Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo IX Mivec and Cams question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Evo IX Mivec and Cams question

I have an IX and also have HKS 272 cams (supposedly both) on the stock valvetrain. Today however, a friend and I came to the conclusion that my car probably only has the intake cam. We noticed that the intake cam sensor has some hi temp silicone and looks as though it was opened, whereas the exhaust cam side looks like it was never touched. I heard an Evo 8 on youtube with both intake and exhaust cams, and at idle it lopes like crazy.

My car has very little, IF ANY lope at all and sounds nothing like the VIII did on youtube with hks 272's. The guy I bought the car from though didn't lie to me about a single thing on the car, and he told me the car did have both intake and exhaust cams, but Im starting to think it really doesnt have the exhaust cam.

So, my question is, is it true that the 9's (particularly on the stock springs, etc) do not have a choppy lope with the mivec compatible cams at idle?

I know its possible to get a choppy idle because of the Cosworth M3 Evo IX video on youtube, and that thing sounds amazing haha.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well depending on the tune you can even out the lope tuning the mivec and idle, not sure how much with the HKS's though. i have always heard that the HKS's are very similiar to the stockers. what rpms does the car idle at? my buddies 8 lopes while under 1k rpms but if its close to or at 1k the lope seems to even itself out.

GSC S2 cams give a pretty nice lope along with the kelfords and FP4r cams.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the HKS 272 in my 9 and it isn't choppy at all.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

their profile is similar to stock thats another reason u can run them with the stock valvetrain.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Ya thats why I figured there was no lope was because of how stock valvetrain compatible they are. The car idles at 850rpm.

Once in a while, like if Im driving around and I come to a stop, the afr goes way lean, off the map (I know why it does this and Im fixing it this week) and the idle drops to about 500rpm for a few seconds then slowly comes back up. When it does this, the idle is extremely choppy, which makes me believe the cam could be there, but once the afr levels off back to 15 and the idle gets back to normal, the lope goes away. So I get my few seconds of pleasure hearing the car lope until the idle comes back up haha.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
HKS 272 cams are barely an unpgrade for the IX's so I'm really not surprised your idle doesn't seem rough. Pop your valve cover off and look for HKS markings on the cams.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Ya Im imagining just how more nuts the car would become by throwing in some kelfords or cossies haha.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
HKS 272 cams are barely an unpgrade for the IX's so I'm really not surprised your idle doesn't seem rough. Pop your valve cover off and look for HKS markings on the cams.
I picked up 25hp on Buschur's dyno.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

here is a nice sound for ya!

this is Fathouse's car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqzIkpC_Hvk

and here is a set of GSC s2's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6xbu...eature=related
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metalsaber
I picked up 25hp on Buschur's dyno.
By just dropping in cams on a IX? Not possible. To get those gains you had to do some tuning.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Ya Im imagining just how more nuts the car would become by throwing in some kelfords or cossies haha.
Honestly with a stock turbo you wouldn't really gain much. You'd definitely lose some low-end with either of those two you mentioned, but if you went with some GSC S1's or FP4R's you'd probably be able to spool a bit quicker with proper MIVEC tuning.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my afr went from 11.5 to 13 with the hks 272 cams on the ix with a green.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

By just dropping in cams on a IX? Not possible. To get those gains you had to do some tuning.
Yeah, your point? Who wouldn't tune their car after adding something like that?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly with a stock turbo you wouldn't really gain much. You'd definitely lose some low-end with either of those two you mentioned, but if you went with some GSC S1's or FP4R's you'd probably be able to spool a bit quicker with proper MIVEC tuning.
Oh ya I know Id lose low end for sure, which I dont really mind to be honest it spools insanely fast now anyway, if I lose a bit down low to gain some up hi I'd take the trade. ive got a few options, definitely considering FP4R's. I wont be keeping the stock turbo, Im going to go with an 80mm Red with ported hotside plus a bunch of other stuff in the spring.

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
here is a nice sound for ya!

this is Fathouse's car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqzIkpC_Hvk

and here is a set of GSC s2's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6xbu...eature=related
The FP4R's I like, a little high of an idle for my liking but still a really sick sound. Its V8 choppy almost. Heres the car I love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEI1rCMctRM Low idle, choppy as hell. Pure sex to me.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I have the hks 272's as well and mine seem like they use to be pretty choppy but after my tune it seems like it went away. Maybe my idle is set too high.