Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

starter solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
starter solenoid?

i left my car in a parking lot for a week without driving it (at school, so usually not much driving during the week since im on campus). it ran fine a week ago, but when i got in it the other night, it wouldnt start.

battery = good.
starter = good.
BUT the starter solenoid has failed, since i can hear the starter working, but not turning the flywheel. it seems the actuator that pushes the gear into the flywheel doesnt work anymore.

im told there is a solenoid rebuild kit so i dont have to buy an entire starter? however, all i can find are complete starters. ive looked on autozone, napa, and a few online dealerships.

i hear this is a common issue with evos (03 evo 8 gsr), so can somebody show me a link to said rebuild kit? teh parking people are after me to give me tickets and tow since i cant move my car, so im kinda in a rush to get it fixed.. plus im starting to have withdrawls.

thanks in advance
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Take it to a shop that repairs starters and alternators.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

i could, but replacing a solenoid isnt that difficult, id rather save the labor fee's and do it myself. diagnostic is done.. thats the hard part.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can buy just solenoid sorry i dont have the part number but i had to replace one so dont wast the money on a new starter if it is just the solenoid
Old Oct 4, 2009, 06:43 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Before you spend the $ on a solenoid, check and make sure the screws didn't back out. Could be a free fix!
Old Oct 4, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoChrisLee
You can buy just solenoid sorry i dont have the part number but i had to replace one so dont wast the money on a new starter if it is just the solenoid
correct, but do you have any info on where to get it? (no part number you said, but a link or something?)

i know its out there, but everything listed is whole starters

Before you spend the $ on a solenoid, check and make sure the screws didn't back out. Could be a free fix!
thanks for that, ill have to go look..
Old Oct 4, 2009, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by From 3 to E
i could, but replacing a solenoid isnt that difficult, id rather save the labor fee's and do it myself. diagnostic is done.. thats the hard part.
Yeah, there is nothing much hard about working on a starter. Still, I am not sure the diagnostic is done. The starter runs after the solenoid pulls in closing the switch connecting the starter to the battery. So, the slug in the solenoid is moving. So, maybe the linkage has come apart or the overrunning clutch is shot. You could have a tooth or two missing on the flywheel. This last possibility can be diagnosed by turning the engine by hand and then trying the starter again.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

well we had to bump start the car to move it to a different parking lot (to avoid being towed over the weekend) and it still doesnt start, so unless the flywheel stopped in the EXACT same place, i dont think thats the issue.

the others are still possibilities though. i just figured it was the solenoid since i can hear it turning when i "crank" with the key.. just sounds like its free spinning?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by From 3 to E
well we had to bump start the car to move it to a different parking lot (to avoid being towed over the weekend) and it still doesnt start, so unless the flywheel stopped in the EXACT same place, i dont think thats the issue.

the others are still possibilities though. i just figured it was the solenoid since i can hear it turning when i "crank" with the key.. just sounds like its free spinning?
I had the same issue and it's not the solenoid. The gear that engages the flywheel teeth is not locking in place and instead is spinning in place when it engages the flywheel instead of moving the flywheel to start the car. Pull the starter and see if you can move the teeth forward on the starter, if you can you are better off getting a new starter. You can probably pick up a used one pretty cheap. My symptoms were that when I cranked it would sound like a high pitch whirring like it was spinning in place (which it was)
Old Oct 4, 2009, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Creamo3
I had the same issue and it's not the solenoid. The gear that engages the flywheel teeth is not locking in place and instead is spinning in place when it engages the flywheel instead of moving the flywheel to start the car. Pull the starter and see if you can move the teeth forward on the starter, if you can you are better off getting a new starter. You can probably pick up a used one pretty cheap. My symptoms were that when I cranked it would sound like a high pitch whirring like it was spinning in place (which it was)
this is EXACTLY what happened to me..

other news, car started tonight.. we bump started it, drove it to another parking lot, turned it off. tried to start it again and it starts.

CEL came on, idles really high, and it now sounds like i have t-case whine.. now im really stumped.. sorry barneyb, i was incorrect earlier and you were right! now im not sure where to go from here since it starts some of the time.