Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Loud Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious if anyone knows the answer to this but let's say I have a perfectly good working TC and I want to have the Stage II done. Is the price cheaper if the TC is in perfect working condition, as opposed to one that is whinning?

I'm planning to have this done when I am ready, so I am wondering if it's better to buy a working one or one that is already bad and is in need of a rebuild.

Just curious if anyone knows. I'm not ready to have this done yet so I don't want to waste Shep's time.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

T case

Originally Posted by AEvans190
There is a loud hauling/whining noise that sounds like a fire truck siren. The noise starts when I hit about 20 mph and continues to get louder and higher in pitch the faster I go. It does not matter if the car is in gear or not; or if I hit my brakes. As I come to a stop the noise gets lower in pitch and I start to hear almost like a soft grinding noise. The sound level of the noise dies off a little at about 70 mph but then comes back very loud as I increase my speed. I have a 2004 evo 8 with about 70,000 miles on it. I talked to some techs and they think it my front transfer case is out. But I want to see if anyone here knows what is wrong or it happen to them. Thanks everyone.
This thread was very helpful. I've got the same whining when accelerating in first gear or slowing down to a stop. I've got about 49k miles on it. It started whining immediately after the last track event after 5 launches.

Time to start saving up for a rebuilt one. Anyone have an estimate on how much longer it's safe to drive on it until it completely goes out? Just daily driving, no hard launches.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

Silver06evo9mr:

That is the route to go with if you need the car back on the road asap. You can save quite a bit more if you have a second vehicle etc.

AndyD:

What Evo do you have? If you already have the upgraded LSD (I already had it in my 05 MR) they will not install it, and will likely drop the stage 2 cost down quite a bit, I think the diff is about $600. I just had the stage 2 done on my popped transfer case, and since i had the upgraded LSD I only had the stage 2 upgrades done to the case and had the ring, pinion and bearings replaced.

Advanap1:

There are a few things that can cause a whining.. Since you've launched the car a lot, and are not likely oem, you have probably done damage to the ring and or pinion. Either of them not balanced will cause a whine at about 40-60 mph, this whine will continue to worsen. In my case it was due to the pinion shaving, eventually mine shaved so much that it locked up, but good thing I was only doing 5 mph at the time. If your on the highway or higher RPM when it locks there's a likelihood you might do more damage.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:36 PM

Damn bro sorry, but its your transfer case.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by t-revzr
So you could do the stage 2 and get that option off adding the ring and pinion, and then be set right?
For mine, it was 1200+350 = stg II

but keep in mind, this is with no spider gear, mits LSD (06 TC)..... so the prices may be different.... It will always depend on what is broken

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Sep 2, 2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyD
Just curious if anyone knows the answer to this but let's say I have a perfectly good working TC and I want to have the Stage II done. Is the price cheaper if the TC is in perfect working condition, as opposed to one that is whinning?

I'm planning to have this done when I am ready, so I am wondering if it's better to buy a working one or one that is already bad and is in need of a rebuild.

Just curious if anyone knows. I'm not ready to have this done yet so I don't want to waste Shep's time.
Yes the price is cheaper, usually as shep described to me, if it is a whinny baby, than most likely your ring and pinion are toasted = 1200....so if you don't have to replace it, than you are up 1200.

So a perfectly good TC, probably ~350 for the upgrade case bolts, shimming etc (if you have a Mits LSD)....
Email/call shep and they will explain everything to you....
Old Sep 3, 2009, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

transfer case, or wheel bearing if my guess, i would need to hear it....post a video.

and you can get it rebuilt, DogBox Racing rebuilds them cheap by me.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by gregrego
Mine's on it's way back from Shep now, came out to 1600 (stage 2 + ring and pinion r/r) after I grinded my pinion until it was a smooth cone. lol.

the whine wasn't as loud as you are describing yours to be, but over time it may have turned out to be that loud.

how the hell did you manage that! 995$ for the stage II (LSD) and another 1200$ for the ring and pinion option from them... that's 2195$ without shipping.. GIVE ME THAT DEAL DAMNIT~ mines whining now.. I cry inside when I drive it.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ghammer2
how the hell did you manage that! 995$ for the stage II (LSD) and another 1200$ for the ring and pinion option from them... that's 2195$ without shipping.. GIVE ME THAT DEAL DAMNIT~ mines whining now.. I cry inside when I drive it.
My car is an 05 MR, which already has the Mitsu LSD which is a large portion of the cost of a stage 2. The LSD was in great shape and did not require replacement.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoDom
transfer case, or wheel bearing if my guess, i would need to hear it....post a video.

and you can get it rebuilt, DogBox Racing rebuilds them cheap by me.
Test a wheel bearing by getting the car to whine and turning agressively to transfer load, if it goes away completely and comes back on when load returns to that side of the vehicle then you know its wheel bearing. I highly doubt its a wheel bearing.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 05:34 PM

Damm on this same boat now at 42k miles on the 06 evo 9. Took it to the track and did some runs worked fine drove home about 160 miles. Then there after started to here the whine noise in first gear as i went into a stop. Put it in neutral from first gear to stop and it goes away but if i put it in gear it comes back .

Calling shep on monday see what he estimates.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Dyablo, first check your fluid levels, and maybe change the tcase fluid, if you've done that or have done it recently, then I would suggest waiting until it gets worse cause in first gear on decel doesnt sound like tcase, try 45-50 mph on the highway and stay on the throttle thats usually where it starts to make noise. Decel in first may be transmission, try to decel in second? Are you an MR?

I now have a whopping 60 miles on the new stage 2 transfer case, still quiet haven't gotten over 60 kmph staying around that for a couple hundred miles until I can be assured the gear and pinion have seated properly. I will be dumping the tcase fluid next weekend and re filling just so I can inspect the oil, and get any break in fleck or grit out.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:23 AM

Yeah I called shep and they also said to change the fluids. The t-case has dia queen in it and was changed with the clutch at 33k miles. As for the evo its not an mr but an SE comes with the factory LSD.

The whine goes dosnt appear to come back at any point other than on decel in 1st gear. Like i said i drove it at 85mph for 160 miles and all was fine. Just the other day the 3ACD lights turned on, but went off after i restarted the car .

Going to change out the t-case fluid next week along with the rear end.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

be sure to bleed the acd properly too!
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by gregrego
be sure to bleed the acd properly too!
any link to this?

Quick Reply: Loud Whining Noise