Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mobil 1 5w-30 time to change?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
There's many scientific test I've seen posted here that prove Amsoil to be superior in many areas to just about every other commonly found oil on the market.

It's spendy but you should be able to go at least twice as far between oil changes since amsoil recommends only every 25,000 miles.

If you go the distance and do the math amsoil is actually the cheapest way to go in the long run since it lasts so much longer.
When Amsoil started selling synthetic oil to motor vehicle owners regular oil was selling for way less than a dollar a quart. Synthetic oil was much more expensive. So, what to do? Well, the answer was to make some claims for how long it would last. This got the company off of the ground.

Amsoil may be the best product out there. But, now, years later, Amsoil is still propagating the same claims. Most people on this list would not try to run the same oil and filter for 25,000 miles but that is not true for the general public. So, until Amsoil gets off the high mileage claims I am not going near any of their products. They need to grow up and be responsible before I get interested.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Look that may be true, i just have a problem trusting that an oil will keep it's viscosity that long.
I dont think that AMSOIL or any other company that would claim their oil can run 25K or 35K would slap those claims all over their bottles without doing any real testing to ensure the oil will last that long.
i tell you what my brother there would be law suits left and right for false claims.

Teal2nnr,,, let me clarify to you that there has been some of us that BEEN THERE DONE THAT as far as running oil analysis on these so claimmed long haul run oils, there are much proof of this already, so basically you are challenging something that has been set in stone.

I usto be a Mobil 1 guy for years and years and so was my entire family, bet the type of testing and proof was what streered me towards AMSOIL, i have seen engines, tranny's taken apart after 50K running all types of oil's and i tell you that you can see the difference in wear.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:34 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by barneyb
When Amsoil started selling synthetic oil to motor vehicle owners regular oil was selling for way less than a dollar a quart. Synthetic oil was much more expensive. So, what to do? Well, the answer was to make some claims for how long it would last. This got the company off of the ground.

Amsoil may be the best product out there. But, now, years later, Amsoil is still propagating the same claims. Most people on this list would not try to run the same oil and filter for 25,000 miles but that is not true for the general public. So, until Amsoil gets off the high mileage claims I am not going near any of their products. They need to grow up and be responsible before I get interested.

ok

Dude make claims of what,,, it is what it is,,, the testing has shown and proved over and over

why would i take off the bottles the number 25,000 miles or 35,000 on the SSO when in reality millions of americans are running their oils at that milleage and saving tons of money,,,, really why should i claim differently to make you feel better
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So will AMSOIL cover the powertrain warranty if we switch to AMSOIL and do 25K mile oil changes ?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:07 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by cij911
So will AMSOIL cover the powertrain warranty if we switch to AMSOIL and do 25K mile oil changes ?
Were you covered under warranty by Mitsu for operating under modified conditions when you blew up the motor,,, NO is the answer.

Plus if you read carefully we are talking about the capacity the oil's have these days, we are not talking about taking your evo with 400WHP to 25k on the same oil. it has been discussed over and over in the forums that one with a modified car should run oil analysis to set a baseline of when is best to change oils, but people insist over and over of just changing their oils @ 500 miles.

and to answer you question, if you were to put that oil on you wifes camry or your DD and it blew and everyone proved it was because of oil or filtration issues you will be covered, because here @ AMSOIL we Garuantee our products.

Last edited by apagan01; Sep 25, 2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TalonTuner4G63
Also, for those of you who want to keep following manufacturer's reccomendations and use Mobil 1, maybe you shouldn't mod your car? After all, the manufacturer dosn't reccomend that, yet you ignore it. Manufacturer reccomends 10W30 on a STOCK engine that probably dosn't get it's neck rung all the time and runs more positive pressure than it came with from the factory.

Mobil 1 5W30 and 10W30 have about the same viscocity as water. Imgaine how thin that oil is after it's passed through the turbo's center cartridge. Keep using thin *** oil, and keep having catastrophic failures.
These concrete assumptions are depressing to read.

I raced (Drag, AX, and HPDE) in my Evo - 120k on the clock - always ran 10w-30 - did my engine blow up? No. Why - proper tune, upkeep, and parts are main reasons.

It will not matter if you have a poor tune, crap parts, or no upkeep. If you blow your engine, there is much more in play here than just oil. And I strongly doubt oil would be the answer in 90% of engine failure cases.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:29 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
These concrete assumptions are depressing to read.

