Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Interested in a front LSD for US Evo 8?
Yes, I would be interested in a front LSD
86.36%
No, Who needs it
13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Interested in a front LSD for US Evo 8?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2003, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what would the benefits be to having a lsd on a evo with less than 300 awhp? Just curious.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 12:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by XRS-Lift
what would the benefits be to having a lsd on a evo with less than 300 awhp? Just curious.
Racing or slippery conditions
Old Oct 19, 2003, 06:00 PM

less understeer in general as well
Old Oct 20, 2003, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by XRS-Lift
Much less understeer. Very predictable handling regardless of the amount of horsepower. Having driven a front helical LSD equipped Evo. I found no downside at all. The front just has much more grip. If you focus on it you might be able to feel it working transferring torque, I never was. It was never spooky at or past the limit either.

Unlike the Suretrac diffs on the Sti they are seamless. The Sti seems to understeer until the suretrac locks then they grip, kill off most of the understeer, and your off. It is fun but you do have to change your driving style. The engagement is like a switch. I did not drive one over the limit but did not really want to with that diff.

I would prefer the Torsen/helical style diff for many reasons: Maintenance, drivablility and seamless action
Old Oct 21, 2003, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

I had a Quaife in my Eclipse GS-T. It was by far the best mod i had ever done to the car. It would put crazy traction down and literally yank the car out of corners. if they came out with a unit for our cars, it would be the only one i would consdier
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Why would anyone vote No to this... A front LSD is an aftermarket piece that i would buy in a heart beat, it will make a big difference any way you look at it...
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by erikgj

Much less understeer. Very predictable handling regardless of the amount of horsepower. Having driven a front helical LSD equipped Evo. I found no downside at all. The front just has much more grip. If you focus on it you might be able to feel it working transferring torque, I never was. It was never spooky at or past the limit either.

Unlike the Suretrac diffs on the Sti they are seamless. The Sti seems to understeer until the suretrac locks then they grip, kill off most of the understeer, and your off. It is fun but you do have to change your driving style. The engagement is like a switch. I did not drive one over the limit but did not really want to with that diff.

I would prefer the Torsen/helical style diff for many reasons: Maintenance, drivablility and seamless action
Great post erikgj