Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

JohnBradley's 2.2 long rod build

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Sounds like you've got something planned down there. New cams + T4 TS = epic build?

Wondering if you warned your Father or not before letting him go wot hehe..
I had taken him for rides in at 680 and he was pretty impressed. He drives it at 30-31psi which is around 710-725whp right now. I am going to try some slightly different GSC grinds and see what we get. The T4 T/S is looking like it will just go to my 2G Auto Drag car instead.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
My preferred method is to trust the knock sensor and knock count. I know there are times where it doesnt want to track so I have to get creative. I only push my own stuff this hard to be able to learn what is going on. I think in this case my issue is based on valvetrain noise and the exhaust dump since it doesnt do this on the street.

Like Tom pointed out, racegas and detcans go a long way to making sure I know whats happening one way or another. Almost all my experience of what is safe and not safe is based on a completely stock motor running high boost so I compare logs from the 574 stuff to the 648, compare the timing, test, etc. I do not tune by EGT, I have never found it to be useful in anything other than a diesel.
Thanks for that clarification. One of the first things I did when I bought my 1g was put a new knock sensor in it, then an ecu+ which is a good logger. I've been logging knock sensor voltage right from the sensor, and knock sum from the stock ecu, ever since. I see a good sensible relationship between them, usually. The ecu+ logs the sensor voltage at 25 samples per second which is fast enough to catch the voltage spikes that start a knock sum event. Usually these voltage spikes are very short duration, maybe only 1 or 2 samples on the logger. So if the logger was any slower I might not even know those spikes were there.
The knock sum steps up right after the voltage spike, then the knock sum comes back down in steps, not real fast, which is by design so it's ok. I'm still at a low power level though, so, just kind of looking ahead to what might happen when all hell gets loose at high power levels.
I guess some people think the 1g knock sensor doesn't even work. I think they work great when they are reasonably new. You just need accurate measurement on them because their output is low. A knock spike is only about 1 volt. Cruise noise level on mine (stock pistons, original engine w about 140,000 miles) is about 0.4 volts.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

I am trying to figure out (been trying for awhile actually) how to boost the logging rate so I am getting a clearer picture of what is going on. Really I am about 7 samples a second or something mind numbingly slow. I have been thinking about a standalone system for a few reasons, one being sampling rate won't be terrifically decreased like I am facing now.

2G auto might get shelved, have some new thoughts on my Evo again.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PRO EFI FTW

Mikey
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

I was thinking Motec, but the Pro EFI would do it to. I have 4 toys right now, adding the 2G doesnt seem to be practical since I have too much maintenance and not enough time....not too mention it costs to keep them all running.

To do List

Make the Evo the car it should be (Magnus Dry sump, revise pistons, engine management, cams, cage, etc.)
Turbo the Chevelle (just because)
Keep both turbo quads running and the drag quad breaking records
Maintain all of these
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Most recent trip to the dyno with the new Magnaflow 3.5" muffler on the car-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2-dA6rEBsc
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Most recent trip to the dyno with the new Magnaflow 3.5" muffler on the car-

I wonder who's idea that was...

Last edited by wshihdnevo; Feb 16, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Aaron, is that still the 4" core or the new ETS core?

SO CLOSE to 800whp

Mikey

*edit, looks like a 5"

Last edited by BLKCarbonEVO; Feb 16, 2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:46 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Damn Aaron, isn't your car bonkers enough?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Damn Aaron, isn't your car bonkers enough?
Nope not yet.

Gonna start making my pulls in 4th gear now though. Dave is correct on how DJs can be, I need to slow the pull down so it will get 4th or more load control.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
have you ever tried running it on dyno with no exhaust at all? im sure you'd get the 800+ then easy. 30whp loss just from a different muffler...

how much sound difference was the new vs old? did it make it a lot quieter? i bet my exhaust system is restrictive as hell also.. since i have a cobb they are really quiet.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

CANT beat product testing when you have a dyno lol! good stuff
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
have you ever tried running it on dyno with no exhaust at all? im sure you'd get the 800+ then easy. 30whp loss just from a different muffler...

how much sound difference was the new vs old? did it make it a lot quieter? i bet my exhaust system is restrictive as hell also.. since i have a cobb they are really quiet.
I have the same muffler as Aaron and its a ton quieter than the Aero turbine muffler that used to be on our cars. I imagine that his is a lot louder with the turbo he is running. Vibrant makes a 3.5" straight through resonator that I am sure would/could help even more, but isnt really neccessary.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

The next phase will be no exhaust and then install the muffler and only rely on the 3.5 and the boost dump (basically still open) to see if there is any difference.

Aaron
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You gonna do the ER sneaky boost acticated dump, or just an electronic cut out Aaron?

Quick Reply: JohnBradley's 2.2 long rod build