Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

exedy twin plate clutch judder

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exedy twin plate clutch judder

I have a new exedy twin plate clutch on my 05 8 and after around 500mi it started to judder just a bit if I started slowly. I put it up for a week until my mechanic had a chance to look at it, I took it out to him and smooth as glass no jumping or shuddering. The next day I took it out to the mountains with my wife to drop the kid of a day camp. One mile on a gravel road and several miles of spirited driving and now I can’t engage the clutch without shaking the bolts out of the car.
Any Ideas?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:55 PM

Bump any one?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Location: I'm Canadian living and working in Dubai/Kuwait/Bahrain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what do you mean by shaking the bolts out of the car?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 04:13 PM

The car shudders and the clutch grinds, kinda like it's being shaken by a 40' tall child
Old Oct 21, 2009, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The bucking at low rpm's?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
....Jebus, that sounds weird, and you think it's clutch related? Everything else is aligned? Are you missing any supports brackets?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

after 500 miles, it should be sufficiently broke in. Unless a spring came lose on one of the discs allowing for excessive travel between the hub that mates to the input shaft and the actual disc friction material, no idea. These clutches have exceptional streetability and compared to others have very little to no judder.

I experienced something similar, but this was after several 1,000's of miles and the hubs on both discs were sloppy loose allowing for a lot of motion that shouldn't have been there, hence the judder. It's going to be hard to rule out the clutch without taking it out. What a pita.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Bump... I have been having a shuddering issue also. My Exedy Twin HD now has over 1,000 miles and I have been experiencing occasional judder when engaging in 1st gear and downshifting w/o rev matching. The otherday I was out driving the car hard for one of the first times since clutch install. After a few pulls I tried to downshift into a high RMP for the 1st time without rev matching and wow wut a mistake that was. I got such a violent shutter I thought my tranny was guna fall out. ouch lesson learned. Didn't rev match cuz I was engine breaking to slow down and come to a stop. I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the clutch fluid restirctor pill I had removed but I shocked the driveline pretty hard. not sure what to do at this point because I am used to driving the clutch now and I engage it consistantly the same but only get the shutter randomly when it wants to. If I tried I can get it to judder scary hard. Hoping it will go away on it own sooner than later.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 05:28 PM

Way to bump the old... good to know that someone else has this problem. Most of my issue resolved itself after the rock popped out from the drivetrain, but every time i down shift into first and sometimes into second I will get wicked shake. It dosent happen in any other gear I can jam into third at 100 no probs but second and first are shaky.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hayden81
Way to bump the old... good to know that someone else has this problem. Most of my issue resolved itself after the rock popped out from the drivetrain, but every time i down shift into first and sometimes into second I will get wicked shake. It dosent happen in any other gear I can jam into third at 100 no probs but second and first are shaky.

A rock in your drivetrain? This kinda scares me. Where exactly was is? Also do you think it was just an extended break in period? did it get better over time after a few thousand miles?
Old Dec 22, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I only noticeed that if Im stopped and rev my engine to 2k rpms I feel a vibration. Clutch works good though. If im crusing at 2k rpm I can also slightly feel it. I try not to cruise at that low of an rpm though.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:23 PM

I have no Idea where it was, I was driving down a gravel road, then all bad a few weeks later clunk rattle rattle and almost all better. I just don't engine brake anymore.