Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ways to hold boost at higher rpms

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by brent_strong
Sure, you have more adjustment, but it won't affect the max pressure or taper.

Boost taper is generally accepted as a wastegate problem. I think something like a Forge wastegate would be a much more sensible decision than an EBC.
Yes, it will help the taper. Do a search and you'll see why. Most of us on the stock ECU use a GM 3-port solenoid (Like EBC's use) and use the Evos stock ECU to control boost. It's a cheaper alternative to spending so much on an EBC.

Any high pressure wastegate will still taper to a point.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And why will it help? Are you people running the same setup as the OP? Do you have experience running 28+ psi and testing a MBC vs an EBC and the taper? I'd have a hard time accepting advice to buy a $200+ part from someone who has no experience and can only explain his reasoning with "do a search".
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brent_strong
And why will it help? Are you people running the same setup as the OP? Do you have experience running 28+ psi and testing a MBC vs an EBC and the taper? I'd have a hard time accepting advice to buy a $200+ part from someone who has no experience and can only explain his reasoning with "do a search".
I was just giving him options. Search "EBC Taper" and you will find numerous threads on people using them to combat taper associated with MBC's. With ECU controlled boost I run 30 psi tapering to 24.8 psi at 8k rpms with my setup. If you read through This thread you will see what I am talking about. Since he runs a standalone he doesnt have that option. An EBC is basically the same thing, its a boost control solenoid controlled by a computer.

Last edited by TeStUdO; Oct 1, 2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, you only taper 1.6 psi from spike to redline? What do you trap with that setup? That is awesome. I would be going 130's all day if I had that, hehe.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by neonglh
Wow, you only taper 1.6 psi from spike to redline? What do you trap with that setup? That is awesome. I would be going 130's all day if I had that, hehe.
I never tracked it. 30 psi is on E85 just as a heads up. I adjusted the boost from 28psi tapering to 24psi and made more power. If you are running a modified head, it will be harder for you to control taper, but that isn't always a bad thing.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

I am on a bone stock engine with ARP head studs and a set of Kelford 272 cams with springs and titanium retainers. Bone stock intake manifold, throttlebody, etc.. I have so many restrictions, I am surprised it is flowing so well.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
- Weld the wastegate flapper shut.
- Bypass the intercooler
- Cut the downpipe before the bend and dump exhaust straight down
- Remove headlight and create a ram air tube directly to turbo inlet, no filter
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I have seen people hold about 23-24 psi to redline but you wont get much more then that.
Recomplile said what I was going to say!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if u find a way past the laws of physics please share the knowledge

you are pushing the limits of the stock turbo and getting great results!! keep up the good work
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

on my old setup i spiked just over 27psi and held almost 26 to redline. it was a 20g with a forge wg. the turbo was fully ported an i had a megan mani. i also had a stock tb and intake mani. i usedd a hallman mbc
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by recompile
- Weld the wastegate flapper shut.
- Bypass the intercooler
- Cut the downpipe before the bend and dump exhaust straight down
- Remove headlight and create a ram air tube directly to turbo inlet, no filter
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

If I can get back to the track before the end of the season, I am definitely going to experiment with a filter vs. no filter. I was thinking of running some dryer ducting directly to my turbo inlet or something like that.

We only have a few weeks of the track open in western NY this year, and I am out presenting at conferences for a few weeks, so it will be tough, but I will definitely see what I can do, and let everyone know what I find

I think we may have a different WGA at the shop, so if we do, I will give that a shot, and do back to back dyno pulls to see if we can do anything to hold more boost.

--mark
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

i used to have the same problem w/ my srt-4 when i had stock turbo.... stock boost is 15psi spike and 12 at redline...w/ my wastegate/boost controller i used to put it to 18 psi..then it would go to 13-14 at redline...sooo i put it up to 23psi and it would drop to 18psi after a couple hundred rpm's and then 16 at redline lol. .sooo just jack it to the sky as some one else already said haha..
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CantStopSpinin
i used to have the same problem w/ my srt-4 when i had stock turbo.... stock boost is 15psi spike and 12 at redline...w/ my wastegate/boost controller i used to put it to 18 psi..then it would go to 13-14 at redline...sooo i put it up to 23psi and it would drop to 18psi after a couple hundred rpm's and then 16 at redline lol. .sooo just jack it to the sky as some one else already said haha..
SRT4, the solution is easy. Go with an AGP WGA and you can hold 24 to redline no problem.

I would love to have a solution that easy for the Evo, and that is why I want to try the forge WGA

--mark
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CantStopSpinin
He's at the diminishing point on the stock turbo though. Turning up boost to turn it up isn't always good. Much more than 28psi and that turbo is just flowing hot air.

Quick Reply: Ways to hold boost at higher rpms