Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

p0335 issue

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009 | 10:21 AM

p0335 issue

so i just rebuilt my motor and put it in the other day and when i went to fire it up it threw a p0335 so i replaced the sensor tried it again and the same thing p0335 and no start. i replaced the battery with a new one and the same result nothing with a code. help is greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 16, 2009 | 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

timing marks all line up? did you have the cam sensor reluctor off the exhaust cam?
Old Oct 16, 2009 | 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitemonster
so i just rebuilt my motor and put it in the other day and when i went to fire it up it threw a p0335 so i replaced the sensor tried it again and the same thing p0335 and no start. i replaced the battery with a new one and the same result nothing with a code. help is greatly appreciated.
Crank sensor definitely will stop the motor from starting. So the car is saying it knows its turning over with the cam sensor but no pulse signal from the crank sensor.

If you got a digital multimeter you can ohm the sensor (try all 3 combinations of prongs) if they all ohm to open there is a problem. I can't remember what the sensor ohms to but it will only be for 1 combination of prongs and at least not open wire.

If you got ohms then the sensor is good and either the trigger disk isn't triggering the sensor, really unlikely, or there is a wiring problem to the ecu.
Old Oct 16, 2009 | 12:14 PM

okay i ohmed it out two were open and one measured 6 ohms so that is a good thing right? now here is another question on the sensor plug there are three wires positive, negative, and a signal wire. now when i originally tested voltage i went to the chassis ground and not to the sensor ground i got 12 volts on the positive and 5 volts to the signal wire. when i tested it to the negitive wire on the sensor itself i didnt get anything on the positive or the signal. is this normal or could this be the problem?
Old Oct 16, 2009 | 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

okay i ohmed it out two were open and one measured 6 ohms so that is a good thing right? now here is another question on the sensor plug there are three wires positive, negative, and a signal wire. now when i originally tested voltage i went to the chassis ground and not to the sensor ground i got 12 volts on the positive and 5 volts to the signal wire. when i tested it to the negitive wire on the sensor itself i didnt get anything on the positive or the signal. is this normal or could this be the problem?
Yep ohms is good means the electro magnet is good.

Pretty sure thats normal the hall effect sensors are pretty low voltage anyways. These sensors measure differences in magnetism in this case provided by the positive volt lead in and ground into a electro magnet and the change provided by the trigger disc.

If you got a pair of gator clamps you can ground the signal wire and trace it back to the ecu harness and see if she ohms out at 0. This will let you know if the signal is getting through at least.

Last edited by RoadSpike; Oct 16, 2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2009 | 04:29 PM

ok but if there is 12 volts and 5 volts from the power and signal wire to the chassis ground but no voltage from the power and signal to the sensor negative doesnt that mean that circuit isnt being completed causing it to malfunction? if i am way off base please let me know **** even if i am right what am i supposed to do?
Old Oct 16, 2009 | 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

ok but if there is 12 volts and 5 volts from the power and signal wire to the chassis ground but no voltage from the power and signal to the sensor negative doesnt that mean that circuit isnt being completed causing it to malfunction? if i am way off base please let me know **** even if i am right what am i supposed to do?
I'm not sure where you're getting the 4 wires to be honest the crank sensor only has 3 power, ground, signal.

You really need a scope and some way to run metal across the sensor to see the voltage spikes. Here's a picture of what i'm talking about.

Old Oct 16, 2009 | 06:17 PM

ok sorry for the misunderstanding, basically this is whats going on... on the sensor plug if i put a meter to the pos. and the neg. there is 0 volts. the same goes for the signal wire to the neg. 0 volts. now if i take the pos. and signal wires to another grounding source such as the neg terminal on the battery i get 12 volts pos and 5 volts signal. does that make more sense? thats why im asking if the crank sensor circuit is being completed and could this possibly be my issue? sorry so confusing.
Old Oct 17, 2009 | 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Definitely sounds like the grounding wire (pin 40) on the ecu isn't grounded. Try ohming the ground to the negetive battery terminal it should ohm to 2ohms or less if not its open. Likely scenarios at this point are faulty wiring, unplugged ecu harness.

CIRCUIT OPERATION
• The crankshaft position sensor power is supplied from the MFI relay (terminal No. 4).
• Terminal No. 1 of the crankshaft position sensor is grounded with ECM (terminal No. 40).
• A 5-volt voltage is applied on the crankshaft position sensor output terminal (terminal No. 2) from the ECM (terminal No. 89). The crankshaft position sensor generates a pulse signal when the output terminal is opened and grounded.

For reference the sensor wire colors are:
Brown-Green (Pin 89 on the ecu) (signal wire)
Black (pin 40 on the ecu) (ground wire)
Red-Yellow (12 volt source from MFI relay)

Last edited by RoadSpike; Oct 17, 2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2009 | 10:18 AM

ok thanks a lot ill go ohm it right now and see what i get.
Old Oct 17, 2009 | 11:15 AM

okay it measured open line when i ohmed it out meaning the two wired are in no way tied together correct? and i tested for continuity and they didn't ring out. is this normal?
Old Oct 17, 2009 | 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

okay it measured open line when i ohmed it out meaning the two wired are in no way tied together correct? and i tested for continuity and they didn't ring out. is this normal?
two wires? You just measured the plug and the battery right, and i mean the plug that plugs into the sensor not the sensor itself.
Old Oct 17, 2009 | 01:29 PM

yes, i measured the black wire on the cas (ecu side) to the neg terminal on the battery and it read 0.L so with that in mind i am searching alldata to find the corisponding pin at the ecu i know you said pin 40 but i dont know which one that is once i find it ill test for continuity from the pin to the plug. is this the right course?
Old Oct 17, 2009 | 01:40 PM

okay i figured out that the ground goes to connector c-119 the third one over if you are looking at the glove box. how are they numbered from there?
Old Oct 17, 2009 | 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/e...-ecuwiring.htm

You could have googled that one

Quick Reply: p0335 issue