Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Not just another clutch thread.... hopefully

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not just another clutch thread.... hopefully

I know there are a lot of “which clutch should I buy” threads out there. I have done a lot of searching but have not found much info on EVO 9 MR clutches. I own an EVO 9 MR and need a new clutch. My car is bone stock but I plan on getting the Works TR-303 power kit that will give me around 300 hp, but I need a new clutch first. An Exedy Twin would be nice but I can’t afford it, and it would be a bit overkill for my car. My EVO is a daily driver so I am thinking about getting a single plate organic clutch and keeping the stock flywheel. What do you guys think I should do? Any of you MR guys have an opinion on the clutch you are running or have had in the past? Thanks for any info you can give me. And if there is all ready a thread that has covered this then can you post the link?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The MR may have a 6-speed but that doesn't make it special/different when it comes to clutches. Whatever you read in the millions of other Evo clutch threads applies to your car too.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:47 PM

Ha. Well that makes me feel stupid. For some reason I thought the 6-speed would make a difference, but I guess not. Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 04:49 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
organic, im going with that when my oem clutch goes
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:23 PM

I was thinking of getting this clutch. Anyone have experience with this one? Good or bad reviews? Any thoughts?

From the Works website:

WORKS Clutch Kit 1
$599.00

Producing power is one thing... getting it to the ground is another. The WORKS line of clutch upgrades for the EVO is available to help ensure that the extra output offered by our Power Packages is finding its way to the tarmac, gravel or snow.

WORKS Clutch Kit CK1:
Ideal for the street-level enthusiast with basic bolt-ons seeking a clutch with stock pedal feel and extra holding power. This setup will NOT increase pedal stiffness, but has a clamping force that is 140% the capacity of the stock unit. Good for up to 400 ft-lbs of torque, but not recommended for drag race applications.

Last edited by WEB187; Oct 22, 2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:38 PM

Let me know if I am repeating questions that have been gone over a million times and I will stop. If this has been gone over then could you post a link to the thread? Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Why do you need a new clutch - is it slipping?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:49 PM

It only slips a bit at take off. But its more of a jerking than slipping. Feels like it engages then stops then engages then stops, so it makes my car lurch a lil bit. Its not too bad but its the stock clutch and it has 86,000 miles on it. So I don't think the clutch has much life left, and I think I should replace it before I get the works TR-303 power package. Clutch would probably fry with the extra torque my car will be putting on the drive train.

Last edited by WEB187; Oct 23, 2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Exedy Stage 2 Cerametallic. Engages smoothly and it's quiet. So far so good!
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Despite what people say about the ACT and alot of research I went with the ACT cluth in my car, I got the ACT Xtreme Street Clutch kit (MB7-XTSS) with the ACT StreetLite Flywheel, also installed the cluch line. So far so good for me, the pedal is stiff, but is acceptable for me, I like it better than the stock pedal, it engages very hard, you have to relearn how to drive the car but in all is what I wanted, now it feels like a fast car. So far I have 300 miles, I did a 2nd gear to 5th gear roll and it shifts perfect, better than before. I had it install by a local shop that has done many Evos and STI's and never had any issues with this cluch, he recomended it to me, that is why I went with ACT despite all the lock out issues I have read on this forum. I recomend getting lower motor mount if you plan on installing any aftermarket cluch and maybe the rear trany mount, that makes a lot of difference, this ACT cluch really engages hard and without the motor mount you are going to have problems but if you plan on modding your car that is what you want, a cluch that can hold a lot of torque.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:35 PM

That's some good info. Have any suggestions on what company to go with for the trany and lower motor mounts?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

if your not looking to launch your car often just throw in an exedy stage 1.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i just had works do my 60k and asked about how much the stage 1 kit + install would be. with the flywheel, they said around $2k. i may shop around a little bit more. they are a good shop though. just a lil on the expensive side.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:53 AM

I agree. Works is awesome but expensive. I wish I could afford to have an all Works car, but the only thing I can afford to get is the TR-303 power package. . . hopefully. I'm still saving up. Can't afford to go with them for my clutch, which sux cuz they have the clutch/flywheel setup I really want, but $2,000 is way out of my budget.

Last edited by WEB187; Oct 26, 2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by italianevo88
if your not looking to launch your car often just throw in an exedy stage 1.
You know any good flywheel combos with that clutch?

Last edited by WEB187; Oct 26, 2009 at 12:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Not just another clutch thread.... hopefully