Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BR presents the new FP BLACK HTA82!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009 | 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, as of right now we have a few turbos that still aren't spoken for that can be delivered in 2 weeks.
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

So for someone that wants to do road/track racing for fun (not professionally). Would you recommend the Green/Red or Black? Based on your initial results, I'm almost sure the question would be Green or Black?
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
BTW, as of right now we have a few turbos that still aren't spoken for that can be delivered in 2 weeks.
Interesting.
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
....the bearing housing is not the same.
I was sure that both the VIII and IX turbos shared the same CHRA. I was under the impression that given a 10.5 turbine housing, the only difference between the VIII and IX turbos would be the different compressor housings and compressor backplates.

I recall that when the original FP Green turbos were released that FP would build Greens from either VIII or IX cores. Later on however, their policy changed, and they would only build Greens from IX cores.

Last edited by sparky; Oct 20, 2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

damn.. i just bought a red too....lol. this turbo is pretty sick
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 08:04 PM
Account Disabled

Now if they can only convert it to DBB.
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
The black will outperform the red regardless of fuel type, the low end losses are barely noticeable. This turbo is money.
But as you move to lower octane fuel, the power of each becomes closer. On 91 what do you think the differences between a red and black would be?

The black looks good though... I must say I'd be tempted to swap it for my hta3582 ams kit. Is this thing surging badly or is that a non-issue? What about on a stroker?
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by o-townFLA
Impressive...! now I have to figure out if it'll be road course worthy...

Thank you Dave for the data and R&D...
do it and let us know what u think
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, great news David. And many THANKS to Robert at FP for always bringing out the greatest turbos.... Can't wait to see pics...
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 09:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by crcain
But as you move to lower octane fuel, the power of each becomes closer. On 91 what do you think the differences between a red and black would be??
fwiw, moving from a grn to a red on 91 octane was worth ~40 DJ whp for me.
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for testing the new FP Black DB & the BR crew!! Some good info here...glad to see the the FP Black is a reality now...Looking forward to more resting on different setups...Also thanks FP for the new turbo...
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by StreetThisEvo
I've put about 500 miles on this turbo so far and am very impressed! I have owned/tested/raced, etc..the FP Green, 80mm Red, and now the Black. All three I have enjoyed and can say they all have their perks based on how far you want to take your setup. Props go out to Robert and FP for designing such great products for the Evo community to enjoy. I never in a million years thought my car would make more than 500 whp on BR's mustang dyno without going to a T3 setup, etc.

Compaired to the Red I wasn't really able to tell a difference in spool. Both come into boost at about the same point but man does the Black hit hard and pulls like a train up top. 500+ ft/lbs of torque on the street is just silly.

On another note...I'll do my best to clear things up in regards to dyno #'s etc..My car has been on the dyno quite a bit at BR. As David commented he does not put notes, etc..on all of them so it is hard to keep track of what did what. His comparison of the two is still pretty close and is a great guideline to go by. You should all appreciate that and what he does to help grow this hobby.

When we first tuned my car on the Red on E85 @ 37 psi it made 482 whp & 459 ft/lbs (4th gear pull...same for rest of post). This was about the most we could get out of it while keeping the tune 'safe'. I drove it like this all summer until I was lucky enough to get the Black on the car.

At the Shootout I made two pulls with the Red setup. First gave me similar power to that just stated. I didn't expect anything different honestly. On the second pull I flipped my OEM BOV which resulted in a spike to 41-42 psi which made 494 whp & 507 ft/lbs. I was having issues with my BOV leaking up top so flipping it was the easiest solution. We were logging the car on this pull and noticed the spike in boost caused air/fuels to run pretty lean. David and I both agreed to turn the boost back down to keep things safe. I now run a Tial BOV with the Black and the boost leak issue is gone.

On the Red my best ET was a 10.50 @ 131.5 mph. Sadly I was never able to pull a solid sixty and clean pass together. I sheared 4th gear off at the Shootout and the car has sat until about 3 weeks ago. She now has a fresh Bushwacker trans and shifts like butter. From looking at timeslips I know a 10.3x was possible on 'my car' and 'my setup' with the Red.

Now for the Black....David has more hard info on this as I was out of town when he tuned the car. On a 4th gear pull the car made about 550 whp & 529 ft/lbs at 40 psi. The tune on this pull was much safer then that of the pull on the Red during the Shootout.

IMO there is still more left on the table with this turbo. I am still on the stock ignition and feel a ignition upgrade will help really wake things up. Sure these numbers seem low to some of you on here. All dyno numbers are not the same and it is amazing how some people dwell on them.

Hopefully weather holds off this weekend and I can get some good ET's out of this thing. I agree with David and think a possible 9 second pass is there. ET and MPH improvements is what is most important to me.

This is an amazing turbo and I can't wait to see how things pan out in the near future!

Thank you Robert once again for a great turbo! Thank you David for tuning the car and giving me the chance to put this thing to the test!

To all those interested you will not be let down.

Congrats on the new turbo & power man!!! So should I expect to see you running high 9s at the shootout in NC?!?
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

wow that's impressive
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

i think im call fp to comfirm upgrade red to black and pricing might keep my red after all
Old Oct 20, 2009 | 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Just wanted to clarify on my previous statement...

Simply running a black won't blow the basement out of your block. Boost on

Quick Reply: BR presents the new FP BLACK HTA82!