Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2010 Borg Warner Airwerks Turbo catalog

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vr4_rider
EFR8374:

EFR9180:

Quote from Geoff about the tq dropoff so people don't freak out:
is this the internally gated option turbo?ifso,wouldnt that graph be suspect for wastgate creep?i mean,i know these are badass!!,but the graph just doesnt look right.im buying one ,so dont think im trying to down play them,just want to discuss what im thinking..
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Geoff from over on the supra forums

The sierra sierra team spins that turbo wayyy beyond "safe" shaft speeds (as seen from their shaft speed logs) and it is run on a mustang (aka heart breaker dyno) at high altitude in the Nevada mountains. That combined with cams that werent optimal, and a turbo that is oversped - they are actually reaching choke flow - the limit of air flowing through a given hole size. This will make a lot more power and respond very differently at sea level and on a different engine as well as dyno.
Regards,

H. Kurt Betton
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ross.cottrill
is this the internally gated option turbo?ifso,wouldnt that graph be suspect for wastgate creep?i mean,i know these are badass!!,but the graph just doesnt look right.im buying one ,so dont think im trying to down play them,just want to discuss what im thinking..
Sierra Sierra is running an external WG EFR turbo.

I agree that the graph doesn't "look right". Even if we disregard the actual numbers (which are corrected, IIRC), the torque curve looks disappointing, especially for a 2.2L. However, if these charts were from a high-altitude dyno run, then that might explain some of it, along with the alleged "poor cam" timing.

For now I'm assuming that we'll see much better results once the turbos start shipping. I'm especially keen on seeing the 7 series results. But until I see said results, my money will stay in my bank account. Been burned one too many times on vapor ware... (although never from Full-Race). At this point my Evo's got one more major upgrade in it before I go into pure maintenance mode.

l8r)
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Bettonracing
Regards,

H. Kurt Betton
Which turbo, I am thinking you are referencing the 91-80? I can see that it in the 83-74 log but the 91-80 seems to keep going.

aaron

Last edited by JohnBradley; Jan 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The 8374 just looks like the turbo is choked out on compressor flow. Looks about right too as the engine hits peak HP almost immediately then HP slowly drops as friction losses and EBP losses increase as the revs get higher. To have a truly flat torque curve, your VE has to INCREASE with RPM to make up for frictional losses.

The 9180 shows a pretty reasonable torque curve and IMO shows that it's not really being choked by the exhaust side at all.

Geoff, can we get turbine exducer diameters on these turbochargers? I'm just interested in comparing flow between Garrett and the EFR turbochargers and it seems like comparing based on exducer might be the more relevent method. The GT series flows very well for a given inducer, but I think it has more to do with the high trim of the turbine then anything else.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

after seeing these things in person at PRI, I am losing sleep waiting for the T4 divided EFR's to come out. I am in the same boat as Aaron though. I need to sell off my kit, make love to some rich old ladies to get this done. Not like that's gonna stop me. haha.

I am really leaning towards the 8374 personally on my 2.0L, with possiblities of going to a 2.2L down the road. Personally, I thought the 7670 was the ticket, but I would rather get the power with less boost and keep temps down when rolling around the track 3-5 times each time.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
can we make a new EFR turbo 2011 thread? put all EFR info there?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
The 8374 just looks like the turbo is choked out on compressor flow. Looks about right too as the engine hits peak HP almost immediately then HP slowly drops as friction losses and EBP losses increase as the revs get higher. To have a truly flat torque curve, your VE has to INCREASE with RPM to make up for frictional losses.

The 9180 shows a pretty reasonable torque curve and IMO shows that it's not really being choked by the exhaust side at all.

Geoff, can we get turbine exducer diameters on these turbochargers? I'm just interested in comparing flow between Garrett and the EFR turbochargers and it seems like comparing based on exducer might be the more relevent method. The GT series flows very well for a given inducer, but I think it has more to do with the high trim of the turbine then anything else.
no i think theres something seriously wrong with that EFR8374 graph. we will know once we get it tested on another evo. theres no way that turbos gonna spool the same as that huge 9180.

i dont think much tuning time was used on the EFR8374 and they focused all their time on the 9180. the 9180 tune looks nuts for being a mustang dyno and that spool is pretty damn good!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Which turbo, I am thinking you are referencing the 91-80? I can see that it in the 88-75 log but the 91-80 seems to keep going.

Aaron
Presumably the most significant impact would be on the 83-74 (steep torque drop off), but most of the effects still apply to the 91-80, to some lesser degree.

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:33 AM

Hi everybody ! =)
I'm choosing a turbo for my evo 9. Guys, Is it possible to have 500 hp on efr 6758(twinscoll + 2 external westgates) & also to have spool, better than stock ?
Do anybody use that turbo?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you would get the 500 hp. It would be pretty tough to do. The 7064 would be better suited for that. I don't have one though! Just looking at the compressor maps.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Talonboost
I don't think you would get the 500 hp. It would be pretty tough to do. The 7064 would be better suited for that. I don't have one though! Just looking at the compressor maps.
Ok, thanks. As i know 6758 don't have turbine housing without wesgate?
So i need 7064 =)
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:11 AM

Loads of good info in the thread.

Not sure if anyone has asked but what is the spool difference in the s366 T3 borg warner vs the s400sx 67mm 1.10 divided T4 on a 2l evo 8.

My old s366 spooled at around 5500rpm, looking to get the s400 67mm turbo for that 8-900 hp goal.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:17 AM

I'm going to install EFR6758 0,64 a/r to my Evo 9 2,0L. The goal is 400whp with spool, better or at least equal than stock. But the turbo is not twin-scroll. Did anybody have the experience with such config? Did anybody see dyno results? Do you have any comments or suggestion?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by it_manager
I'm going to install EFR6758 0,64 a/r to my Evo 9 2,0L. The goal is 400whp with spool, better or at least equal than stock. But the turbo is not twin-scroll. Did anybody have the experience with such config? Did anybody see dyno results? Do you have any comments or suggestion?
Closest I know of is testing done by Perrin on the EFR 7163 with .64 a/r single scroll turbine housing.
Look at post #2387 here and follow the link in it to the perrin test and tune:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post10659952

In the Perrin test and tune there are some comparisons to other tests they did with a 6758, with I don't know what a/r turbine housing, and some other turbos. The comparisons you see in this Perrin thread, you could probably find the article they did for each one originally on the Perrin site.

Here is a link directly to the perrin 7163 article:

http://blog.perrinperformance.com/bo...test-and-tune/

Last edited by Talonboost; Mar 25, 2013 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 Borg Warner Airwerks Turbo catalog