Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whining..?!?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just installed a ingalls engine torque damper... could this affect it?
however i took it to my firends house with the evo and he told me its normal... but i still think the whine is a lil louder then usual... but just by a tad bit
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Try this...

When you are driving in 1st gear and getting the whine, push in the clutch and shift into neutral. See if it only happens in gear. That will help isolate it further. Also take note if it only happens through certain RPM ranges or certain gears. Try to listen for it even over the exhaust.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aar0nsite
I highly doubt it. You sure you aren't hearing a fuel pump whine? The Evo's is pretty loud.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:23 PM

Hey guys, I just bought a IX about 2 months ago and I took it into the local dealer for an oil change and they came back and told me that they were going to have to drop the transmission since it was whining. Also, they found a leak between the transfer case and the transmission. I should hear something back either tomorrow or Wednesday. It only whines in 1st gear though, which I thought all Evos were supposed to do. Maybe not. I'll post something when I find out. cheers.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

im pretty sure there is a tiny whine / drive train noise for all AWD's. Mine makes slightly noticable noise but with i'm driving on the highway, drop it to neutral and its not gone (which rules out the TC). I don't think its anything and it doesn't really bother me.

Last edited by samurai85; Sep 14, 2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

It might be your drive belts too that's making that noise.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ohh good call on the belts..i have not changed them yet, but what mileage do they need to be changed? i though it was 50 or 60k?

when i hear the noise and i push the clutch pedal in, the noise does gradually fade away and then when put into next gear it starts again.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

If it goes away when you push on your clutch then it might be your throw out bearing.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 07:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Aar0nsite
however i took it to my firends house with the evo and he told me its normal... but i still think the whine is a lil louder then usual... but just by a tad bit
good mod.........
Old Sep 15, 2009, 07:46 AM
Former Sponsor

alternators whine also when they are taking a ****..... (I put this before i read the top half of the threads..... im keeping it here just for future reference though)

Last edited by tscompusa2; Sep 15, 2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 07:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by eponti
If it goes away when you push on your clutch then it might be your throw out bearing.
which doesn't mean its failing it just means it isnt greased enough. if his TOB was failing he would be getting lockout in shifting.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 01:31 PM

My car does this as well. I was thinking it might be the power steering pump. I just replaced it with a new one, as the one that I had had about 63,000 miles on it. I am certain that it is not my trans or transfer, as they were rebuilt by Buschur and Shep just recently like 5,000 miles. I am suspect of the stock turbo thought. I have 67,000 miles on the car with a quite a few mods. I push that thing really hard, so I'm going to check that out. Also to eliminate any belt driven items, take the drive belt off and start that car. Dont let it run long, as the water pump isn't turning, and you are not charging your battery, but you know right away, if the belt is off if something is whining, ie. alternator, p/s pump...
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when the power steering pump goes bad, u hear a ticking noise when the wheel is turned all the way to one direction. when it is kept in that position it puts a lot of stress on the pump. that is why when people like to do a lot of donuts in cars, one of the first things to go bad is the power steering pump because of the constnt strains applied to it during that maneuver.

i will be installing an intake and intercooler piping soon and then getting tuned. so next time i am in there i will check again for shaft play.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

the funny part is that i just noticed this noise now since its ethiopia hot here in miami so now i run with my windows up and the ac on... but you only hear the noise when the car is in gear and then when i shift to neutral the whine looses its pitch as the rpm needle goes down to 900ish rpm. its not tranfer case because i drove the car on the highway and the whine would downshift as i shifted... i took her to a local tuner and they told me that evo are always whining... but idk why is this whining a bit louder, or it might be just me...

i think im going to take her to mitsu...
would they void my warrantee if i have a intake and a engine torque damper installed?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

They will mostly likely void your warranty once they see that intake unless you got a drop in filter.

IMO, I think the whining noise is from the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Whining..?!?