I raced (Drag, AX, and HPDE) in my Evo - 120k on the clock - always ran 10w-30 - did my engine blow up? No. Why - proper tune, upkeep, and parts are main reasons.

It will not matter if you have a poor tune, crap parts, or no upkeep. If you blow your engine, there is much more in play here than just oil. And I strongly doubt oil would be the answer in 90% of engine failure cases.
lots of people run their lifes on assumptions,,

i was wondering how i have been running my car on 10W30 how has boom29 who races AutoX high RPM's 130 miles on track wide open throttle and his oil analysis looks better than alot of people in here, many of my cusomters who race and DD their cars run the ATM 10W30 and have had the bes of luck because they are making educated decicions.

you see thats exactly the problem people reccomending high viscocity oil's and they dont realize all they are doing is harming the engine by oil starvation, the stock 4G63 is a very tight toleranced engine therefore trying to pass a 20W50 oil throught those pasages is like triying to pass syrup through a cofee straw.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:36 AM
Account Disabled

Here is some info righ off our web site, many of you have not even heard of this bu here it is.

Do you still think that any OEM copany can void your warranty because you are using different oils other than mitsu reccomended oil, well check this out your lovely government is on your side
If you are interested in using AMSOIL motor oil, but concerned that using a synthetic oil or extending your oil drain interval will void his warranty, you have no need for concern. Congress in 1975 enacted the federal Magnuson-Moss Act to regulate written consumer product warranties. An examination of the law reveals warranties remain intact when AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants are used.

if you want to read all, https://www.amsoil.com/magnuson_moss.aspx

AMSOIL does carry a waranty on their oil's

I know many of us wont even bother going through these warranty processes however at least they have been set in place to give you options.

For OIL'S Warranty
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1363.pdf
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Oh, and the SVTF has Amsoil in there right now too
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:39 AM
Account Disabled

Oh, and the SVTF has Amsoil in there right now too
Smike you cought me off guard .. SVTF
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

SVT Focus
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:47 AM
Account Disabled

SVT Focus

oh oh oh, got ya

way to go American car and American oil products AMS oil

SmikeEvo, regardless of everything we have stated here i hope some can learn from it, i dont say these things to contradic any ones opoinion, why because i usto think like that, once i got into the business one come to realize there is a lot of details involved, and hey that the reason you have experts in every topic, you have doctors they know doctor things, you have engineers they know engineering things, if we just let others teach us what they know and at the end of the day we go home and we add what we learned to our arcenal thats what will make us more wise in life such attitudes. END OF NOVEL
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am very familiar with the Magnuson Act.

Earlier you implied you can run the oil 25K miles and I feel that is misleading. For folks that keep their cars stock and/or want to maintain their powertrain warranty, they would need to follow the recommended maintenance schedule. Failing to do so could be cause for Mitsubishi to deny a claim.

I think AMSOIL makes some great products. I am considering using AMSOIL in my car, but will always follow the recommended service schedule or better.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BBS
2500 miles for your oil change seems like an awful waste of still good oil. You probably have 60-70 percent of good hydrocarbons at that mileage. The only excuses to change your oil that frequently is because of boredom or you like to waste money ;]. Stick with M1 10w-30.
I live in the desert so I'm just being careful thats why I change it every 2500 miles.
Should I switch to 10w-30? I've been running 5w-30 for 4 years now......have I really been using the wrong oil this entire time
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:13 PM
Account Disabled

I am very familiar with the Magnuson Act.

Earlier you implied you can run the oil 25K miles and I feel that is misleading. For folks that keep their cars stock and/or want to maintain their powertrain warranty, they would need to follow the recommended maintenance schedule. Failing to do so could be cause for Mitsubishi to deny a claim.

I think AMSOIL makes some great products. I am considering using AMSOIL in my car, but will always follow the recommended service schedule or better.
Here again mitsu do deny claim would go totally against the Magnuso Act, then mitsu would be dealing with the government in that point in time.

and then again who want to go through all those steps not me, but the reason they are there is to let know the big corporate world that they will not be able to take advantage of the consumer, ther has to be some boundaries set in place.

i dont think i implied or misslead anyone, because i have clearly stated that those long intervals are for your non modified Camry or toyota corolla, and for any modified vehicle one should run an oil analysis to set a baseline on when is best to change the oil, why because all evos are the same but the big difference is the level of modifications, the geographical place all this plays a big role on how well your oil will hold up, but the fact that these oils have such a high TBN number they are capable of holding harsh conditions unlike other oils.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 5w-30 time to change?