Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stutter at 18 psi??!??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2009, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stutter at 18 psi??!??

I'm hoping to get an opinion on my current issue. Long story short my EBC boost solenoid went out and I installed a MBC. Now when I hit 18lbs or more my evo starts stuttering and making a pff pfff pfff sound until it hits the mid to high range then starts pulling. I believe it may just need to retuned due to the fact that I installed a Walbro 255 fuel pump after I was base flashed by AMS. I noticed that while the car sputters im running rich (low 10 AFR). I have checked with some friends and they don't believe it's the spark plugs because of the smooth idle and it only does it at 18lbs and up in the low range. So could this theory be correct? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
You are running richer considering you installed the new pump, but you should check your spark plugs and close the gap. Set it ~.020.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

yea im running 1 step colder NGK's at .022, wouldnt hurt to try that out
Old Oct 21, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most likely the pump I would say. If you do your own tuning, lean it out in the upper range of the power band, or just call AMS or another company and im sure theyd help you out. Do you have a wideband? What are your AFRs when the problem occurs?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
Most likely the pump I would say. If you do your own tuning, lean it out in the upper range of the power band, or just call AMS or another company and im sure theyd help you out. Do you have a wideband? What are your AFRs when the problem occurs?
They hit around 10.1-10.5