Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Modifying stock air box

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modifying stock air box

I have read a few threads on people modifying their stock air boxes, as well as people building closed air boxes around an aftermarket intake and filter. I am thinking about doing something like the following.

I was thinking about doing doing something like the following:

Retain the stock turbo intake tube, bottom half of the stock air box, and the intake that brings air in from outside the car into the stock air box.

Remove the top half of the stock air box and build a mesh screen to cover it (I think apexi makes something like this).

Build a metal surround

Use stock air intake to the box.

Use stock air box.

Remove the top of the air box and build some sort of mesh cover (I think apexi has something like what I am referring to) to protect the stock filter (would upgrade filter obviously).

Build a stainless steel box around the stock air box to keep intake temps down. Something like this https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ox-binary.html.

It seems like this would be a good solution for people with stock intakes. It seems like it worked for the guy in the thread above, so it should work with a stock intake system as well and actually be pretty beneficial.

What do you think? I also live in the northwest where it rains 75% of the time. I don't know if rain will impact this idea significantly. I am just worried that removing the top of the stock air box will allow too much water in, but maybe I am off here.

This is what I am thinking about putting around the stock air box. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...x-install.html After thinking about it some more would it be a better idea to just get a cone filter, attach it to my stock intake tube, and build a box similar to the one on the referenced thread?

Last edited by McDougal; Sep 6, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just get a drop in filter. Using the high pressure sealed stock box is much better than a ghetto rigged airbox / hot air intake. Dyno numbers show some gains from a conical but they can't show the gains from the high pressure cold air ram at 100mph.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Just get a drop in filter. Using the high pressure sealed stock box is much better than a ghetto rigged airbox / hot air intake. Dyno numbers show some gains from a conical but they can't show the gains from the high pressure cold air ram at 100mph.
That is why I am thinking that doing a combination of the two would be a good thing.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just use a 3/4" hole saw and go to work on the top half of your factory airbox.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why even mess with a conical filter if you plan to keep the box? You might as well just use a drop in filter.

If you insist on going with a conical.... I have a brand new Blox bolt on to MAF filter for sale. I got it as a gift and never used it. I'm running the drop in and have no intentions of using a conical.