Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

A question for Dave Buschur about the Deluxe FMIC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A question for Dave Buschur about the Deluxe FMIC

Every part on my car is a Buschur part (intercooler, pipes, intake, SMC alky kit, etc) and anything else I will be ordering will be ordered from Buschur...but I have a question about the deluxe fmic.

Who the hell designed the thing? The air enters from the rear, and then has to turn 90 degrees? It just seems like there is an air flow efficiency problem there if you have an intercooler designed to have the air enter from the one side and flow directly across, versus air entering from the rear and being forced to make a turn to get to the other side.

The reason I ask is because this spot has given me tons of problems with boost leaks. The coupler begins to slowly creep off of the IC's lip, even with a T-clamp on.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
He recently redesigned his intercoolers so they are no longer like that. Very stupid design IMO.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Every part on my car is a Buschur part (intercooler, pipes, intake, SMC alky kit, etc) and anything else I will be ordering will be ordered from Buschur...but I have a question about the deluxe fmic.

Who the hell designed the thing? The air enters from the rear, and then has to turn 90 degrees? It just seems like there is an air flow efficiency problem there if you have an intercooler designed to have the air enter from the one side and flow directly across, versus air entering from the rear and being forced to make a turn to get to the other side.

The reason I ask is because this spot has given me tons of problems with boost leaks. The coupler begins to slowly creep off of the IC's lip, even with a T-clamp on.
Many intercooler designs are back doors style for several cars.. It does work.. the piping is very short..

However that intercooler is discontinued for a new CORE thats 900+ hp rated.. Its Buschur Street 3.5"...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post7420145

Mike
Old Oct 10, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

AH! Now we're talkin, thanks for the heads up on the intercoolers, if I ever get beyond fed up I know what Ill be getting.

Yes I can see it for the sake of short route piping, but damn its a PITA.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:11 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the deluxe on my car for like 2 years and it never came loose or developed a leak.

I upgraded to the BR Race though, its nice. Love the new 3.5" street core, I'd rock it.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have to old style deluxe as well. always thought it was an odd design, but it works.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to hear the coupling is coming off and I appreciate your business. Can you take a picture of the end of the pipe where it is coming off and send it to my email? davidbuschur@buschurracing.com It may just need a better bead roll on it. It should not come off. How is the front motor mount in your car? Is it original? Is it worn out? If the engine is moving up an excessive amount in the front from the mount getting worn out it could just be pulling the coupling/pipes too much.

Now I want to clear something up. Last year, maybe the year before I did a LOT of FMIC testing. One of the things I tested was the side vs. rear entry because of comments that were made like in this thread. Guess what I found? I found the rear entry worked better, NO difference in AIT's and the car spooled faster with the rear entry, seems as though it works pretty good.

It works so good in fact that if you get a chance to see my personal car, the BadBish you will notice that I have a custom Race FMIC on my own car with the rear entry on it coming from out forward facing turbo kit.............the car has run 9.04 at 159.64 mph on a T3, GT35r based turbo.

Without testing we wouldn't have the answers, luckily we do a lot of testing.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We used the Deluxe IC for a couple of years and loved it. In fact, when we changed to the Race IC, I specifically asked for a rear entry type unit. It is a pain sometimes to get the coupler on the pipe and the IC, but like David says, It DOES work well. Shorter IC pipes is a good thing.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

I'm at a loss for words, so "Thank you Tom."

Keep in mind, Tom's car ran 9.2 at 157 and holds the MPH record on the red at 145 mph.

The rear entry works.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

I run the Buschur RACE fmic and it sure does it's job. I guess my only question is if the Bad Bish and Tom are running a rear entry it must be better so why is it not standard with rear entry?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Dave i was wondering if you have any of those reducer hump couplings that come with the deluxe intercooler, if not do you know where i could find those, because mine has a tear in it.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

The FMIC has to be mounted lower in the car for the rear entry and causes problems with any undertray fitment. The gains were small and all in the low/mid area, I'm guessing from the shorter plumbing mostly. They were measurable though and enough for me to build a custom FMIC with the rear entry for my own car.

Yes, we have couplings, just give us a call at the shop. Also, I'd suggest putting in a front motor mount bushing, we have those too. Helps with all the couplings coming lose/ripping, helps with shifting too.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome, it just seemed from a "basic logic" standpoint that the air having to turn wasnt as efficient as the air coming in from the side and flowing straight across, but I absolutely trusted that there was an underlying reason as to why the rear entry was used versus the side.

I could take a photo one day and surely will send you it. As for the motor mounts, I have tremendous amounts of motor travel especially in 1st or 2nd gear at low speeds if I get off the throttle. They're going to be replaced when I get a new transmission with some quality mounts.

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Sorry to hear the coupling is coming off and I appreciate your business. Can you take a picture of the end of the pipe where it is coming off and send it to my email? davidbuschur@buschurracing.com It may just need a better bead roll on it. It should not come off. How is the front motor mount in your car? Is it original? Is it worn out? If the engine is moving up an excessive amount in the front from the mount getting worn out it could just be pulling the coupling/pipes too much.

Now I want to clear something up. Last year, maybe the year before I did a LOT of FMIC testing. One of the things I tested was the side vs. rear entry because of comments that were made like in this thread. Guess what I found? I found the rear entry worked better, NO difference in AIT's and the car spooled faster with the rear entry, seems as though it works pretty good.

It works so good in fact that if you get a chance to see my personal car, the BadBish you will notice that I have a custom Race FMIC on my own car with the rear entry on it coming from out forward facing turbo kit.............the car has run 9.04 at 159.64 mph on a T3, GT35r based turbo.

Without testing we wouldn't have the answers, luckily we do a lot of testing.