Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Ported exhaust manifold, how much was YOURS ported?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur

Next, porting the exhaust manifold to match the gasket at the head is a HUGE HUGE HUGE mistake, stupid mistake. It does not work and ruins the manifold. The head is NOT as big as the gasket either, hold the gasket up there and look at it. Back in the early 1990's the gasket that was used on the manifolds was the shape of the exhaust port. We use that style gasket to port the head and to port the inlet to the exhaust manifold because that gasket is very close to the actual port size/shape. By porting the manifold inlet to that size it is very closely matched (slightly larger than) the stock exhaust port on the EVO head.
Was waiting for someone to jump all over someone gasket matching the manifold. While it appears to be a huge mistake I would like to see an actual test that proves it hurts power. A flow bench test will not do. It would have to be a one change only test on the dyno.. dyno with stock manifold in place then dyno with the inlet ports gaskets matched. no other porting to cloud results. I believe that step in flow that is created doesnt hinder forward exhaust flow much. But what it does very well is hurt reverse flow very well. It called anti-reversion technology and it does apply to turbo engines.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO it will kill the velocity by over porting to match gasket.. I have nothing to back that up but my opinion..

Mike
Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
IMO it will kill the velocity by over porting to match gasket.. I have nothing to back that up but my opinion..

Mike
Do you have an opinion about anti-reversion technology ? its very popular in F1 circles. knowledge is a good thing. opinions are like azzholes. everybody has one. Sorry to be a wise azz but seriously your opinion may be dead wrong. Due some research on anti-reversion. then ask the same question I am asking. has someone tested the affects of placing an anti-reversion step in the exhaust flow prior to the turbo? yes Burshur goes fast on his parts. but that doesnt mean he wont go faster with some new tricks. there are threads of people removing the burshur ported parts and picking up power with different porting.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Oh boy...........some of you guys are clueless.

The ported/coated manifold from us is $195 with your core.

Next, porting the exhaust manifold to match the gasket at the head is a HUGE HUGE HUGE mistake, stupid mistake. It does not work and ruins the manifold. The head is NOT as big as the gasket either, hold the gasket up there and look at it. Back in the early 1990's the gasket that was used on the manifolds was the shape of the exhaust port. We use that style gasket to port the head and to port the inlet to the exhaust manifold because that gasket is very close to the actual port size/shape. By porting the manifold inlet to that size it is very closely matched (slightly larger than) the stock exhaust port on the EVO head.

The other end at the turbo is also gasket matched to your gasket and turbine housing.

The other pictures/links all look pretty, great for selling parts but after the initial 2-3" of runner is done and matched to the head there is NO gain from doing the rest. The collector is also smoothed into the runner and rounded off and that is where the rest of the gains come from.

9.5's at 145 mph on our ported manifold. You can polish a turd and make it look good, backing up your claims with actual ET and MPH results isn't something that can be faked.

Thanks David for chiming in, this is the info I like to hear. Forgive me if my original post sounded like I "expected" the runners gasket matched. I do know that that would be too big. And I too measured the opening on the head. Curiosity got the best of me.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Do you have an opinion about anti-reversion technology ? its very popular in F1 circles. knowledge is a good thing. opinions are like azzholes. everybody has one. Sorry to be a wise azz but seriously your opinion may be dead wrong. Due some research on anti-reversion. then ask the same question I am asking. has someone tested the affects of placing an anti-reversion step in the exhaust flow prior to the turbo? yes Burshur goes fast on his parts. but that doesnt mean he wont go faster with some new tricks. there are threads of people removing the burshur ported parts and picking up power with different porting.
I used about 90% of my opinion on my evo and so far it appears to be more right than wrong.. I used my opinion on turbo selection not a flow chart, i used my opinion on cams based on specs, i used my opinion on piping diameter for intercooler piping, i could go on and on.. So far my opinion hasnt let me down too much.. 2nd quickest evo 8 in the US.. Not too bad with a 4 year late start..

