Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

JohnBradley's 2.2 long rod build

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^lol, thank you for that story and all the others!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
exActly. We have had one full boost 2.3 on the dyno that made 722whp at 33psi and was out of fuel. I think this one should be able to do all of that
With bigger cams, a fully ported head, a newer design intake manifold, and about twice the fuel capacity as my car, it better!

I was at the shop yesterday and saw your setup in person. I'm jealous!

Make sure you are around when the fellas open the 'tip' I left for the shop.

John-
Old Oct 17, 2009, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyTSi
With bigger cams, a fully ported head, a newer design intake manifold, and about twice the fuel capacity as my car, it better!

I was at the shop yesterday and saw your setup in person. I'm jealous!

Make sure you are around when the fellas open the 'tip' I left for the shop.

John-
Yours will be pretty interesting in its own right. Jake is planning a similar build now as yours. Luke has talked about one in the past for a really big turbo. I think MIVEC 2.4s are going to be really pretty mean as they become more common.

I will check out the tip as well
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

this is going to be a weapon for sure, looks great Aaron!

How is the drivability of the 2.2, and how many companies make off the shelf rods and pistons to suit? Did you have to do any clearancing of the block with the 94mm crank and alloy rods?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JC evo1
this is going to be a weapon for sure, looks great Aaron!

How is the drivability of the 2.2, and how many companies make off the shelf rods and pistons to suit? Did you have to do any clearancing of the block with the 94mm crank and alloy rods?
Right now the pistons are custom and the rods are off the shelf. If we had access to a steady supply of 153mm rods the 2.3 piston would be off the shelf. With all alloy rod motors some clearancing is required and this one definitely saw some grinder action. The 94mm crank made it easier, but it still needed some help.

The other 2.2 we have running right now is very drivable. Its torquey, spools quickly, and revs enthusiastically. Of course its hard for me to say what I think about that one since I dont drive it everyday and it has/had a smaller turbo on it at the time. When this one is in the car and broke in I will definitely be able to give you some good feedback about driving.

Lucas said it felt like a 2.3 to him almost (the other car) but one that would pull to 9300 if you need it to. We have found that the higher compression motors are inherently more torquey anyway and especially out of boost. Lucas' 11:1 motor does not know the meaning of the word lug, it will pull in 5th from low rpm without hesistation. The extra displacement should make it more interesting
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Right now the pistons are custom and the rods are off the shelf. If we had access to a steady supply of 153mm rods the 2.3 piston would be off the shelf. With all alloy rod motors some clearancing is required and this one definitely saw some grinder action. The 94mm crank made it easier, but it still needed some help.

The other 2.2 we have running right now is very drivable. Its torquey, spools quickly, and revs enthusiastically. Of course its hard for me to say what I think about that one since I dont drive it everyday and it has/had a smaller turbo on it at the time. When this one is in the car and broke in I will definitely be able to give you some good feedback about driving.

Lucas said it felt like a 2.3 to him almost (the other car) but one that would pull to 9300 if you need it to. We have found that the higher compression motors are inherently more torquey anyway and especially out of boost. Lucas' 11:1 motor does not know the meaning of the word lug, it will pull in 5th from low rpm without hesistation. The extra displacement should make it more interesting
Oh man, you guys continue to keep my eyes glued to your threads, Keep up the awesome work
Old Oct 18, 2009, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Nice looking build
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RAbishi
Nice looking build
Thanks

Some more of the head porting pictures:

Just getting started on this one

Finished bowl work and smoothed intake runner

After this got cleaned up, off it went to the machine shop to get tanked, valve seats cleaned up, and make sure there wasnt any aluminum dust left in anything. Kinda urkks me though that I took a ton of pictures when I started this build and I cant find them anymore. I must have gotten impatient and taken them off my photobucket oh well.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:19 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, enter sidebar here:

What is the opinion on shortened valve guides?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

yeah im keen to try a 2.2 build next, though i dont want to kill the gears with too much torque. You guys with the newer evo's are lucky to have such a strong tranny.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
OK, enter sidebar here:

What is the opinion on shortened valve guides?
I think cutting them down to the floor is okay, but on a street car I like to keep them long enough for proper valve support. I dont want my guides going away before the rest of the motor

I have seen them both ways, radically reduced and left full length and foiled. I really dont have any back to back testing on that one though to say one hurts or one helps. The valveguides in this head ended up a little reduced from the stock profile though.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JC evo1
yeah im keen to try a 2.2 build next, though i dont want to kill the gears with too much torque. You guys with the newer evo's are lucky to have such a strong tranny.
We have DSMs here though so I know exactly what you are talking about. Switch to as much as the Evo3 internals as you can (3-4th at least), use a good clutch, but as I am sure you already know if 4th is gonna go it will.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

I think cutting them down to the floor is okay, but on a street car I like to keep them long enough for proper valve support. I dont want my guides going away before the rest of the motor

I have seen them both ways, radically reduced and left full length and foiled. I really dont have any back to back testing on that one though to say one hurts or one helps. The valveguides in this head ended up a little reduced from the stock profile though.

I tool a measurement almost a year ago on what the real loss would be if the valve guides were cut down, and it was something like only a touch over 0.10", it wasn't much at all over the total length of the valve guide. It didn't really seem to take much off mostly because of the angle of the runner vs. the protrusion, it mostly just cut the end of the guide at an angle.

And for your earlier question, I have spent too much time just poking around GSC and chatting with Greg. I am mostly curious because of my Mechanical Engineering profession, always wanting to know the difference between how vs. why things work the way they do. It usually leads me into building my own stuff, and modifying the heck out of parts that generally nobody thinks of even playing with.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I too saw this in person... errr through some plastic and it looks top notch, just like the autogeeks that are putting it together. Good luck with everything Aaron
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Aaron, this is going to be sick! We will be discussing some builds for me here in a few months. I'm looking at going GSC 2.2 long rod. Also thank you for getting my car back to me pretty quick

Quick Reply: JohnBradley's 2.2 long rod build