Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mysterious Boost Leak Under Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2009, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
where is the egr hoses? back left of manifold?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
where is the egr hoses? back left of manifold?
back right...
Old Oct 3, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Anybody ever experience this yet?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Guess not...

Bump for some insight on this.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 07:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would check your injector orings on the intake manifold. sometimes they sound like a leak inside the valve cover. if your intake manfiold has been off that gasket is also a possbility. if it truly is inside the valve cover, it could be valve stem seals. of the PCV valve is stuck open and boost pressure is getting into the crankcase. headgasket isn't a possibility for the leak because it is not pressurized with intake air anywhere (unless you have bad compression on a cylinder, then its time to pull the head). if you have positive crank pressure, it will blow out through the vent from the valve cover to the intake, not through the headgasket.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
i would check your injector orings on the intake manifold. sometimes they sound like a leak inside the valve cover. if your intake manfiold has been off that gasket is also a possbility. if it truly is inside the valve cover, it could be valve stem seals. of the PCV valve is stuck open and boost pressure is getting into the crankcase. headgasket isn't a possibility for the leak because it is not pressurized with intake air anywhere (unless you have bad compression on a cylinder, then its time to pull the head). if you have positive crank pressure, it will blow out through the vent from the valve cover to the intake, not through the headgasket.

Yea, I checked them when I first came accross this issue. The only thing I can think of is that the motor was cold the last time I did the leak test. maybe this is why air was getting past some of the seals.

I replaced the PCV valve not too long ago, so I would be hesitatnt to think it was that. Although it very well could be.

I do believe, after doing several tests to about 15psi, I had a couple of drips on oil on the ground as I have the one pvc connection which normally goes to the intake disconnected for the test.

I was actually planning on pulling the head this weekend, and replacing the headgasket. Should I pull the valve cover before hand and see if there are any other issues I can see before I pull the head on the weekend, and am stuck on ordering parts?

Thanks for the help on this,
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

• The intake manifold has never been off
  • I will install a new pcv valve tonight when I get home
  • I will also check the injector O rings again, but I highly doubt they are the cause as I have checked them serveral times. They are seated correctly, and I have even sprayed them with soapy water during the test.
If I still have the issue after these borrage or tests, I guess I will have to do a compression test, and see whats really going on. It will abviously show the head gasket leak, but I guess we will see just how bad it is after the test.

I'm just trying to avoid having to pull things apart more than once.

Say, go to replace the headgasket, and put it all back together, and find out the valve stem seals are bad...
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when you have a throttlebody leak, the hissing is obvious. when you move the throttle cable, the sound changes, but it is still the throttlebody seals... hopefully you didn't think the sound goes away when moving the cable.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

when you have a throttlebody leak, the hissing is obvious. when you move the throttle cable, the sound changes, but it is still the throttlebody seals... hopefully you didn't think the sound goes away when moving the cable.
No I ddidnt think the sound would go away from moving the cable.

On the contrary, the sound only becomes apparent with I move the throttle cable...

I tried to see if I could hear the leaking air when not moving the cable, but its dead silent. I only hear the leak once the cable is moved.

Maybe this is all related to doing th boost leak test on the car while it isnt fully warm?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

So I just got home, and didnt have time to stop by autozone and pickup a compression tester, so I will have to test that tommorow night.

But, I did another test right after I just drove 30 minutes, and the car was still hot/warm. Same issue, sounds like it is coming from inside the valve cover. Sounds like cylinder 3 (closest to battery).

Definatly not coming from the injector o rings. I did not pick up a pcv valve either, so hard to say about that, but it is not more than 2 years old.

I will report back tommorow after the compression test and new pcv valve replacement. Although I know the compression test will be low in cylinder 3-4, given I know I have a head gasket leak.

Although, I logged a 2-4 gear pull tonight at about 25 lbs, no traction in 2nd gear, and third was clean with no timming pull nor knock. Very rich afr's though, 10.1's on the wideband.