Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSC S1 vs. S2 vs. 272

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSC S1 vs. S2 vs. 272

Ok so I searched around for a while and couldn't really find a comparison with what i was looking for.

Im looking to get a set of cams for my 03 VIII. Current mods are TBE MBC open element filter and a Mellon Tune at 23psi on 93oct.

So It seems like I cant find a single person that says any of the cams from GSC are not so good or just so so. On top of this I have had my eye on the S series cams sets for a while. Im getting close to my 60k mile marker and am getting a little board with the power my evo is making. Id also like to change the timing belt etc.

So my MAJOR question is whats the deal with the older GSC 272's? How do they compare to the S1's and the S2's? I'm under the impression that s1 is 264/268? and S2's are 274's.

So the 272's seems to be right in the middle. Can anyone provide more information on these?

In addition Id also like a little advice on what to go with for my particular car? Im not sure if I will be upgrading the turbo setup down the road but its possible. If i did it would most likely be the red or a green or maybe even just a IX setup or at least a 10.5 hot side. So from what i read the s1's are supposed to be great for stock turbos etc. would the s2's be overkill in the sense that if i didn't upgrade turbo's I would actually make more power with the s1's? Where to the 272's fall into play here?

Thanks for any info, and sorry if my questions seem a bit unorganized. I kind of wrote this thread from the top of my mind (if that makes sense)

Thanks again!

-Ethan
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:47 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Big cams are good on all fronts Get the S1's if you wanna stick with stock valvesprings. Get the S2's if you can afford to do valvesprings at the same time. The S-line are newer technology and built on the info that they learned from the previous generation of cams.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Big cams are good on all fronts Get the S1's if you wanna stick with stock valvesprings. Get the S2's if you can afford to do valvesprings at the same time. The S-line are newer technology and built on the info that they learned from the previous generation of cams.
If i got the valve springs to go along with the s2's but kept my current turbo setup would i not gain as much power as the s1's though? Thats what it seems to be saying on the GSC website.

Either way would you completely stay away from the 272's? Even if the price was right? Meaning much much cheaper then buying upgraded springs and cheaper to buy the cams themselves?

Thanks for your response!

-EThan
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

From what I've seen you can't go wrong with either of those cams...and forsure the s2 will make more power
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

I would just go with the newer S series cams...If you buy the regular 272 you will always wonder how much more hp you would of gotten with the new S series.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

I had the S2 cams on a stock turbo'd 03 and a mellon tune. You will love the torque and hp gain with those cams. When you do dual springs and retainers be sure to get the smaller inner diameter valve stem seals also.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Umm... where is Jon Bradley when u need him? He did a nice comparison with the s2's vs. stage 1 cams. I think its titled big cams little turbo, do a search on it. The outcome was the larger cams where proven to gain more power than the s1's up top. If your looking for early spool and low end torque stick with the s1's. He is from English Racing and there a great informative group of guys. I wish they weren't on the other side of the country LOL...
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought the s1's. I like them but have always wished I would have just saved the extra money and gotten the s2 and springs.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by EriCS
Umm... where is Jon Bradley when u need him? He did a nice comparison with the s2's vs. stage 1 cams. I think its titled big cams little turbo, do a search on it. The outcome was the larger cams where proven to gain more power than the s1's up top. If your looking for early spool and low end torque stick with the s1's. He is from English Racing and there a great informative group of guys. I wish they weren't on the other side of the country LOL...

I am right here

The thread is right here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tle-turbo.html
Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:04 PM

Well I was wondering the same thing, im on the stock 9 turbo for now. I was thinking about running s1 cams but it seems that s2 cams dont lose power on the stock turbo and im thinking about eventually upgrading to an FP RED. So it seems like the the path for me right now gsc s2 cams. Does anyone want to chime in on that or feel differently?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen no reason to shy away from the S2 even with the stock turbo unless you don't like the mild lope, gains everywhere over the S1
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

^^I have the s1 in my BBK car, and they even lope pretty good sometimes. Not near what ive heard from s2, but def. noticable that it has cams. They have great low end and make good power too. No complaints here.

-Alex
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by myev0sneezes
Well I was wondering the same thing, im on the stock 9 turbo for now. I was thinking about running s1 cams but it seems that s2 cams dont lose power on the stock turbo and im thinking about eventually upgrading to an FP RED. So it seems like the the path for me right now gsc s2 cams. Does anyone want to chime in on that or feel differently?
I think it really comes down to how the car is used. Street and dragracing, top end power is usually a little more important than a well balanced flat powerband. I have made more torque on S1s across the board than the S2 which might have peak numbers but a smaller powerband overall.

I vote huge, but I keep my motor revved up and dont road race as of yet so lugging out of a corner isnt very important to me.

Aaron
Old Sep 30, 2009, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
I've seen no reason to shy away from the S2 even with the stock turbo unless you don't like the mild lope, gains everywhere over the S1
Ha I love the lope! I have my neon from high school with a built 420A has the crane 16 cam setup i believe. Crane classified it as a "radical drag cam" I used to just listen to the lope for like 5 mins while it warmed up and cream my pants. lol

Anyway it seems like i will most likely get the S2 setup. The only thing I've read so far is that they may have slightly less torque on the low end with a stock turbo, but I'm sure the the top end will more then make up for it.

Now i know GSC recommends running their beehive springs? Is this correct and they don't say anything about retainers or valve stem seals?

What are people running with the s2's and is it required to run the after market spring setup with these?

Thanks for the info guys!
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:14 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you'll notice a loss down low, they are a very well rounded cam. I believe Kevin@MellonTuning is running the S2 with upgraded springs and stock retainers...spins it to 8k regularly. PM him if you want his take on them

Quick Reply: GSC S1 vs. S2 vs. 272