Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Big Turbo, Right Mods, Mellon Tuned, LOW POWER?? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Turbo, Right Mods, Mellon Tuned, LOW POWER?? HELP!!!

OK, so a few months ago I bought from a member what I was told was a precision 6265 turbo kit (see my Avatar) Its a great looking turbo and kit. The Kit has a custom made Exh mani,dp,3" ic piping and a 4"intercooler. and a set of HKS 264 cams and some AEM cam gears. After talking with Mellon I installed some used Denso 1000cc injectors and I got a greddy-profec b boost controller. I also picked up a used works hfc from a member. All in all most of my parts are used.

So I drove up to Memphis to see Mellon to get my car tuned and from day one I was having problems. To make a long story short the custom Ic pipes have crappy welds and when we did a boost leak test 2 welds had pinhole leaks. After getting the welds fixed. we started on the tune. From the get go we had problems with high knock when the turbo really kicked in around 5k rpm and the car has a weird eratic idle that is weird for such low agression cams. What should have been a 4 hour tune for Mellon turned into a 2 day tuning session Where Mellon and I tried to figure out why its getting high knock and why the turbo isnt putting out the right kind of power. His dll dyno was putting me somewhere around 350 hp.

We took the car back to his house to try and figure out the problem... We looked at the timing marks which seemd to line up with the crank and the cams. We also did a compression test and got weird numbers from left to right they were 186,188,145,190. I'm not sure what could cause this. we found one post about carbon build up. I bought the car used drove it for 15k and didnt know till I went to Mellon that it had a real messed up tune and that the car was running super rich.

What we are tring to determine is what could cause this low power from a car that should be a base 440-500 hp with my mods. I'm at my witts end here, any and all ideas are welcome. here are a few I'm thinking myself.

1) clogged cat? I held the cat up to the sun when I got it and could see light thu it faintly. I'm no expert but it seemeds to flow good.

2) Timing is off (I'll have to get dealer to check this.) The guys who installed my cams could have messed up.

3)Custom Exhaust mani is a POS and is restricting. I dont see how but I'm shooting in the dark.

4) injectors clogged? AFR looks fine on our pulls.

5) turbo messed up. Spools smooth but maybe the hotside is messed up. I found one thread where someone put the wrong hotside on a turbo like mine and had similar problem. Since I bought this used I'm not sure how to tell what I got.

6)I'm getting a Map sensor cel and tps sensor circuit cel thrown. I guess I'll have to replace these. but it never happened till I put the turbo kit on so I'm not confident they are truley bad but who knows.

So thow my your Ideas I know between Us Evom members we can figure this out. I need every angle.
Thanks guys and a special thanks for Mellon being shuch a great guy and spending 2 days to tune around my problems so I can at least play with her. I'll be back when I figure this out Bro!

Last edited by Kilratio; Sep 14, 2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:28 AM
Former Sponsor

1) do a leakdown test on cylinder 3. determine why your 40-50psi low on that cylinder. this is definately hurting your power

2) remove the high flow cat and do a test pipe. the more power you make (or want to make) the bigger the restriction it is

3) get bigger cams. the hks 264 cams are barely bigger then the stock cams. bolting a big turbo on a car wont instantly give you 500whp (what gas are you running?), you need the right cams for your power band. you have cams for a low rpm powerband, and a big turbo for high rpm power band.

4) fix your CEL. this should always be the first thing you do before tuning a car. make sure its running right before tuning (some CELS don't hurt the operation of the car, but others do.)

5) since one of your codes is TPS, make sure your throttle cable is pulling the butterfly all the way open. it could be reading 100% but be only 2/3 of the way open.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:37 AM

cams will def help out alot. I have HKS 272's on mine and im making 405hp
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
I would suggest listening to Kevin. HKS Cams are crap for bigger turbos. Since you have an evo 8 I suggest springs and Kelford 272's or GSC S2's
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why did you not just take it to DB Automotive up there. they put together the silver beast
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
false knock?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:03 PM
Account Disabled

crcain I think the knock is real because lowering timing made it go away.

I know those cams are "small" but I've had guys make 460awhp and more on stock cams with a comparable turbo. We're talking about 300-350awhp, this car should make 400 at 20psi easily.

My feeling is that the timing marks are off...I didn't like the way it looked.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

there should be 17 belt teeth between the marks on the cams when at TDC. the of course the crank needs to be at the 0 mark at TDC.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Thx for the Info guys. I'll count the teeth between the marks tomorrow. I'm also going to wrap my Dp with heat wrap. So that of it hits the body its not sending false knock. I'm taking it to a garage for a leak down test tomorrow. I'll also check the TB to make sure it opens all the way.
By the "0" mark you mean the white dot on the crank needs to be at the mark on the cover after the mark that says BTDC?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Line up the marks for TDC on cylinder 1 using the cam gears and putting a long stick in the cylinder. It could be that you crank isn't lined up. Dont trust the mark on the crank pulley.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Line up the marks for TDC on cylinder 1 using the cam gears and putting a long stick in the cylinder. It could be that you crank isn't lined up. Dont trust the mark on the crank pulley.

you better trust the marks on the crank pulley the crank pulley bolts to the primary sprocket for the timing belt. the primary sprocket is keyed by the woodrift key on the crank. if thats wrong you have serious issues. if you have an aftermarket fluidampr or other crank pulley, then you should take caution. but stock pulley will be dead nuts on.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:11 AM
Account Disabled

down 45-50 psi on that one cylinder cant be helping.that should be your main concern.also probaly the cause to your funny idle.