Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Recomended oil for evos

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2009, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
In order of importance

1. The proper weight of oil
2. Clean oil
3. I good oil filter
4. The brand of oil
well said
Old Sep 5, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

What is the difference between regular AMSoil and their "racing" formula? It says they are both 100% synthetic. What is the difference in the price per quart?
Old Sep 5, 2009, 06:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BoostIsMyDrug
What is the difference between regular AMSoil and their "racing" formula? It says they are both 100% synthetic. What is the difference in the price per quart?
check through the thread and ask apagan01...hes a vendor for AMSoil and he'll square you away....im bout to order some from him...prices are resonable!!
Old Sep 5, 2009, 07:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostIsMyDrug
let me try and sumarize this:

Racing oils are designed for the maximum lubrication in mind, so what we did in the design of the oil we threw into the recipe Zinc and Phosforus and some other anti wear aditives these additives prevent the internals from making metal to metal contact, the oil is designed for maximum HP and lubrication in mind. and yes AMSOIL's racing oils are fully synthetic. the Zinc and Phos PPM ( Particles Per Million content in this oil are in the 1400+
Racing oil's also are capable of holding up to any type of harsh fuel like NOS, Meth, Ethanol, Q16, C16 ect... these oils do not shear almost at all.

one of our sponsored evos here on evom is running 10W30 Racing oil, he had an oil analysis done by an outside copany, and we were astonished by how his engines was wearing all the metal wear was way bellow AVG, meaning that his engine was not even feeling the punishment it was taking from those 20-25 minute hot laps at 130MPH, he AUTOxes the car on NASA TT and Redline event and some local events, also the lab analysis showed how the oil wasnt even starting to breack down at all.

Now the ATM 10W30 for example is still a fully synthetic however the PPM of Zinc and Phos is around the 900's + it doesnt mean its not a good oil this oil is more oriented for the guy that uses his car as a DD and track usage on the weekends but on the other hand you can stil use Racing oil for the same conditions it all comes down on how much money you want to spend, racing oils have to be drainned sooner we do not reccomend to go over 3500 miles on it , to where ATM10W30 , SSO 0W30, XL 5W30 these oils can go fo over 25,000 miles on DD on our cars easily 10k, now i have not seen an evo owner take their oil past 5k, but the point of these oils is they give you that piece of mind, you know in the back of your mind you have an oil that is designed to last 25-35k and you are changing it lot sooner than that.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I use oil from the pores of Jesus.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A "Racing" oil may not necessarily be the best choice for a daily driven car.

Last edited by sparky; Sep 5, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:21 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
AMS Oil gets my vote hands down.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Amsoil gets my vote i put it in every car i build and own.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:29 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SWOLN
I use oil from the pores of Jesus.
NICE!!!...
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Amsoil was great when I used it but I'm not willing to drive 30-40 miles out for it and to spend right under $40 for it. I now run Castrol Edge 10w-30 since Advanced Auto is 3 miles away. Wal-Mart is 10 miles away if I go grab the 5 quart jugs. Cheaper and gets the job done just fine. It only cost me $30 for an oil change now including oil and filter.

It works great but recently I had to change the oil right under 2k miles (mainly to prep for auto-x). Oil was darker then the 2k I did with the Amsoil. Friend told me that Castrol Syntec regular would work better but I have yet to try it. Will get back to this in 2k miles.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:11 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
Amsoil was great when I used it but I'm not willing to drive 30-40 miles out for it and to spend right under $40 for it. I now run Castrol Edge 10w-30 since Advanced Auto is 3 miles away. Wal-Mart is 10 miles away if I go grab the 5 quart jugs. Cheaper and gets the job done just fine. It only cost me $30 for an oil change now including oil and filter.

It works great but recently I had to change the oil right under 2k miles (mainly to prep for auto-x). Oil was darker then the 2k I did with the Amsoil. Friend told me that Castrol Syntec regular would work better but I have yet to try it. Will get back to this in 2k miles.
They don't ship to your door?

https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/Sh...formation.aspx
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre

Run an oil analysis on the Castrol Edge and the AMSOIL at the same mileage and I think you will realize the AMSOIL is worth the extra money. Besides, if your order ahead they will ship to your door.

Just a note that the 25k-30k mileage for AMSOIL is when using the AMSOIL EA filter, but agree with Andy that most people here don't run longer than 5k or so.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

It hasn't really caught on over on these forums here yet, but it's getting pretty popular over on nasioc. But i've started to use Rotella-T.
My friend's with STi's have sent the oil in for analysis and have come back better than most other oils.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Rotella-T = diesel oil that can be used in gas autos. I have heard of people having good luck running diesel oils, but the additive base is a bit different.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ seems to be more for diesel applications (oops guy above me beat me to it).. Those nastysack guys, i tell ya

Quick Reply: Recomended oil for evos