Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fuel pressure testing with the BR double pumper

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Fuel pressure testing with the BR double pumper

The car that this was tested on is the Bad Bish.

This particular pull was the first one I made after making some fairly large changes. As you can see the car produced 684 whp/537 ft lbs. To put that into perspective, the car made 635 whp and ran 9.04 at 159 mph last year.

This is about the fuel system so I'll stick to that.

1. BR double pumper with both pumps modded for high pressure. (Pressure reliefs depressed)

2. BR twin feed line kit

3. BR billet fuel rail

4. 2200cc injectors

5. Stock fuel pressure regulator

6. E85 fuel

Our fuel rail has an 1/8th inch NPT port on it for a fuel pressure gauge. I placed a 0-125 psi pressure sensor into the fuel, the pressure sensor comes with a chart to convert voltage to PSI. I used the chart and just converted the voltage.

As you can see the boost and fuel pressure which is labeled PR Pressure Voltage, remain constant and run parallel to each other. The base fuel pressure according to the sensor was 37 psi. The fuel pressure once boost was reached stayed at about 80 psi. You just can't ask for much more than that from any fuel delivery system.

You will also note how rich the car was running 11.49:1 AFR's and as long as you are looking the FP where is is marked is at 9145 rpm. Also take note of the flat line the AIT's stay at

I wanted to demonstrate how good our double pumper fuel system is with the twin lines and I think running E85 on a 700 whp car and showing stable correct fuel pressure should further prove the quality and flow of our system.

Hope you enjoy the information.

Old Oct 1, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ID2200s?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Yes.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

When the car is back together we are doing to do more testing on this, one thing that is not shown on the graph is the point where the twin pumps kick on, this causes a spike the fuel pressure for a second. I have put together a really nice bolt on regulator kit for the car and am hoping we can smooth that out. More information to come when testing continues.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

good info here
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
When the car is back together we are doing to do more testing on this, one thing that is not shown on the graph is the point where the twin pumps kick on, this causes a spike the fuel pressure for a second. I have put together a really nice bolt on regulator kit for the car and am hoping we can smooth that out. More information to come when testing continues.
Dave quick question, since were running a return style fuel system why do you have too activate the fuel pump to turn on at a certain boost level? Why not just run both pumps at a selected base fuel pressure, with the pumps on all the time?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Running both pumps at the same time will over run the stock regulator and cause the fuel pressure to be too high at idle.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 06:33 PM

Running both pumps at the same time will over run the stock regulator and cause the fuel pressure to be too high at idle.
I didnt know so many people who buy this kit still are utilizing a stock fuel pressure regulator. Im sure youd agree with me if your running an afpr that this "fuel pump switch" wouldnt be a necessity. I was under the impression people who bought this kit would also be running an good afpr to control base fuel pressures depending on injector size.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Base fuel pressure has nothing to do with injector size, unless you are trying to run really high base pressure because your injectors are too small.

We try to sell what's needed, not what isn't. So the fuel system was designed to keep as much of the factory components as possible.

For example, last year when my car ran the 9.04 at 159 mph it had our double pumper, stock single feed line and return line, 1200 cc injectors, BR fuel rail and the stock regulator.

I thought I was running out of fuel line and we came up with the twin feed line kit, which still uses factory lines that come on the EVO. That helped fatten up a lean spot I had and dropped the duty cycle another 5% or so. Now it's obvious that I have enough pump and line to make who knows how much power but I can see that there is a spike in the fuel pressure and I want to work on eliminating it. I'll have my final pieces on Monday to finish buttoning up the Badbish and then it'll be back to the dyno and more logging.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 06:19 AM

Base fuel pressure has nothing to do with injector size, unless you are trying to run really high base pressure because your injectors are too small.

We try to sell what's needed, not what isn't. So the fuel system was designed to keep as much of the factory components as possible.

For example, last year when my car ran the 9.04 at 159 mph it had our double pumper, stock single feed line and return line, 1200 cc injectors, BR fuel rail and the stock regulator.

I thought I was running out of fuel line and we came up with the twin feed line kit, which still uses factory lines that come on the EVO. That helped fatten up a lean spot I had and dropped the duty cycle another 5% or so. Now it's obvious that I have enough pump and line to make who knows how much power but I can see that there is a spike in the fuel pressure and I want to work on eliminating it. I'll have my final pieces on Monday to finish buttoning up the Badbish and then it'll be back to the dyno and more logging.
Or a low base fuel pressure to provide more fuel volume at the rail for people w/bigger injectors and less pump capacity, it goes hand and hand. To say it has no effect on injector size wouldnt be a good statement.

I haven't been around here too long but im curious to know if you did any testing on your evo with ethanol and your own twin pump setup? Have you ever found the limits of the system yet?

Looking foward to seeing more fuel system testing
Old Oct 3, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1slowlaser
I haven't been around here too long but im curious to know if you did any testing on your evo with ethanol and your own twin pump setup? Have you ever found the limits of the system yet?
Read the first post... this test was done with E85. Which is why it is impressive because he is probably making close to 900 bhp.

Originally Posted by 1slowlaser
Or a low base fuel pressure to provide more fuel volume at the rail for people w/bigger injectors and less pump capacity, it goes hand and hand. To say it has no effect on injector size wouldnt be a good statement.
Low base fuel pressure to provide more fuel volume? I don't understand what your saying. Can you clarify?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David what would you guess is the max HP on your dyno that DB could support before it stops providing adequate fuel pressure? What IDC are your 2200's at?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by crcain
Read the first post... this test was done with E85. Which is why it is impressive because he is probably making close to 900 bhp.

Low base fuel pressure to provide more fuel volume? I don't understand what your saying. Can you clarify?
More fuel pump capacity will be had w/a lower base fuel pressure vs a higher base fuel pressure. The lower the base pressure, the more fuel volume will be available at the rail under boost conditions.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Dave this looks good and it may sort out my fuel probs.

If i can get away from running a fuel cell with 2 x Bosch pumps.

I all ready have your double pumper maybe order these lines and we good to go.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

The statement about the pumps flowing more with lower pressure is correct but off a bit from the discussion. If the system is holding 80 psi with 40 psi base pressure obviously it is going to hold 70 with 30 base pressure. The point is the system is doing it's job, lower base pressure would make the job even easier, so wouldn't be much to brag about. Atomization also gets worse as the rail pressure is dropped and nobody is looking to do that.

I don't have my tuning laptop in front of me and can't remember what the duty cycle is right now on the 2200's. If my memory is correct, running low 11 AFR's it is right about 90%, I wasn't done dialing the car in, at 12:1 I was expecting to see about 85%. Consider the fact if you are running gasoline the duty cycle will drop another 30% and you have a fuel system that is going to support 1000 whp on our dyno, which we've never seen any car come even close to. Our black car was the highest HP ever on our dyno and I think the best was 890, it was not equipped with this fuel system.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure testing with the BR double pumper