Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

big problem after filling up with gas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
big problem after filling up with gas

ok. im having a very odd issue. every time i fill the car up with gas it runs like crap. now i pump my own gas. its 93 oct. its been doing this since the last 5 fill ups.

after im done filling up. or even just dropping 10 15 bucks in the car it will not start. and when it does its running very very poorly and wanting to stall out, braking up. missing. very bucky. it does this for a while. until the car sits at least 24 hours. then it runs just fine for the remainder of the tank.

the dangerous part ''i think''

i just had a brand new motor put in the car due to my last one blowing up. when the last motor blew up it just went. made a huge bang ''like a mega backfire'' and that was the end of that. it just destroyed its self. at this time i thought nothing of it being in relation to this gas issue im having but then after having the motor built i went and got gas. again the car is running poorly. i get the car home and let it sit for the night. it then ran fine the next day and untill i needed to fill up again. now when i filled up again AGAIN its running **** poor. i get the car on the highway and just as i get into boost BANG huge very leathel type backfire. it was similar to the one when the car blew up but this time being built it was still alive. i then since have not messed with the car. im afraid to hurt the car. im afraid to tune it any further as i have to go WOT. the car is sitting right now its running just fine. but its time to fill up. i can not figure this out. i dont know if this is part of the problem on why my motor first blew up or not. but its a bit nerve racking. anyone have any info they can give me.

p.s. when its running good WOT is perfect. boost is high no issues at all. just after i fill up is when its acting up. and go's away when it sits for a day.

if you need any info on the setup to help lead to the problem just ask.

sorry for the dumb thread but i need help.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have no idea what your previous motor blowing up is all about or how it could still be causing issues. im assuming you have a new tune on the new motor?

i will say that when a gas attendant has filled my car and topped it off, it doesnt run great until you use up a bit of gas. i never "top off" the tank when i fill it myself
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jjm4life
i have no idea what your previous motor blowing up is all about or how it could still be causing issues. im assuming you have a new tune on the new motor?

i will say that when a gas attendant has filled my car and topped it off, it doesnt run great until you use up a bit of gas. i never "top off" the tank when i fill it myself
even when i dont top it off. if i just put in 15 bucks it still runs like poop.

i dont know if this has any relation to why the motor blew up. but i put it out there as the back fire i had was the same. and only happens when i get gas.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:13 PM

Just a guess, water or sediment in the gas tank?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spitz
Just a guess, water or sediment in the gas tank?
hum. i dont think so as im a last minute filler. lol im lucky half the time i make it to the stations. so if it was water at the bottom i am sure i would be sucking it up.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:23 PM
Account Disabled

Sounds like a fuel pressure issue. Have you checked to see what your fuel pressure is at idle and WOT?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silver3g2000
Sounds like a fuel pressure issue. Have you checked to see what your fuel pressure is at idle and WOT?
at idle its 43 i beleave. i forget. something like that. at WOT no i have not looked. the gauge was on the fuel rail. maybe i should get a gauge. lol. ill look into this.

but like i said. after the car sits its fine. WOT idle whatever. its all good. its only that fill up and run time until i turn the car off. then its fine.

maybe im wrong. but if i have a fuel pressure problem wouldent it be acting up all the time??
Old Sep 17, 2009, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dan: Will you give us your complete mod list please?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

My bud had "kinda" similar problem. We even tried swapping FPR. We also thought it was the injectors,fuel filter,fuel pump.(he has AMS fuel system) Then he decided to pull the sending unit. Then he saw the gromet/o-ring was bad. Try pulling out you sending unit.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
quote for truf!

I had a similar problem... the o-ring in the sending unit might be cracked.

Did you E85 through your engine? VP Import? Any race gas that is extremely corrosive?

Sounds like you have a fueling problem 100% and it's going to wipe your engine out unless you get it fixed.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evovin
My bud had "kinda" similar problem. We even tried swapping FPR. We also thought it was the injectors,fuel filter,fuel pump.(he has AMS fuel system) Then he decided to pull the sending unit. Then he saw the gromet/o-ring was bad. Try pulling out you sending unit.
hey. the o ring is good. it did this on a single walbro setup. and i just put a brand new duel pumper in and the rubber ring was still in mint shape.

i also replaced the injector's.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
quote for truf!

I had a similar problem... the o-ring in the sending unit might be cracked.

Did you E85 through your engine? VP Import? Any race gas that is extremely corrosive?

Sounds like you have a fueling problem 100% and it's going to wipe your engine out unless you get it fixed.
i dont have E85 here. just 93 oct.

i know it will kill the motor. as im thinking this is why it broke the 1st time.