I dont know much about f1 to be quite honest but if i had to guess their motor isnt much like ours.. But again i dont know much about f1 and the technology they use.. Im just a dumb italian.. LOL

Mike
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My PPI extreme ported manifold, turbo hotside, intake manifold, and TB was done very well and IMHO. I actually think it was done better then Buschur's. But that is my opinion. My engine builder and tuner also agreed. But in defense of DB the proof is in the numbers of the cars that have those parts. For me I spoke to all vendors who ported these pieces and felt that for ME PPI was the better choice. I can't say the same for everyone else.

To the OP the runners are what is the most important and when porting the exhaust manifold so in that sense I do agree with DB.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Oh dear lord... "anti-reversion technology" is not new... it's called exhaust scavenging, and it has been around as long as the Otto cycle. Quite franky, the cars that benefit from this are NA. not Turbo. The high back pressures seen in a turbo manifold, not to mention the short runners usually make this neat little trick not work. Also the gain from it's increase in Eta V would be minimal compared to a little more boost.

If people want to find some more info, go look at Hytech's Honda headers... really nice stepped diameter runners with a significant overlap in the two diameters to act as " anti-reversion technology" ( i laugh as I write this in quotes..
Old Oct 13, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by xRoguex
...way over priced.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

idrinkv8's, well I say sorry to you too because there is more to a part than how pretty you attemp to make it look. Look at the records and the testing. Do these other companies you are comparing the work to have dyno's and dyno sheets to prove what works and what doesn't? How about the track records to also back up the parts? The answer is no.

We've gone to the trouble of flow benching the parts to look for flow even and have done it with the parts bolted to a cylinder head on the bench (which is the only way to check those parts).

Our results speak for themselves. Check my signature.
hard to prove that wrong.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
94awdcoupe, I must have pissed in your cereal or something lately, seems you've been back on me like white on rice.

We have tested it actually, flow bench years ago and dyno. When we did the dyno testing it was on the 2wd Dynojet, so it's been awhile. It killed low end and had no good effect on top end, useless to port it out to the gasket. So as I said, we have tested, it's what we do. I've had a dyno since 1998 of my own for testing and before that I was dyno'ing testing the DSM back as far as about 1994-95. I use to be at a "local" Mustang shop to test things about every 2 weeks, it's why back then I was also the fastest DSM AWD.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

I love you David!!!!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:20 PM
Former Sponsor

i purcahsed a br , exhaust manifold , and if u placed the gasket to the exhast manifold the port would match in size , however the runners inside didnt .....

so quiestion, to see if im right ??
the gasket has to match the mouth of the runners , but not the runners inside completely ??

and yes i bought an original br ported exhaust manifold
Old Oct 14, 2009, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh boy...........some of you guys are clueless.

The other pictures/links all look pretty, great for selling parts but after the initial 2-3" of runner is done and matched to the head there is NO gain from doing the rest. The collector is also smoothed into the runner and rounded off and that is where the rest of the gains come from.

9.5's at 145 mph on our ported manifold. You can polish a turd and make it look good, backing up your claims with actual ET and MPH results isn't something that can be faked.
You couldn't be more right. The BR ported mani has proven itself over and over. Where is MAP's Performance manifolds records. David dont forget a 10.21@133 using the BR stock ported mani with the stock turbo
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks most-wanted. You went 133 mph on the STOCK TURBO? I thought it took a Green to do that?! I didn't realize you had that high of a MPH on the STOCK turbo. Very nice job.

I was thinking about this thread last night. It funny to look back on the last few years when everyone and their brother was selling a header of some sort for the car and a sheetmetal intake manifold with a 3" throttle body jammed on it. First we did a bunch of back-to-back dyno tests with headers vs. ported our ported manifold and then did the 02 housings all back-to-back. Then moved to intakes and did them all back-to-back.

Through OUR dyno testing we proved the factory parts in all cases but a very few were superior when ported. Now..................you have these other companies who popped up to port/coat and sell based on that information. It's how the course of things go. Hell more than one of the companies used OUR testing to reference why THEIR product works.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

I love the last line in the sig

Quick Reply: Buschur Ported exhaust manifold, how much was YOURS ported?