Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quick Question, Evo wanting to stall

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick Question, Evo wanting to stall

Hey guys,

so i did search first and found no answer to my question, just check the bov and stuff anyways...

Ok, lets say I'm stuck in stop and go traffic. The car in front of me moves up enough so i can move forward as well. I put the car in first and gently take off but have to push in the clutch pedal in again because I have to stop again. well, when i push in the clutch pedal back in, sometimes my rpm's will drop almost all the way to zero and the engine will sputter like it is going to die but at the last minute catch itself and idle back at 900rpm where it usual sits at idle when the engine is warm.

The AC and all that stuff is turned off all the time so i dont think that has anything to do with it.

My car has S1 GSC cams, a full 3" exhaust, and is tuned at 21 psi. Is this normal or does anyone have any advice for me on what could be causing this problem? The engine never actually dies *knock on wood*. Also this car was previously owned in Georgia and was tuned there. Its now in Kentucky, would the different location mess up the tune by chance or something?

Lastly i recently swapped out my stock evo 8 bov with a evo 9 MR bov. This problem was still happening with the stock 8 bov as well, so i don't think the bov is the cause of the problem either.

Thanks a bunch guys!

-Solley
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
altitude/gas/air temps

get it re-tuned or at least log the car and see how the current tune is doing
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaotichoax
altitude/gas/air temps

get it re-tuned or at least log the car and see how the current tune is doing
thank you sir I appreciate your help, I'm actually taking her into the shop tomorrow to get the dreaded 60K service done. ill ask him if he can check it out for me

thanks man
Old Oct 7, 2009, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think it is if im tunned already and when i push the clutch in it makes a grinding noise but remember just pushing in the clutch not shifting i have the twin disk exedy and i first noticed it when i got off the freeway i pushed in the clutch and my car died in rush hour so i didnt hear the grinding noise so when i got my car home it sounded like the throw out bearing so i pulled the tranny what a pain might i add but put it back together and same thing going to try and post a video of it later today but any info untill then will help tried adjusting the clutch and bleeding thanks and the clutch has about 8000 miles on it
Old Oct 7, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Solley
thank you sir I appreciate your help, I'm actually taking her into the shop tomorrow to get the dreaded 60K service done. ill ask him if he can check it out for me

thanks man
60k done at a Mitsu dealer? If so, they probably will be of little help. Try to find a local tuner that can take a look at this for you.

BTW - the 60k service is relatively easy to DIY. The only real big hit is the timing belt, but depending on who you talk to it is pretty easy (not there yet, so I don't know).
Old Oct 7, 2009, 01:43 PM
TS8
Evolving Member

How is the idle and when you start the car?
It could be the Idle air control valve.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:43 AM

the idle is fine and i can control the idle still its just when you push is the clutch o and i am a tuner so that part is taken care of but it just makes the noises as soon as you push the clutch pedal in you hear a qrrqrrqrrqrr sound and just dies after the warm up stage im sure you could to compisate for whats wrong but she is not running how she should so im not going to retune it
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

to the op, my car does similar when sitting in traffic, i blame the big cams mostly, and seeing that yours has cams also it might be something to look into. check your timing when at idle. my tuner upped the timing in just the cells where the car is at idle and that seemed to help me out
Old Jan 4, 2010, 03:36 PM

Just wanted to update my problem was crank walk just to let people no its from using the exedy twin disk so just make sure if you have one to replace those bearings
Old Jan 4, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

^that sucks man, EVO's rarely are reported with crankwalk. GL
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:21 AM

Thanks