Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intercooler water spray Science ® by http://www.CarPhoto.net

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intercooler water spray Science ® by http://www.CarPhoto.net

Anyone have any good secrets for using the push button water spray. I use ice in races.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

I moved this over to the tech forum.

I have added ice to the bottle once or twice also. I noticed no difference between icy water and just ambient temp water though.

SC~
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

no secrets, bt I just hold mine for like 1-2 seconds, forjust a small spray/mist. I noticed that when you spray alot it just runs off anyway, save it for later. I have put it on auto and did some aggresive driving. When I came back to fill it it was down about 1/4.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Does anyone spray C02 and water at the same time?
Old Oct 23, 2003, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

I found the ULTIMATE formula

use 60% alcohol and 40% distilled water. The more volatile the susbtance the faster it cools. Ever feel rubbing alcohol on your finger compared to water?
try it its g-tech proven so far. lets see if we can dyno some inter cooler techniques.

CarPhoto.net
Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

hmm.. worth a shot i guess... but i'm thinkin very very very MINIMAL gains...
Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

But how bout our washer fluid! Am I the only guy that uses it?
Old Oct 23, 2003, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
um g-tech has yet to prove itself to me, I owned one about 6 or more years ago and it worked fine for the first month... after that i'd do better with a stopwatch in hand.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 09:17 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net
I found the ULTIMATE formula

use 60% alcohol and 40% distilled water. The more volatile the susbtance the faster it cools. Ever feel rubbing alcohol on your finger compared to water?
try it its g-tech proven so far. lets see if we can dyno some inter cooler techniques.

CarPhoto.net
Yup we all have done that except your noodle failed to look at the system as a whole- the alcohol has a much lower latent heat than water- Meaning it cant take nearly as much heat per volume with it before it evaporates- Hence why it evaporated so quickly at room temperature BY JUST YOUR BODY HEAT!- now you see the water (especially in mist form sheening in a thin layer liker the IC sprayer is designed to do. Plain and simple your GTECH findings are due to factors other than your ultimate wrong IC mixture.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:21 PM

Thats why mitsu uses windshield washer fluid for the ic sprayer, its about a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water (with detergents) the alcohol will cool more than straight water..
Old Oct 24, 2003, 06:40 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by jack's evo
Thats why mitsu uses windshield washer fluid for the ic sprayer, its about a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water (with detergents) the alcohol will cool more than straight water..
Nope sorry mitsu uses WF cause its lazy and doesnt want to change fluids out in fridgid reagions . Its like a inert packing material it works fine across the board and is redily available at jiffy lube for top off
Old Oct 24, 2003, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

ice is just fine.
cooler is better no matter what.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Alcohol works bro. Obviously you never had chemistry. The more volatile the substance the better it cools. When mixed with water it does not evaporate as ez.

I dont want any negative comments about how using the spray doesn't work. It has already been proven that lowering intercooler temps increase hp. I am looking for new ways to lower my i/c temps. I am sick of forum *****es who do not stay on subject. Only people who are interested in there intercooler please post.

Last edited by CarPhoto.net; Oct 29, 2003 at 11:24 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:37 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net
Alcohol works bro. Obviously you never had chemistry. The more volatile the substance the better it cools. When mixed with water it does not evaporate as ez.

I dont want any negative comments about how using the spray doesn't work. It has already been proven that lowering intercooler temps increase hp. I am looking for new ways to lower my i/c temps. I am sick of forum *****es who do not stay on subject. Only people who are interested in there intercooler please post.
I majored in chemistry smart guy. Hows them apples? This is all small fries HP gains- nickle and diming it is for the people who upraded to the EVO from their civic
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

To you it is small fry hp. The intercooler is what causes the dif in stock evos. You agree there is a gain in hp. So shut up and help us out.

This forum is full of haters and Evo drivers with big egos. Can we get someone who accually races to speak on the subject.

P.S. This is my first import. My last car was a monster mustang. I am not some ricer, I come from a muscle car backgroung. Like a true racer, I believe everything makes a differece.

Last edited by CarPhoto.net; Oct 29, 2003 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Intercooler water spray Science ® by http://www.CarPhoto.net