Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! Mod test-pipe for Buschur Slip-fit??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Mod test-pipe for Buschur Slip-fit??

I currently have a Buschur TBE made about 8 months ago. Unfortunately I was too car-stupid to ask for a flange at the end of the HFC instead of a slip-fit. Now I want to go to a test pipe but I can't because im not going to spend $180 or wahtever crazy amount Buschur would charge me for a test-pipe.

Do you think I can just get a used test-pipe from any company and cut off the flange? Do you guys think it would fit into the slip-fit setup? I am not sure if buschurs thickness, materials, etc would make the overall not the same size and it wouldnt fit.

How else would I go about getting a test-pipe. I have a local selling a test-pipe with gutted stock-cat welded around it but I havent bought it yet cause I am not sure I can get it to work without significant welding which I don't wanna pay for.

Naor
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

If anyone experienced could chime-in even if its not 100%, the seller wont hold this for me for much longer.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Take it to a muffler shop. It sounds like all you need is a 3" pipe with a 3" flange welded to one side. The materials shouldn't be more than $30 or so for a flange and the pipe....even less if you don't need the flange.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Actually, now that I think about it, a muffler shop isn't going to work on your car if there is no HFC so.....

Take a measurement of the length of testpipe you need (this will be the length of the existing hfc). Call a muffler shop and have them make you a testpipe out of a 3" pipe with a 3" flange welded to one side. Don't tell them this is replacing your cat. If they ask, this is connecting to your cat.

Does this make sense?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Another option....

Buy a 3" flange. Buy a 3" pipe in the length you need. Slip them together. Go to ANY place that welds and have them weld the flange to the pipe. Problem solved and probably the cheapest route.

You might also need an o2 bung, which can also be purchased at any muffler shop.

Piping (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-640030/#)

Flange (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-31942/)

Last edited by McDougal; Oct 22, 2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

that would be the same as cutting off the flange on a 3" testpipe wouldnt it? Then it would be a 3" pipe with only 1 side with a flange on it.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ronitlancer
that would be the same as cutting off the flange on a 3" testpipe wouldnt it? Then it would be a 3" pipe with only 1 side with a flange on it.

Pretty much. The only issue you might run into is that it wouldn't be long enough. I would think that the slip-fit testpipe is a little longer so that it can slip into the next section of pipe. However, even if this is the case you could just have another few inches of 3" pipe welded on
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

I think you are right and I was considering the same thing but then again, I could just pull the exhaust back about an inch, I don't think it would be very noticeable. I'll have to see how flush its sitting right now with the bumper.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Be careful...the test pipe slips over the midpipe so if ur thinking of just buying a straight section of 3" pipe and welding a flange on it, it wont slip onto the midpipe. I bought a used, way older buschur testpipe, with no flange, from a member on here a couple years back. it had 2 slip fit sections (on either end) so i ended up cutting one off, losing about 2-3 inches from total exhaust length, and welding up a mild steel flange (got it for free). the shorter length has ended up being a bit of a pain in the *** since the hangers dont mate up so well anymore, and forcing them causes the slip-fit sections to gradually slide apart, causing slight leaks. ive managed rig it up leak-free however. anyway, before i start to ramble, the straight 3" pipe wont fit, and be sure on ur pipe length if your going to diy. id go to your local muffler shop, or some kind of fab shop and see if they have in the way of 3" with slip fitting...just found a pic so u see what im talking about

One other option would be to buy the length of straight 3" pipe and get 2 flanges, one for the tp and one for the midpipe. you may have to cut some length off of one pipe to account for the additional length from 2 flanges. good luck
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
The buschur pipe is 3" on the outside diameter. If you buy any 3" inner diameter pipe you can easily slip fit it on to his catback section and use the posi-seal clamp to clamp it tight.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

I dont get what u mean Yog,

One side will slip into the other, why would it be a problem? A 3" pipe is a 3" pipe, what would the difference of a Buschur pipe be.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

When someone says they are running a 3" pipe it means the inner diameter is 3". So, what he is saying is that the outer diameter of the Buschur pipe is 3", which means that the inner diameter is actually less than 3". The outer diameter being 3" allows it to "slip" into a 3" pipe.

However, it looks to me that the end of the slip fit system are actually a little larger than 3".
Old Oct 22, 2009, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

i did this to mine all you got to do make sure you got a 3" inner diameter pipe for it to work if you get a 3" outer it will be a alittle small and the clamp will be lose on that side...
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

im buying a test-pipe with a cat shell welded on, so worst comes to worst i can weld on a 3" inner to the end of its too small so its not so loose.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Obviously you have not seen this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-exhaust.html

I made a muffler test pipe. All I did was buy a 14 long body muffler and welded a 2 bolt flange on one side for the downpipe and the other side left it a lone and it fit snug over the buschur catback pipe.

Also since the slip over side is slightly larger than the slip under, I used the same style clamp Buschur offers. It is offset one end smaller diameter than the other to create a positive all around seal.

Quick Reply: Help! Mod test-pipe for Buschur Slip-fit??