Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help me fix my Trust Ti-R exhaust please!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help me fix my Trust Ti-R exhaust please!!!

Hey guys,

I got my Trust Ti-R exhaust back in October of 2007 and it has been a great so far. This past weekend, however, a kind of disappointing thing happened a weld (near the flange to bolt to the cat) broke. Has this happened to anybody else? What would you guys recommend doing? I was under the impression that titanium was supposed to be a fairly durrable material for exhaust, correct me if I'm wrong Also, I'm located in the Chicagoland (suburbs of Chicago) area so if anybody knows a local-ish shop that would be able to weld it back together that would be great. Anyways, on with the pictures....

Thanks guys
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn if you lived in southern cali I could weld that up for you in no time. Take it to a muffler shop I"m sure it shouldn't be that much to fix up a flange
Old Sep 30, 2009, 02:45 AM
Evolving Member

whaaa?? A JDM piece broke? Unpossible! (j/k...)

titanium can be welded but I would not go to your regular exhaust shop to get it done. It should be tig welded and they should use titanium filler rod. Call welding shops/welders in your area and see if any of them have had any experience with titanium. Kind of a rare metal to work with outside of aerospace.

its interesting to see how the titanium doesn't rust next to the cat which rusted. I guess that means its real.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:33 PM

Oops didn't realize it was titanium. But I do have experience welding titanium and its easy. Nothing more different than welding steel or stainless steel. But the problem is the availability of having someone weld it since its rare and hard to get titanium rod. I think the minimum requirement to purchase titanium rod is 1 or 5 lbs, I don't remember but its 100 dollars a pound last time I checked.

So going to your average welding shop to weld up your flange won't be worth it since your average welding shop won't pay 100-500 dollars of titanum rod just to weld up your flange its not economical. Your best bet would to find a welding shop that deals with titanium on a daily basis.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

best thing to do and cheapest way is make it a slip fit into a SS pipe as long as the pipe that broke off with a clamp and bingo done deal!!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JdmGraphiteMR
best thing to do and cheapest way is make it a slip fit into a SS pipe as long as the pipe that broke off with a clamp and bingo done deal!!
don't forget the rvt to seal the deal!