Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS EVC-S Boost Controller - anybody?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HKS EVC-S Boost Controller - anybody?

I'm looking at ordering the HKS EVC-S Electronic Boost Controller. I was wondering if anyone has used one or heard any pros/cons? I know that the EVC-S can only control up to 36psi but that's not a problem for me right now. Please don't recommend ECU controlled boost because that's not an option that I want to work with right now.

http://www.maperformance.com/hks-evc...003-ak009.html
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

ttt
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering the same thing. Is it basically the same as the EVC-VI?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Sep 7, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i knew a friend with this and after reading the instruction manuel we had the damnedest time trying to get it not to spike. even a pro in the area couldnt make head or tails of it. just go with a halman and make life much easier for your self
Old Sep 7, 2009, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Well it was a toss up between the Greddy Profec B or the HKS EVC-S. So there was no way to controll the spike with the HKS EVC-S?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend had an HKS EVC and he loved it. Actually I think he might be selling it. He bought a X
Old Sep 7, 2009, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ive had a profec b myself, i had three of there solinoids die for no reason all professionally installed. ive had the perrin 3 port soloniod, nothing but overboosting, the turbo smart EBC and it had three boost setting set in it and if you didnt set yoru full boost map when you started the car then you just wasted gas when you punched it and didnt go anywhere fast. once i got my halman ive loved it. you just hop in and go it stays set
Old Sep 22, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

My EVi VI holds boost perfect but I haven't figured out how to set the actual boost to read what I'm getting...its my offset thats jacked but it doesn't spike and if I don't pay attention to what its set for I get the desired boost according to my boost gauge so I'm happy with it so far. Its a minor annoyance.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 04:28 PM

I have an HKS EVC- 5 for sale. Let me know if you're still interested.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

So fricken true i was just thinking the same thing of just getting a hallman and ending all the evc-6 crap ive been dealing with. One day it will hold boost and then another it wants to spike and then cut boost at different rpms. that crap is pissing me off now and i even bought the easywriter kit to try to make things easier. the said thing is, when you turn it off so that the car runs of the wastegate, it holds better then trying to let the evc control boost. but when it work its one on the best on the market but its taking too much of my time now.

Originally Posted by raiceboi697
i knew a friend with this and after reading the instruction manuel we had the damnedest time trying to get it not to spike. even a pro in the area couldnt make head or tails of it. just go with a halman and make life much easier for your self
Old Feb 12, 2010, 04:32 PM

^ i just installed my evc-s recently and i just get then the damn thing to hold to 19psi. it will hit 19 psi then i hear the wastegate open and it drops to about 10 or lower. the settings only show you offset value in %, response value in %,overboost in psi or kpa, warning psi and drop value if your psi go too high. no matter what settings i set it to it will just drop to 10psi
Old Feb 13, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

I have a hks evc 5 for sale... it was on my car when i bought it.. i didnt like it but my loss is your gain if anyone wants it? PM me
Old May 14, 2010, 05:46 AM

Sorry for reactivating this topic. I have the EVC-S professionally installed in my Evo X. I am not a tuner, neither have experience with turbo systems. Before it I could just get 24 psi tappering to 16psi. With it, I ve got 25.9 tappering to 19psi. How may I detect such spikes? I have done dozens of pass with different offsets at the evc-s, but I could not see any "above average" boost values in the graphics done with EvoScan. Should I look for any other value in EvoScan?

Do you think it is dangerous to track the car with such EVC-S? Do you suggest another boost controller (manual, electronic)?

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Ziki
Old May 14, 2010, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since you have little experience with turbocharged cars and are not familiar with the complexities of setting up the EVC and you want to safely track the car...I would say that it would be easier to go with a manual boost controller, at least until you get the hang of things. Later on you could always switch back to the EVC.

Quick Reply: HKS EVC-S Boost Controller - anybody?