Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Headstuds question...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headstuds question...

What was the highest psi you guys ran before putting headstuds? Right now I'm boosting 22 psi on stock block and stock turbo (with intake,tbe,walbro,flash tune) but want to boost higher if it brings gains...would i see increases if I just added headstuds and turned the boost up? Just want to know if headstuds would be a good choice at this point besides the reason of "extra insurance".

basically, what would be the highest safest boost on stock block, stock turbo, and stock injectors and adding headstuds

All input is appreciated, and yes I did search and it didnt help in this case.

Last edited by LakerRaider; Oct 19, 2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Stock block? I have run 33+ which is above where my gauge read at the time and where the 3 bar stopped recording. That was on a Green, on my 35R I have gone to 32psi once and 30psi many times. How I tune is how I get away with it though.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

_/
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

I am running 32psi on an FP Red with the stock head bolts, and I have run up to 34-35psi without issue. This is tuned with E-85 and I log the car regularly.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

wow thats really high, i hear of people getting headlift at much lower psi on stock studs, maybe you have some arp in there and you dont know haha
Old Oct 19, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LakerRaider
What was the highest psi you guys ran before putting headstuds? Right now I'm boosting 22 psi on stock block and stock turbo (with intake,tbe,walbro,flash tune) but want to boost higher if it brings gains...would i see increases if I just added headstuds and turned the boost up? Just want to know if headstuds would be a good choice at this point besides the reason of "extra insurance".

All input is appreciated, and yes I did search and it didnt help in this case.
wow thats really high, i hear of people getting headlift at much lower psi on stock studs, maybe you have some arp in there and you dont know haha
Not to be an ***, but if you sort of know the answer, why even ask... You answered your own question.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilvrEvoIX
Not to be an ***, but if you sort of know the answer, why even ask... You answered your own question.
u werent being an *** u were being kinda lazy to read my question. me knowing what headlift is doesnt tell me whether or not turning my boost up and getting headstuds is best for me right now. maybe you can tell me why some people run 30+psi of boost on stuck studs and others get headlift at 24 psi on stock studs
Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Timing
Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you are playing a game of russian roulette with your motor. If you turn the boost up past the stock level, why not just replace the studs to be safe? They cost what, 120 on lancershop on sale, you can find them for cheaper some places. Ask yourself now 120 now or 10 times that later? Are you okay at 24 psi, probably, 28 maybe, 30 you should put it high on your list.

I don't mean to offend, but you know what headlift is, you know the general number is right around 30 for needing them, so why take the chance? You are fine at 22, any more, why not save yourself the trouble down the line?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Headgasket issues are usually a result of detonation due to a poor tune, too much timing, bad gas, etc. I find no need to replace the stock headbolts with ARPs until I need to replace the headgasket or take the head of for other reasons. And, I'm not willing to possibly compromise a good seal by doing the 1x1 method, even though it has worked for many.

Like I mentioned, I'm running E-85 (more forgiving as far as knock) and I monitor/re-tune the car regularly.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ I agree. On average about 40% of the people that do 1x1 method have problems with a bad seal.

Those for it claim it must have been a procedural error. Those against it say do it right are don't do it at all. Some even say the standard ARP's aren't any better than the stock hardware.

Personally... I really don't see how 30psi could lift a head without detonation.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

well i ordered the headstuds from maperformance so im waiting for them in the mail. i just keep hearing of ppl getting headlift 24-25, and some say they are ok at 30-31 which is a huge difference so it raised some questions to me.

and about installation im not gonna do it, but ill ask whoever will be what their method is because it does seem like its half and half on the 1x1 or remove the head
Old Oct 20, 2009, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

I was asking the same question and after through some informative posts decided not to get the headstuds. If you change them then you need to replace the headgasket the 1x1 method is not the correct way. It truely depends on your goal... the only time I would do it if I were building my motor.

As many people have already stated, it's too much timing or not enough octane (which causes detonation) will most likely cause the head to lift. High PSI doesn't lift heads. If you make more power (~600 + torque) than the stock block can handle, then you'll probably fold a rod before lifting the head.

Last edited by Taimur; Oct 20, 2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Taimur
If you make more power (~600 + torque) than the stock block can handle, then you'll probably fold a rod before lifting the head.
QFT. seen it happen a bunch of times.