Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

White smoke from my muffler....please QUICK HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question White smoke from my muffler....please QUICK HELP!!

Hey guys, My 05 Evo 8 is smoking white smoke from the muffler when I turn it on everyday in the morning...this doesn't happen while driving though?!?

I also noticed that my oil is being sucked into thin air!!! Is my turbo malfunctioning? I didn't even drive it 1000 kilos, and I noticed my oil is way bellow average level...

Whats going on with my baby?

Would a turbo repair kit solve my problem?

Thanks guys, hope I get a quick reply...cheers
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Is it built ? Is it holding the Boost ?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:47 AM

Its holding boost no problem...and no my engine is complete stock...as well as my turbo...
Old Oct 18, 2009, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

I read about this somewhere because I once thought I had this problem. Luckily I didn't, but it sounds like you do. Your turbo might be going bad. The white smoke could be coolant, but because you're losing a lot of oil it's most likely the oil going through the turbo. But now if I think about it I'm not really sure because if it's oil the smoke should be black. So it has to be coolant. Could be a bad seal, if you're lucky it's a bad seal and not the turbo. I'm sure if you google it you'll find something.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 06:07 AM

Hmmm......I never thought of it in that way..........I guess that is a big possibility...I will check my radiator to see if there are any leaks, I assume by coolant your refering to the radiator...right?

Thanks bro...I really hope that is the case, cause I doubt i'll pass emissions with the way it is now...

I'll google and see what I can find, and I hope I hear other opinions here too....cheers
Old Oct 18, 2009, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

headgasket
Old Oct 18, 2009, 06:35 AM

Would a bad headgasket result in that much smoke from the muffler??

I will check on that too anyways...thanks for the feedback
Old Oct 18, 2009, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a blown headgasket before, and i had no smoke at all coming from the exhaust. With a blown head gasket, he will have over heating problems, and the coolant will be sucked dry. And he would be able to look at his block and see where the gasket is blown at also. Black stuff will be in the area it blew from.
On another level, is your car under warranty? If so, call the dealership and ask them, and hopefully its something that is covered. Start easy first
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:03 AM

Nahh........its not under warranty....however the last time I changed my oil.......It was smoking white from the muffler for quite a while...I can't remember how long, but I was driving it and could notice smoke in my mirror...

That whent away a few day later, however every time I start the car, I always see a big puff of white smoke coming out from the muffler...

maybe that would give you guys some more info
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:00 AM

Loosing oil and white smoke, check you coolant is it still green and transparent or is it milky, is the oil that’s left clean or milky if the water is getting in the oil or oil in the water the texture will change. White smoke is water if it’s more than just a puff it’s bad. Head gasket, turbo seal it’s something that should be identified before you put to many more km on that car
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:04 AM
Account Disabled

Headgasket or turbo seal. Drain your oil and see if it's milky like stated. Keep an eye on your coolant level. My guess is your headgasket is leaking. I had this happen to me also. The smoke will start getting worse and worse.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it smell sweet or kinda like syrup? If it does thats coolant.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

my car has been losing coolant as well!! i noticed a small drip underneath the radiator but i doubt that would cause the white smoke i have. i am catless which probably doesnt help at all. if you have a blown head gasket wouldnt the car throw an check engine light?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 12:49 PM

ALRIGHT GUYS!!!

Much appreciation for all the feedback....I just came back from my mechanic, he told me I have one or two problems, those being:

1) A bad headgasket
2) Worn out valve seals

My mechanic told me its 100% not my turbo...which is quite a relief...he's gonna open up my motor and check both the valve seals and the headgasket and will replace both or one of them...

Thansk alot guys...much love
Old Oct 20, 2009, 01:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A few weeks ago I had white smoke from my exhaust, it ended up being a blown head gasket because my evo overheated. I now have a built engine:P
did you overheat before the white smoke?

Quick Reply: White smoke from my muffler....please QUICK HELP!!