Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer case locking up?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case locking up?

So it was raining and I had the urge to launch a on a bridge. By doing so, I experienced a bit of wheel hop, which I usually avoid at all costs. I didn't think much of it until I pulled into a parking lot and turned my wheel hard to pull into a parking space. The car almost didn't even want to move, and with my wheel turned all the way to the right or left, my rear tires would skid and it is resistant to move- much like as if I had a welded diff.

What I don't understand is it doesn't happen 100% of the time, just most of the time now.

What exactly could be causing this?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 07:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by drewdq
So it was raining and I had the urge to launch a on a bridge. By doing so, I experienced a bit of wheel hop, which I usually avoid at all costs. I didn't think much of it until I pulled into a parking lot and turned my wheel hard to pull into a parking space. The car almost didn't even want to move, and with my wheel turned all the way to the right or left, my rear tires would skid and it is resistant to move- much like as if I had a welded diff.

What I don't understand is it doesn't happen 100% of the time, just most of the time now.

You broke the transfercase differential. Congrats.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Score, I thought so. Safe to drive temporarily?

Last edited by drewdq; Oct 16, 2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

You probably risk it seizing at any time. Whatever broke has the potential to get lodged in some of the numerous moving parts in the TC. It could happen when you're going 70.

It might also drive okay for a while. It is a risk though for sure.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:08 PM
Account Disabled

I would remove it immediately. Tow it.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah 70 is bad...I unfortunately found out how that works last week. The car started making a whining noise, loader than usual, and all of the sudden I felt a slight jerk so I pulled on the the next exit. While on the exit it sounded like a bomb went off under my rear end. I babied it over to a gas station, towed it home. When moving I could here the rear end just crunching around, so not looking any deeper, I got a rear diff with only 5k miles and thought I was good. Finished last night, took it about 20 feet and the rear diff felt like it was dragging, similar stuff. So TC has now got ot get replaced...lucky me!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drewdq

Costly launch, sorry for the misfortune...you should definitely give John@Sheptrans a ring
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:15 AM

SOrry about the bad news... THose are not cheap at all by any means...
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

do you launch the car often?? Or was this pretty much a one time thing?? The T-cases in the VIII's are weak, I would sugest a rebuild, like I am doing, you could get a used one for about $900 but with thousands of miles on it or spend a few hundred dollars more and have better NEW T-case!!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

I actually just got the car about 3k miles ago. I personally have not launched the car, but that is not to say that the person previous didn't. The t/c did appear to be leaking upon inspection last night and I would imagine that is the culprit. from everything I am reading, I don't really feel comfortable with a used t/c. I am going to call around on Monday for rebuild prices. Buschur will more than likely get the business because they are only 2 hours away.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

well Shep seems to be just as far but what ever works for you, where does it seem to be leaking from??