Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

So.. My ACT clutch fell apart!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2009, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry So.. My ACT clutch fell apart!!!!!

Well... I don't even know what to say at this point. I guess I'll just tell it like it happened.
I was I-95 on my way home when I made the decision to engage in one of those activities that we don't talk about on the forum with another particularly quick VW.... After he got "Pwned" twice... I let off to give him the . I clutch... I drop back... let the clutch back out... and boom. Then the rattle came... then... the clutch peddle gets soft and grinds and vibrated when ever you touch it. I've had this clutch in my car for 5k miles. Its never seen the drag strip and has been launched no more than 5 times. Bare in mind that I was on the expressway. This didn't happen on a crazy clutch dump. That being said... You can add me to the list of ACT haters. Im officially in. Is there some sort of support group?

Ill take pictures of the clutch once I have it out...

How I've coped with the problem you ask..

I started by contacting Jon @ TRE. This guy knows his stuff. I talked to him no less then 3 times a day for the last two days. I ordered up the 2.5 build complete with ix 1st gear... shot peen'd gears... rem polishing everywhere. I paid for it yesterday and he shipped it out the same day. Hows that for service. The trans will be here on Tuesday. He will also set up all the shipping for my Core return.

Next I had to deal with the clutch issue. At this point I'm done screwing around with this... For a long time I've wanted a twin.. just didn't know what I wanted. I decided on the SPEC SS Twin. I think this clutch is going to be great for daily driving. Ted B has it in his car and loves it. I cant wait to install it and give a review.

Wish me luck!!

Last edited by WickedWhtMR; Oct 9, 2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

ol well good on the kill, bad on the clutch my Spec 2 did the same thing btw lol
Old Oct 9, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brokenevo
ol well good on the kill, bad on the clutch my Spec 2 did the same thing btw lol
Was it a twin?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to hear. Good call on the built tranny and Spec SS Twin.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

no
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u got me worried i am thinking about putting a ACT clutch in my car (NOTE: i am @ 350whp now maybe 400 sometime late next year - yes i am that slow).

i was thinking of the exedy as well, but it is expensive! and IMO waaay too much for my power.

i am actually thinking about a competition clutch stage 3 or 4! cheap and seems to be one hell or a clutch.

any details on the Spec SS Twin?

i am even thinking of an OS giken Twin..
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rolly1818
i am actually thinking about a competition clutch stage 3 or 4! cheap and seems to be one hell or a clutch.
Do it
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Just to give you an idea... I have have not been tuned for meth... I have never armed or filled my meth kit... so.. im roughly making 320whp and the clutch fell apart. I would recommend that you search this forum for issues with the ACT clutch kit.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:18 PM
Account Disabled

We have seen 250whp cars rip clutches apart with 2-3 months of use.

We have used ACT singledisc clutches with 600+ whp making 150 passes at the dragstrip and 18 months of use with no problems.

Its all about how you use it. If it is abused it will break.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

So I have an ACT HDG6 for a little less than 1K miles. It is fine so far. I've been avoiding all types of launches because I just don't want to chance it.

Anyways TTP could you elaborate what will count as abuse for everyone. Obviously launches, 2step or not, is abuse. A noob question but i'm sure everyone would like it to be clear.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
We have seen 250whp cars rip clutches apart with 2-3 months of use.

We have used ACT singledisc clutches with 600+ whp making 150 passes at the dragstrip and 18 months of use with no problems.

Its all about how you use it. If it is abused it will break.
Abused ? what type of abuse? even though im sure the 150 passes were not back 2 back what type of abuse do you mean?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:57 PM
Account Disabled

You have to have an understanding on what a clutch is and what it does in order to be concious enough to understand when you are excessively abusing it.

Letting out the clutch too quickly on a launch puts tremendous strain on the disc cage and springs which can cause it to tear and release the springs from their locators. This is what has happened to the OP.

The damage was done on a launch. The final nail in the coffin may have been in regular driving or highway pulls but the groundwork for destruction was laid in advance from stressing the disc on the launches.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a act sprung 6 puck. I have at least 45 launches on mine. Drives fine! Between launches i let it cool down to keep it from glazing.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

This wanst the only problem I had with this clutch. I also had issues with lock out. Maybe things would have been different had I purchased the TTP Spec ACT. At the time of purchase I had no idea it even existed.

Last edited by WickedWhtMR; Oct 9, 2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 01:18 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mega-z
I have a act sprung 6 puck. I have at least 45 launches on mine. Drives fine! Between launches i let it cool down to keep it from glazing.
Cerametallic discs do not typically glaze, its organic types that do.

Quick Reply: So.. My ACT clutch fell apart!!!!!