Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Recomended oil for evos

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another bit of information is that the Rotella-T is a Base III oil. No matter how a company spins it this is still a Hydro-processed conventiol oil. AMSOIl is a group IV true synthetic oil.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

hmm, interesting. thanks for the info. anymore input for Rotella-T?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 05:40 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
A "Racing" oil may not necessarily be the best choice for a daily driven car.
And that could very well be truth, only if the car will be driven long distances and intentions are to keep the oil in there for long long periods, however i have not seen anyone in the evo community drain at over 4k most are crazy like me and drain at 2k or less.

otherwise i do not se a reason why anyone could not run it in their DD, if something it will only help them preserve their motor with those high content of antiwear additives that any racing oil caries.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 05:47 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fixem2
Another bit of information is that the Rotella-T is a Base III oil. No matter how a company spins it this is still a Hydro-processed conventiol oil. AMSOIl is a group IV true synthetic oil.
enough said
Old Sep 6, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

so mobil 1 5-30 isnt any good? im about to put my built 2L together.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
its not that its not good as it is good oil but there deff is much better options out there.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

well, i want to get some good stuff. thats is reasonable on price.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fixem2
Run an oil analysis on the Castrol Edge and the AMSOIL at the same mileage and I think you will realize the AMSOIL is worth the extra money. Besides, if your order ahead they will ship to your door.

Just a note that the 25k-30k mileage for AMSOIL is when using the AMSOIL EA filter, but agree with Andy that most people here don't run longer than 5k or so.
Oh no, they do ship to your door and such but I prefer picking up oil and doing it ASAP. Don't know, just me. I just wish there was a shop withing 20 miles that carry Amsoil but the closest shop is 40 miles away.

Has anyone ever did an oil analysis with Castrol Syntec vs Amsoil? My experience was just that the Castrol Edge one was darker while doing it at the same millage. But then again, I had the car sitting for 2 week because I was gone so I can barely count that.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
And that could very well be truth, only if the car will be driven long distances and intentions are to keep the oil in there for long long periods, however i have not seen anyone in the evo community drain at over 4k most are crazy like me and drain at 2k or less....otherwise i do not se a reason why anyone could not run it in their DD, if something it will only help them preserve their motor with those high content of antiwear additives that any racing oil caries.
Actually, I wasn't only thinking of drain interval frequency when I stated that a racing oil might not always be the best bet for a daily driven application. Drain frequency is an important part of the overall picture. However, I was thinking more specifically about the relatively extended engine idle periods, and other low temperature operating conditions to which a daily driven motor is subjected, and the resultant increases in unburned combustion contaminants, H2O, harmful acids, and sludge, which degrade and ultimately breakdown the crankcase oil.

By definition, racing engines, and therefore racing oils, are not designed to idle for extended periods of time. They are designed for high temperature operating conditions. The specific detergent/additive/oxidation-inhibitor package for a racing oil may be totally different than the comparative additive package for an oil designed primarily for stop-and-go daily driving.

But you are right. The racing oil might be just fine if the drain intervals are kept relatively short. However in my case, my driving style is pretty much, "Old-Fart", featuring mellow, grannie shifting, so I might opt for the non-racing "Premium Protection" AMSOIL 100% synthetic product myself and shoot for longer change intervals. In fact, if I lived in the U.S. that is the engine oil I would run.

Last edited by sparky; Sep 6, 2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mobil 1 10w-30
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I run Mobil1 myself, Huevos! However I run 0W-40. I have a ruptured lifter that taps at idle with 10W-30. In my country I can't buy AMSOIL. The only option for me other than Mobil1 is Motul.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
Well you could just look at the AMSOIL site and under dealer locater find a guy near you. It also helps if your near a dist. center as the dealer won't have to pay for the oil shipped to him. And even though the wix filter is a good filter for those apps that don't have an EA filter our cars do and why you wouldn't use the EA046 since its the best you can get....its flows better and filters better......
Old Sep 6, 2009, 04:46 PM

AMS Oil...
Old Sep 6, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Mobil 1 0w-40w FTW!
Old Sep 6, 2009, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Mobil 1 or castrol syntec has kept my cars going just fine unders lots of abuse for many miles. Don't see the need to spend $40 extra bucks for oil that may or may not do anything for me in the long run.

Quick Reply: Recomended oil for evos