammable. Only some windshield washer fluids use it, and its an added because it raises the freezing point. Also, they're not spraying under the car and up. Sure its not super likely that a fire could catch with it in the IC sprayer, but it is certainly a valid concern.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Hey, no doubt Isopropyl is flammable. I'm not arguing that point.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 02:06 PM

dont mean to butt in here but when people are spraying
water alcohol its usually denatured alcohol which is not
flamable, I know quite a few big block V-8's who use this.
you can drop a match in it and it wont light up.
hope that helps alittle
Old Oct 30, 2003, 02:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Noize
[B]

...and even N2O which is a lot colder doesn't make that much power......

- Not to get agressive, but the N2O N-tercooler kit does make alot of power because it is much colder. IF you are familiar with Mach V Motorsports (a sponsor vendor of this webpage) you can look at their dyno charts where they put the n-tercooler on and picked up close 50 horsepower and 60 pounds of foot tourque. Im not sure about you guys, but 50HP and 60lbs/ft tourque is something i would come close to KILLING FOR. Please feel free to click on the link below that will take you to the pictures of the dyno graph. http://www.machevo.com/nestmoinpiin.html
thanks.

Quick Reply: Intercooler water spray Science ® by http://www.CarPhoto.net