Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

shifter is very stiff in neutral

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2009, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
shifter is very stiff in neutral

the shifter is stiff in neutral it does not want to move side to side and i almost cant cant it into reverse anymore what the hell could this be??
Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

i cant believe no one else has had this problem before this is my 3rd evo and ive never had this problem either????
Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
change the Trani Fluid?
Old Sep 27, 2009, 05:18 PM

1. Check the linkage at the transmission.
2. Check the linkage under the center console.
3. Last resort, TEMP FIX, take the spring off the shifter assembly that returns it to neutral. I just discovered that my spring is broken when I took the console out to paint the silver **** black. My cables still pull the shifter back center even with the broken spring, so I assume you could get away without it...at least to see if that's the problem. But then again... if you didn't touch anything, the spring shouldn't be too stiff. Maybe it's bound up somehow.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

ill check that out, thanks
Old Sep 27, 2009, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Where the two linkages are bolted to the transmission, there is a white piece of plastic with a centering hole that rides between to the two linkages. It's just a small rectangle of plastic with a quarter moon cut into it that rides on shifter linkage shaft. Make sure that piece is still there, that it's not cracked or wedged funny.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 07:42 PM

make sure the shifter bushings re not seized
Old Sep 28, 2009, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

thanks guys ill be checking all these things today
Old Sep 28, 2009, 07:45 AM

I agree about the shifting bushing, easy to check
Old Sep 28, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo9_Dru
make sure the shifter bushings re not seized
how can i tell?
Old Sep 28, 2009, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
how can i tell?
Reach down behind the battery and try to shift through the gears that way.

Chances are your issues are bushings (siezed) and/or linkage related. Pull the linkage from the transmission. Does the linkage move freely? You can also try to move the shifter from inside the car, while the linkage is disconnected. If it's still rough with the linkage disconnected, you have a linkage problem. If the shifter moves around with a lot of ease, that linkage is not the problem. While the linkage is off, try to shift through the gears by reaching down behind the battery and grabbing where the linkage connects. That'll tell you if it's an internal trans issue (which I doubt). If that's ok, chances are it's the bushings.

Buy some aluminum bushings from AMS or Buscher and install them. Use some grease when you install them. The shaft through the center of the bushings needs to be able to "rotate", and it the facotry metal sleeve in the rubber buhsing is corroded or rusted, it could cause high shift effort.

Removing the strut bar makes the easier. Removing the battery makes it even easier, but not nessacery.

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Sep 28, 2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM

Chances are your issues are bushings (siezed) and/or linkage related. Pull the linkage from the transmission. Does the linkage move freely? You can also try to move the shifter from inside the car, while the linkage is disconnected. If it's still rough with the linkage disconnected, you have a linkage problem. If the shifter moves around with a lot of ease, that linkage is not the problem. While the linkage is off, try to shift through the gears by reaching down behind the battery and grabbing where the linkage connects. That'll tell you if it's an internal trans issue (which I doubt). If that's ok, chances are it's the bushings.

Buy some aluminum bushings from AMS or Buscher and install them. Use some grease when you install them. The shaft through the center of the bushings needs to be able to "rotate", and it the facotry metal sleeve in the rubber buhsing is corroded or rusted, it could cause high shift effort.

Removing the strut bar makes the easier. Removing the battery makes it even easier, but not nessacery.

thank you!!!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM

i just did want you said and it is internal trans issues

the shifter does not move side to side anymore

so what should i do now? go with a shep 5sp or rebuild the 6sp?

thanks for everyone's help
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

had the same problem along with it occasionally popping out of 5th gear. I put in the AMS under hood shifter bushings and all my problems went away. Shifts like a dream now.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:20 PM

I've had this happen b4, i had to swap out the shift cables that are connected from the shifter to the tranny. Old set broke.

Quick Reply: shifter is very stiff in neutral