Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Recomended oil for evos

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixem2
Another bit of information is that the Rotella-T is a Base III oil. No matter how a company spins it this is still a Hydro-processed conventiol oil. AMSOIl is a group IV true synthetic oil.
with more research done on oil forums... check out bobistheoilguy forums or blackstone lab forums.

"I'm less concerned with molecules and formulations, and more concerned about performance. And Shell's Group III XHVI base stocks perform like Group IV base stocks do, at far less cost.

But more important than base stock performance is performance of the finished oil. Oil additives play a huge role in performance. Best performance comes from oils with carefully balance formulations of high quality base stocks and additives...

I get so tired of hearing about how Gp. III isn't a "true" synthetic blah blah. Hell, I don't even use RTS but I'm smart enough to see that it's one of the best formulated HDEO's out there as evidenced by hundreds of observed UOA's.

"Synthetic" is a marketing term. It refers to group III, IV, and V base stocks. Nearly all oils today for mass consumption in the general market are blends of oil stocks. Each has advantages and disavantages. Some people don't realize that the purest of group IV and V cannot hold as many additives. True, viscosity wise they don't need them, but in... Read More regard to anti-corrosives, anti-agglomerates, etc, group III has some advantage because a higher percentage of additives can held in suspension. Further, there are always the sub-groups of each.

While I agree that inputs typically effect outputs, the true story lies in the RESULTS of a UOA. In that regard, there is often little or no difference between a well formulated group III and a PAO. You'll pay more for the PAO, but you may not get any "better" wear or longevity.

RTS is an excellent choice for the money. And there are thousands of UOAs to prove it.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Shell's Rotella T Syn 5w/40 TBN is 10.6

Amsoil's "Premium" 5w/40 TBN is 8.0

So, Amsoil's " Premium" diesel oil has the TBN of a gasoline engine oil (8.0)? Nice....

Its also $40 a gallon, more than 2x as much as Rotella Synthetic.

You make the call.....

I'm still using Shell Rotella T. Have fun boys.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by samurai85
Shell's Rotella T Syn 5w/40 TBN is 10.6

Amsoil's "Premium" 5w/40 TBN is 8.0

So, Amsoil's " Premium" diesel oil has the TBN of a gasoline engine oil (8.0)? Nice....

Its also $40 a gallon, more than 2x as much as Rotella Synthetic.

You make the call.....

I'm still using Shell Rotella T. Have fun boys.
Try looking at the Diesel oil and not the European car Formula.

AMSOIL TBN on the 5W-40 Diesel oil is 10.4

Do you know what TBN is ?

Besides that, the recommended viscosity for an EVO is a 30 weight, not a 40 weight.

AMSOIL SSO 0W-30 would be the choice oil for an EVO and even the Analysis companies have changed their recommendations based on the performance of the SSO.

LG