Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whining..?!?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whining..?!?

under light acceleration i can hear a whining noise, anyting about a few thousands rpms the car is too loud to hear it. mostly positive it is not the tc. i am curious if it is the turbo because i did just install cobb ap and mbc and turn the boost up, but while i was installing the parts i did check for shaft play in the turbo and there was none.

any suggestions or ideas?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

i am concerned if the whining is coming from the turbo, does that mean it is going bad or just under more stress because of being turned up.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

is it possible that it is an exhaust leak? althought there is no loss of power, just a noise i recently started to hear

Last edited by evo unknown; Sep 14, 2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: additional information
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good way to make sure its coming from the turbo is to rev car with it parked, does it whine when you rev? if so yes then its the turbo..... is it a stock turbo? Whining could mean the the bearings are going bad, but mostly likely your seal will blow before anything happens extravagent ..... when the seal blows on the turbo it just leaves a smoke trail, nothing extremely bad to worry about.

ADD: If the whine only occurs when in movement then expect the transfercase to be taking a ****.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was just looking this up too!

my concern is that when i rev the engine i hear it whine in first and second gear. then in third gear u start to hear it less... then by the time you are in forth the car is loud enough to drown the noise but u can hear it if u listen carefully...

it sounds similar to the same noise you get when you rev a automatic car tho!

any suggestion guy?

-aaron
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
Good way to make sure its coming from the turbo is to rev car with it parked, does it whine when you rev? if so yes then its the turbo..... is it a stock turbo? Whining could mean the the bearings are going bad, but mostly likely your seal will blow before anything happens extravagent ..... when the seal blows on the turbo it just leaves a smoke trail, nothing extremely bad to worry about.

ADD: If the whine only occurs when in movement then expect the transfercase to be taking a ****.
oh dang!! YES i rev it when im parked and i hear the whine!!! and yes its a stock 9 turbo in my MR!! so i guess its the bearing... now what do i do?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Well you said it has no shaft play did you check for up and down and in and out? in and out would be very bad if theres play but up and down not so much as all mitsubishi turbos have shaft play up and down when seals cold.

Thats good that its happening when you just rev at idle, i would cancel out the transfercase which would be much worse then if it is the turbo........ I recommend taking the car to another evo owner thats smart with repairs and get a second opinion before you go jumping to worst case scenarios like this......

Take your car to TTP they are in FL and could probably just tell you what the noise is without even charging you $....
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

sweet then im going to take it to one of the local evo tunners around here... maybe to machine gone wild just to get a second opinon
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Good idea and post your findings back here so others can learn..... good luck.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

haha my thread got jacked so hard lol..

thanks for all the input.

i'll try to rev while parked. yes, when i checked for shaft play i went every direction and didnt notice anything abnormal. and i plan on having my friend with another evo check it out for anything abnormal. my first thought is that it sounded like something internal in the engine like when the engine is cold, but it happens even after warmed up. i'll post up my findings.

for aaronsite i would suggest taking it to mitsu if u have a warranty.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo unknown
haha my thread got jacked so hard lol..
Does the whine increase with the RPM's? As in get louder or more high-pitched? Are you sure it's coming from the front? If it is, then you can narrow it down by revving the car with the TB and listening to which side it coming from. Any recent mods? I think we need more info before saying it's your turbo going bad... Just my $.02
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

the sounds is like an engine would sound after a cold start on a cold day. however, the sound feels like it is coming from underneath me, which would be drivetrain.

perhaps something to do with my clutch which is oem at 43k miles. i get a rattling from the transmission area in the form of a rattling, and when i push the clutch pedal in the noise gradually goes away. mitsu told me it is the throw out bearing, but i was curious if it was something along the lines of an input shaft. perhaps it has something to do with the clutch on its way out. although the pedal catches high, it drives perfect.

it also doesn't sound like a blown turbo does because it is not as high pitched of a whine, but i didn't know if it is a beginning phase or what.

i'm hoping nothing is wrong, but i am just trying to get help to come up with a solution.

thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

and yes, the whine does increase as the rpms increase, but can only be hear until the rest of the engine noise makes the whine obsolete.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

oh another point to add in, the whine is best heard when going uphill.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

my car kinda makes a whine too..? its a graphite gray 06 evo 9. with only 17,000 miles.. its been whining since i had it.. never thought anythingof it because my friends evo whines as well.. i thought all evo's have a little whine to them when they're stock??

Quick Reply: Whining..?!?