Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whining..?!?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009 | 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

i do not have an aftermarket fuel pump, although that is a good idea. i am looking to upgrade to a 255 soon lol then i will really hear a whining noise.
Old Sep 16, 2009 | 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

they will not void ur warranty for looking at the car and checking something out. if they can relate something to the problem then yes they have the right to void warranty. like if u have boost controller and higher boost and ur turbo goes bad that is no longer their problem.
Old Sep 17, 2009 | 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

1. Fuel pumps make a whining noise - listen to under your drivers side backseat you can hear it especially if its a walbro...
2. To my knowledge, EVO's first and I think second gears are straight cut with 3rd and up being helical. 3rd gear and up won't whine as much.
3. Having a engine torque dampener MAY (in most cases I've experienced and knew people with them) cause more internal noise, since it's transferring the engine vibrations to the frame/body of the car.
4. Check your fluids (transmission and TC) to see if they are full. If they are, then you probably don't have a leak....

Hope this helps you man!

BTW both EVOs I've owned (both my 8 and my current 9) 1st and 2nd gears were a bit more noisy than 3rd and up, so I wouldn't be REALLY REALLY REALLY concerned about the whining; just check it out a bit and if you don't see any leaks, etc then you should be good.
Old Sep 17, 2009 | 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

my guess is ur tcase... if its whinning. or if u had a after marking fuel pump but u said u dont.. and if u had a bad turbo it wouldnt build boost.. ur car would run like a dog..

hope u figure out ur problem man
Old Sep 17, 2009 | 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

The biggest problem I had with my tcase going was denial... sorry dude
Old Sep 28, 2009 | 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

It did it today pretty loudly, sounded like a supercharger when boost was building and dropping. So I went into the turbo, and checked for shaft play and there was none at all. Tight as can be. It doesn't sound like the TC case whine. I guess its just normal. Perhaps it whines a little louder b/c the MBC has it set higher.
Old Sep 28, 2009 | 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

ttt
Old Sep 28, 2009 | 08:36 PM

Are you using a open air intake? Or drop in? Whining is not a bad thing, but a failing tcase whine is really loud
Old Sep 28, 2009 | 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

The whine is certainly drivetrain related. I don't think the turbo or MBC have anything to do with it. Whether or not it's normal, who knows. Typically whining at lowerer speeds is 100% normal. Higher speeds, I'm not sure. Maybe a little whine, but if it sounds like a friggin firetruck is directly behind you, there is defiantly a problem.

Many people have different opinions on what's normal. This Evo whines differently than my old Evo, but they both whined. I watch videos of Evo's and some whine differently than others. Some are louder than others.

I'm in the same situation tying to figure out what's normal and what isn't. Normal or not, I'm already preparing to buy a TC rebuild and would like to get a built trans as well. My paycheck just doesn't agree.

Here is a good referance to what a really bad TC sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXbisxnAW-s

And one that might be starting to go bad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zz9J...eature=related
Old Sep 28, 2009 | 08:54 PM

i say belts i got the same high pitched whine (when the auxiliary or serpentine belt) is tightened too much.
Old Sep 28, 2009 | 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
The whine is certainly drivetrain related. I don't think the turbo or MBC have anything to do with it. Whether or not it's normal, who knows. Typically whining at lowerer speeds is 100% normal. Higher speeds, I'm not sure. Maybe a little whine, but if it sounds like a friggin firetruck is directly behind you, there is defiantly a problem.

Many people have different opinions on what's normal. This Evo whines differently than my old Evo, but they both whined. I watch videos of Evo's and some whine differently than others. Some are louder than others.

I'm in the same situation tying to figure out what's normal and what isn't. Normal or not, I'm already preparing to buy a TC rebuild and would like to get a built trans as well. My paycheck just doesn't agree.

Here is a good referance to what a really bad TC sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXbisxnAW-s

And one that might be starting to go bad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zz9J...eature=related
Thank you!!!!!

Mine sounds very very similar to the second video of "starting to go bad"

Its hard to tell, but is it only making that sound when keeping speed and decel, or was it doing it during acceleration as well?
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

yes i do run an open cone filter, which i thought might contribute to the sound. i'm pretty set that my whine is normal.
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 01:07 PM

sucks to say but its your transfer case lol mines starting to give out also. Time for a sheptrans stage2 lol g/l
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by evo unknown
yes i do run an open cone filter, which i thought might contribute to the sound. i'm pretty set that my whine is normal.
Cool, yea if its tc, its very noticable and you will be like wtf
Old Sep 29, 2009 | 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Just checked it out with 2 friends with my situation.

For some reason I keep hearing it coming from the front But both friends in my car confirmed that its coming from the back possible driver side.

But with all the combined passanger+driver weight of 550 lbs, the sound seemed to be less audible than before.

I'm going to change the rear diff fluid and see if it changes anything.

Quick Reply: Whining..?!?