Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Balance Shaft Delete question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balance Shaft Delete question

So I got my car tuned by a local shop here in colorado and while it was on the dyno, the car started throwing my oil light on more and more. It got to the point that in between runs it had a steady flicker of the oil light.

The tuner told me that more often than not it is the bearings on my balance shaft that are going out that are causing this to happen. What he suggested to me was to do a balance shaft delete kit for the car. I know I can scrounge some power from doing this.

Question, is that a valid remedy to the problem?

And who would you recommend going with for the kit?

Thanks!!

Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

buschur kit is cheap. but they are a b!tch to install any of them. make sure you leave the pully for the balance belt on the oil pump or at least put a bolt with some rtv on it. there is oil behind there so if you dont you will have a massive oil leak.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

AMS has a kit, STM has a kit, just about anyone makes them. It's just a little stubby shaft.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your tuner is wrong. How do figure the oil pressure dummy light coming on definetly means you are losing balance shaft bearings? They don't slowly go out, either you have spun one, or you havent. If you have, it will usualy sound like rod knock.

Either your dummy light sender is going bad, or you have low oil pressure. Possibly from a bad oil pump, among other possible things. Removing balance shafts are a band aid solution to a bullet wound if you have that considerably low oil pressure. Get a real oil pressure guage as well.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by TalonTuner4G63
Your tuner is wrong. How do figure the oil pressure dummy light coming on definetly means you are losing balance shaft bearings? They don't slowly go out, either you have spun one, or you havent. If you have, it will usualy sound like rod knock.

Either your dummy light sender is going bad, or you have low oil pressure. Possibly from a bad oil pump, among other possible things. Removing balance shafts are a band aid solution to a bullet wound if you have that considerably low oil pressure. Get a real oil pressure guage as well.
I am installing the gauge on friday. Is there anyway to troubleshoot the oil pump as the definite fault or is it just trial and error? How would I go about narrowing down the problem? Like I said, normal driving it is fine, it is only when I really get on it that the light comes on. I am thinking that because the oil is getting hotter the more I get on it, the thinner it becomes thus the pressure drop. I was told to go with a thinker oil to possibly remedy the problem.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IXEvolutionIX
I am installing the gauge on friday. Is there anyway to troubleshoot the oil pump as the definite fault or is it just trial and error? How would I go about narrowing down the problem? Like I said, normal driving it is fine, it is only when I really get on it that the light comes on. I am thinking that because the oil is getting hotter the more I get on it, the thinner it becomes thus the pressure drop. I was told to go with a thinker oil to possibly remedy the problem.
What oil are you running now? I would reccomend Valvoline 20W50 or Rotella T 15W40.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 01:59 PM

Either your dummy light sender is going bad, or you have low oil pressure. Possibly from a bad oil pump, among other possible things. Removing balance shafts are a band aid solution to a bullet wound if you have that considerably low oil pressure. Get a real oil pressure guage as well

you are wrong sir the oil light will come on if the bearing are whiped out it was happening to my car and after changing the sending unit 4 times we opened up the motor and it was the bearings if the bearings are in bad shape it will cause the oil pressure to drop
Old Sep 2, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR.CT9A
you are wrong sir the oil light will come on if the bearing are whiped out it was happening to my car and after changing the sending unit 4 times we opened up the motor and it was the bearings if the bearings are in bad shape it will cause the oil pressure to drop
If a balance shaft bearing has spun, you WILL lose oil pressure. However, 9 times out of 10, if you spin a balance shaft bearing, you will know it. It usualy sounds like rod knock.

As far as balance shaft bearings failing, I know that lots of revs and abuse can agrivate the problem, but I wonder why so many Evolution guys are wiping these things out so fast...
Old Sep 2, 2009, 03:14 PM

well mine wornt the balance bearings my problem was the rod bearings they didnt spin they were just abused about ready to spin the motor had 140k on it so it was time but it spent most of its life at hight rpm so that didnt help lol
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TalonTuner4G63

+1. best advice so far. start cheap when t-shooting (meaning the sender) Can you borrow one from another evo owner you know that way you dont spend any money?

Worn bearings do cause low oil pressure but it happens over time, gradually. This is due to the increased clearance as the bearings wear.

The AMS balance shafts are expensive. You could have a machinist turn down your shaft for the oil pump and remove the other one altogether. Coming from someone who has this setup, it make a difference in revs. Daily driving is a little harder as it is easier to stall. I also have a light flywheel and twin disk. Doing an r&r while the engine is in the vehicle will be tough, not impossible, just tough. Chances are, this is not your problem.

I would check the sender, then the pump. Bearings going out will show up in your oil like glitter. Thats an easy check.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take a look at yout timing belt, When my oil pump went it leaked into the timing cover and you could see it around the edges of the belt. Either way I wouldn't be driving till the problem is fixed. Trust me you will be happier fixing it now, rather eating all the bearings inside the engine and sending metal everywhere