Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ticking noise coming from engine bay somebody help please?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2009, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ticking noise coming from engine bay somebody help please?

okay so i just bought this evo and when i test drove the car i didnt hear anything wrong with it, and then got it home and i heard this ticking noise after it was warmed up. i dont think its rod knock because i have watched a few videos on youtube and it sounds nothing like that, its like a ticking noise and my dad suggested that it could be the valves?? if anybody has any insite on this it would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 3, 2009, 09:37 AM

Maybe a lifter issue.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

how many miles are on it? any service records?

Valves prolly just need to be adjusted....
Old Oct 3, 2009, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Location: I'm Canadian living and working in Dubai/Kuwait/Bahrain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They tick man, question is how badly is it ticking. Go and boost a bit and see if it goes away.
Search ticking noise on here you will find many different opionions
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
could just be your injectors

depending on brand and weight of oil that is used you can develop an audible tick

make a vid so we can get a better idea
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

hey guys thanks for all the responces, it just ticks at a steady pace, when i get to higher rpm it ticks faster, also the car has 60k on it and the previous owner was a dumbass to put it nicely and yeah.. i dont own a video camera so i cant film noise.. if you guys have any more suggestions please let me know!
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:55 AM

looks like to be your lifter
do you run aftermarket cam ?
what grade of engine oil do you use actualy ?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

no its stock cam, i have 3"dp, hks hi power catback, injen intake, hks ssq bov, evo 9 turbo, apexi boost controller, apexi turbo timer, and its tuned

and im running mobile1 full syn 10w30 like it says to run
Old Oct 3, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax

depending on brand and weight of oil that is used you can develop an audible tick

Hmmm, interesting. I also have a very loud ticking noise coming from my injectors and I have recently changed my oil to 20w-50. I didn't know that injector noise and oil viscosity could be related like that so I'll try to find out when I change my oil again.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Location: I'm Canadian living and working in Dubai/Kuwait/Bahrain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^lolz
Old Oct 3, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
They Tick, honestly its probly how it should sound. If you want to be 100 percent sure, post up a vid of the car with the hood open and then engine running, that will give people a better idea.

It's most likely just the valves, but it could be a lifter. I'd rather not scare you into thinking something’s wrong with your car when in reality it could be nothing.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
They Tick, honestly its probly how it should sound. If you want to be 100 percent sure, post up a vid of the car with the hood open and then engine running, that will give people a better idea.

It's most likely just the valves, but it could be a lifter. I'd rather not scare you into thinking something’s wrong with your car when in reality it could be nothing.

yeah everybody ive talked to said its prolly nothing because evos are noisey, im just used to a smooth sounding motor.. like it run very smooth but that noise just scares me.. anything weird like that freaks me out. my buddy is going to adjust the valves for me sometime this week and well see if it continues after this. thanks for all the help guys
Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaotichoax

yes, when my injectors fire you can obviously hear them over the engine noise. what part of the bay are they coming from? video would help!
Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you might think this is weird, but you can find a needle stethoscope in most stores (napa, pep boys, auto zone, etc..) and you can put those on and search around for the noise. put it up against the injectors, head, wherever you think until you narrow it down. weird suggestion, but it might help...
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

My car has almost 85000 Miles on it now and its always had a tick under the hood and I have always thought to me self is it the lifter? Is it a valve? But after so many miles I have givin up and just accepted that evos make sounds lol its like any Mitsubishi.

Try taking a Flat head screw driver and putting frimley against you ear and touch the valve cover above each cylinder you will hear each set of valves and you can go down the and listen to see if any of them are louder then the others and that will tell you if something is wrong. You can also do this for each injector. Its simple and it works great But remember that motor sounds travel and go a long way.

Quick Reply: ticking noise coming from engine bay somebody help please?